1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Republican Says Blacks Should Be Bused To Farms To Pick Crops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Malcolm, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

http://www.buffalonews.com/topics/chris-lee/special-election/article367437.ece

Congressional candidate Jack Davis shocked local Republican leaders in a recent interview when he suggested that Latino farmworkers be deported -- and that African-Americans from the inner city be bused to farm country to pick the crops.

Several sources who were in the Feb. 20 endorsement interview with Davis confirmed his comments, which echo those he made to the Tonawanda News in 2008, when he said: "We have a huge unemployment problem with black youth in our cities. Put them on buses, take them out there [to the farms] and pay them a decent wage; they will work."

When Davis repeated those sentiments in the recent interview, the Republican leaders -- who later delivered the party endorsement for the vacant seat in the 26th Congressional District to Assemblywoman Jane L. Corwin of Clarence -- said they couldn't believe what they were hearing.

"I was thunderstruck," said Amherst GOP Chairman Marshall Wood. "Maybe in 1860 that might have been seen by some as an appropriate comment, but not now."

Davis spokesman W. Curtis Ellis acknowledged that Davis' comments "may not be politically correct and ... may not be racially correct."

The revelations about Davis highlighted a busy Monday in the race to replace Rep. Chris Lee, an Amherst Republican who resigned last month after getting caught in an Internet flirtation with a woman who wasn't his wife.

The state Independence and Conservative parties endorsed Corwin on Monday, and local tea party activists held a candidate forum at Brennan's Bowery Pub in Clarence featuring Davis, Iraq War veteran David Bellavia, of Batavia, and Amherst Council Member Mark A. Manna, a Democrat.

When asked before the event about the comments he made, Davis replied: "It's politics." He did not address the remarks when he spoke to those assembled at the event.

During the Feb. 20 endorsement interview with the district's Republican leaders, Davis "repeatedly almost disqualified himself" by contradicting typical party positions, said Gordon Brown, the Wyoming County GOP chairman.

Davis, an Akron industrialist, ran for Congress as a Democrat in 2004, 2006 and 2008, and was seeking the GOP nod this time.

Spurned by the party, he is now collecting signatures in hopes of appearing as the Tea Party candidate in the May 24 special election.

Through his campaigns, Davis has struck a populist bent, raging against the impact free trade has had on local manufacturing and the effect illegal immigration has had on the country. Sources said he repeated those sentiments in the February meeting with GOP leaders.

"The most racist part was where he said he was busing the blacks in to pick the vegetables," Brown said.

Davis' comment came in response to a question about immigration, a major issue in the rural parts of the 26th District, where many farmers rely on migrant workers -- who are supposed to be on a temporary work visa -- to pick the crops.

When Davis made his comment, "the room sort of went silent," Brown said. "It was like: Did I just hear that?"

Still, Ellis defended Davis' comments.

"It may not be politically correct and it may not be racially correct, but when you have African American people in Buffalo who do not have jobs and are out of work, why are you bringing people into this country illegally to take jobs?" Ellis asked.

Charging that Republicans were discussing Davis' comments now because they don't want him on the ballot, Ellis added: "If you want somebody who only has poll-tested words come out of their mouths, Jane Corwin is your candidate."

Meanwhile, Corwin announced that the Independence and Conservative parties had endorsed her, meaning she will have three lines on the ballot.

"Jane Corwin is a proven conservative who will fight for Western New York," said Michael R. Long, the Conservative Party chairman.

Corwin said: "The support I've been shown by so many has been truly humbling."

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

This guy actually used to be democrat. He tried running as a republican, then switched, now I guess he's switched back.

I seem to recall the negative campaign ads against him a few years back always referred to him as "MILLIONAIRE Jack Davis..." which I always thought was hilarious.

I'd say something about his comments, but I mean, does anything really need to be said?

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And it sounds like the local Republican party doesn't want anything to do with this guy.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Ahahahahahahaha

Oh boy, I would love to have been in the room when he made those comments and heard the deafening sound of silence.

I can only imagine him going "What I say?"

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Since he echoed these same comments in 2008, when he ran as a Democrat, why didn't you post it then?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is he mainly talking about cotton or also fruits and veggies?

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Title should be changed to "Nutjob Says..."

edwardc likes this.
  8. Steve_Francis_rules

Well, for one thing, it was probably before the OP's October 2008 join date.

9. dback816

dback816 Member

Can Republicans do anything right?

edwardc and plutoblue11 like this.
  10. edwardc

edwardc Member

What a idiot

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sounds like he's not really a Republican, seeing as he has never won an election, a primary, or even an endorsement from the Republican Party. Plus, he hasn't shown any allegiance to that party, having previously called himself a Democrat and now hoping to call himself a Tea Partier.

In any case, if he doesn't know he can't say things like that in public, he's an idiot and doesn't have a future in politics. His explanation sounds perfectly rational and yet it was so so wrong.

12. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

coming from these freaks...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1CpRCc4Jre8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

lol, I find this bit funny.

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

so I guess the theory is...if you're too nutty to be a democrat....run as a republican....and if you're even too crazy to be a republican....there's always the teaparty?

2 people like this.
  15. da_juice

da_juice Member

And if that doesn't work... there's always the Constitution Partyhttp://www.constitutionparty.com/.

16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Give the unemployed jobs instead of illegal immigrants, including free transportation to and from work? What is wrong with that idea? He isn't saying that they should be forced to work the fields, or that they should do it without pay. Would it be wrong to offer a black person at the employment office a job picking cotton? Sure it sounds like a dumb statement to make, and the slavery imagery is there if you want to take it in that direction, but there isn't really anything wrong with what he proposes (unless you are one of the people that thinks illegal immigrants should not be deported). It was dumb for a politician to say something that writes the attack ads against him, of course. There is no need to limit it to black people, but I am not familiar with the demographics of the unemployed in Buffalo, maybe black people make up the bulk of that group.

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I see what he's trying to say, so...

[​IMG]

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

I met some high school students from Buffalo on their senior trip a couple of years ago. I don't think any of them were black, but from talking to them, I got the feeling Buffalo wasn't doing so well economically. A lot of the kids I met were going straight to work, about 25% were going to community college, and only a handful were going to a four year program. For a lot of them, the senior trip was their only time to leave the area. I'm sure there are areas like that in every area, but I got the impression most of the Buffalo metropolitan area was poor.

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Mmmm ...

20. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Actually it is you are too nutty to be a democrat, stay there...you'll blend in better...