1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Wagner Thinks He Will Be Gone from Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Manny Ramirez, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Nomar

Nomar Member

Hanley Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis.

The Reds are a terrible team.

At least I make points that you can't refute.

2. Major

Major Member

All he would have to do is spend the money one year for starting pitching and some clutch hitting to punch up the roster, win a World Series,

You mean like adding an Alou and a Randy Johnson?

3. Major

Major Member

He could win back the confidence of his long time players, who might actually then go out and win a meaningful game, knowing that their owner has, in his words, "done what it takes to be a champion".

Yes, because the players only play hard if they like their owner.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i remember the mcmullen days all too well. drayton is a good owner. the astros have seen the best days of their 40 some-odd years history under Drayton McLane.

again..money doesn't guarantee anything. they've had teams that had enough talent to win...and they haven't even won a playoff series.

5. ChucklesG

ChucklesG Member

LOL, Nomar, look up sarcasm in a dictionary. And yes, the sarcasm was painfully obvious, as every team at least has 2 good prospects. BTW, thanks for taking Williamson off our hands.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly. Billy and the rest of the players need to stop blaming management for their own failures and look in the mirror. Drayton has yet to ground into an inning ending double play or blow a save the last week of a division race.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can not run a sports team by just the bottom line, that is ignoring the appreciation of it entirely.

Drayton is cheap, has been cheap, and will be cheap.

I remember him saying the Astrodome was a perfect place to watch a football or baseball game, then the Oilers left, and the next year he was whining about a new stadium for himself.

Hypocrit.

DD

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

tell ya what...you come up with $70 million for payroll, and then you will earn the right to call Drayton cheap. that's laughable, da da

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The only way to get Scrooge's attention is to hit him where it hurts - the pocketbook. I hope he got the memo on the drop in attendance.

But he's too busy paying off Baylor athletes to care about what happens to the Astros (I just went there ;))

10. Nomar

Nomar Member

Anybody else see sarcasm?

I sure didn't.

Nice try.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Before anyone gets upset, I'm just joking. We all know someone affiliated with a university like Baylor would never do anything like this.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I would love for us to get somebody like Casey Fossum, Byung Hyung Kim and maybe a speedy center field prospect from Boston for Wags.

...ok, I'm biased, I played with Casey in high school, but still he has potential. He has had some tendinitis that has held him back this year.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Drayton doesn't want to pay that huge contract of Wagner's. Look for him to be traded. I believe Dotel is going to be our future closer. He wants to be.

14. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Why would Boston have to give up any great prospects to take a 9million dollar bill off Drayton's hands? The most they offered in rumors last summer was Shea Hillebrand for Wagner. If we could get Kim to be a starter for us i would consider that a steal.

15. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Now that's the best recipe for disaster that I ever saw!

16. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

Being a Korean, I'd love to have BK on the team. Being an Astros fan, I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole. Kim as a starter wasn't disastrous this year, but it definitely isn't what we want/need in the rotation. His inconsistency and propensity to give up HRs is just NOT what we need in the juice box. I'm sure there's some other team we could trade with if that's all the BoSox were offering.