1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reuters] Houston poised to pass Chicago as third largest US city

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/americas-city-rankings-set-texas-sized-shake-houston-130507316.html

lol by the first sentence, the writer is clearly bitter about it

2. Cranberry_Juice

I hope it doesn't. Trying to find a job and buying houses away from Katy is hard enough as it is.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Urban sprawl FTW

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah because Chicago's traffic is so great. And you can't find parking.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Freakin' DFW traffic is starting to get terrible because of the influx of people, too. Chicago's been dead population-wise for years, hasn't it? I think I remember reading they gained something like 90 people last year. lol. People have been expecting Houston to pass Chicago for a while now. It's inevitable, I suppose. I just hope I can get the heck outside of metroplexes before the traffic is much worse, but at the rate companies are moving to Dallas, for example, I doubt I will.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Unless Houston does something about the reliance on autos this city is going to suck. It'll basically be LA bad traffic with 10x worse weather and less things to do.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Don't live in the burbs

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Hopefully the large population can draw in some corporate HQs for big retail, banks and full fledged manufacturing, maybe even build another Compaq. Is Chicago really in some kind of decline?

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I think the best solution might be to get more corporate campuses out of the loop.

10. Eric Riley

Eric Riley Contributing Member

****k. Gotta evacuate Katy now.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This is kind of what happened/is happening in the DFW area with cities like Plano/Frisco/Allen being another corporate hub and having tons of technical talent in their population. The problem now is the sprawl is starting to get huge. The MSA population for DFW is 4th behind NY, LA, and Chicago. I wish the rail system was a bit larger and more city-encompassing to help handle the boom in population up here.

12. houstontexans

houstontexans Member

Need to evacuate Katy.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Pretty sure one hp's biggest campuses is in Houston.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

That *was* a pretty salty first line, LOL. Sheesh.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Blinded by the constant barrage of gunfire and an average of a baker's dozen worth of weekly murders, an prominent Illinois city is set to fall.....

1 person likes this.
  16. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I'd rather try to set up a real public transportation network that would foster greater density within the loop. There is already enough sprawl in Houston as it is.

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The city already blows unless you live in CL, Sugarland or any of the other good burbs. Summer is f-in hot, and the only way you can bring anyone out here is to bribe them with low-taxes and high wages.

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Megacities aren't that great anyways. Chicago should focus on making the south side less of a warzone.

Dat sprawl is pretty much like a fat man with clogged arteries. He knows what's good for him but he sure as hell not gonna do what people tell him to do.

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Houston has been one of the fastest-growing U.S. cities for years, fueled by an energy industry that provided the backbone of the economy, low taxes and prospects of employment that have attracted job seekers.

But Houston also embodies the new, urban Texas, where political views have been drifting to the left, diversity is being embraced and newer residents are just as likely to drive a hybrid as a pickup truck.

_____

By the third sentence OP is bitter.

20. duwende

duwende Member

it's all about living inside the loop! everything i need is in a 2 mile radius. (gas, shops, bars, grocery, work). My commute to work in 15 minutes max.