1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Revisited: Paul George for Victor Oladipo

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ballscientist1, Apr 16, 2018.

1. ballscientist1

In my opinion, Pacers get a better deal because Victor Oladipo is underpaid by 90 million.

Oladipo still has 4-year contract remaining at 84 million. George is going to get overpaid contract in 3 months.

Last summer, Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert declared, unsolicited, that Indiana "could've done better than it did" in the trade that sent Paul George to the Oklahoma City Thunder in exchange for a package that included Victor Oladipo.

First Kevin Love trade Proposal:
    Warriors: get Love
    Wolves get: nba double-double leader David Lee, Draymond Green and Klay Thompson

Second Love trade proposal
    Love for George straight up

link:
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...an-gilbert-post-trade-remarks-added-fuel-fire

2. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I'd still take Paul George 10 out of 10 times over Victor Oladipo in a trade.

I wish Morey had thrown Gordon in there with Ryno for PG last summer.

65 wins and playing with Harden and Paul would have easily convinced him to re-sign with the Rockets.

George is the perfect fit on this team.

#2 ghettocheeze, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    gatsby, Madeinchin4, amaru and 3 others like this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He was crafted out of clay to be a running mate with Harden.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

its ok. we may just get pg13 in hou for nothing. things always have a strange way of working themselves out

Hakeemtheking and ghettocheeze like this.
  5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The whole - let's over-hype Oladipo - train needs to derail. He's not a foundational piece.

ghettocheeze likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

That has been my position and while I don't think he is a #1 on an elite team...... he has become a genuine all star at 25 years old and if he improves much more, he will be an alpha on the perimeter.

He averaged over 23 points a game this year, led the league in steals, was very efficient and showed an elite skill, he can turn a corner better than the overwhelming majority of players.

7. 1Deep

1Deep Member

While Oladipo may never be a true superstar I must admit that I now believe Indiana did better in the PG trade than I thought they did when it was first announced.

8. ballscientist1

George is not going to be true superstar either.

Cavs should trade Love for Oladipo.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Even if George is still the better player of that deal, i think everyone already changed his mind about this trade at this point. At the time everyone was laughing at Pritchard for making an awful trade but Oladipo and Sabonis turned out to be really good so, yeah, he actually made an amazing trade considering the situation.

I'm pretty sure Morey did, Gordon was the only asset we had to trade for George, perfect to match salaries too...i guess the Pacers just liked Oladipo and Sabonis more due to thier age, Gordon injury history probably didn't help either.

ghettocheeze and Nook like this.
  10. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

George just had a top 5, Game 1 of the playoffs performance. Great timing OP :rolleyes:.

11. ballscientist1

Gordon and Capela for George, maybe.

please don't include Ryan's contract for George.

how bout this,

Ryan's contract/ 2 first round picks for Kevin Love via 3rd team? Love has overpaid contract too.

#11 ballscientist1, Apr 16, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  12. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

So, what's the latest on PG? Is he hell bent on going to LALA land? If not, I think we have a decent shot.

13. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

During last year's playoffs I thought the thunder had some nice pieces and wished that Morey would buy low on them. Oladipo being one of them. I thought he could be as valuable to a team like how Beverly was for us.

His trade though put me in the same position as most people I think, even with Paul George being just a year's rental, I thought OKC stole the trade.

Oladipo being this good this year I think sealed it. Great contract for the pacers.

14. ballscientist1

Do you think if there is a chance that Thunder accept this trade?

Ryan Anderson/picks for Oladipo last summer

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

No. Unless we talk about a couple of unprotected 1st rounders.

malakas likes this.
  16. malakas

malakas Member

I dont see any point in revisiting this trade.
    There were no signs that Oladipo would become all star caliber.
    Noone could have predicted it including the Pacers FO.

17. pacertom

pacertom Member

Oladipo WANTS to be there, LONG TERM, is a LEADER, plus you get Sabonis also

Great trade for the Pacers

ReignSupreme likes this.
  18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I loved Sabonis but hated that trade for Indiana. I was not happy they chose that deal... Oladipo looked overpaid to me and they got no picks. I couldn't have been more wrong.

Now... let's hope Paul George bails on OKC.

joshuaao, Nick_713, Emtenndo and 4 others like this.
  19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Don’t forget that his defense is pretty legit.

He may not ever be a top 5 maybe not even top 10 player.

But I could see him being a butler/pg13 level all star. Could be a good #1 but better off being a great #2

Nook likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think PG is a tad bit overrated. He's one of the best 3 and D guys and has the ability and athleticism to slash .. but he doesn't create shots for teammates and his own shooting is streaky. He's about a top 20 player while oladipo is probably right at 30. Oladipo is younger and is under control for longer. When you add in Sabonis who is a skilled young big, INDY did quite well. OKC also did well if PG keeps up his play in the playoffs, but the trade was much riskier for them because PG could leave this summer.

split41 and BigShasta like this.