1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report says Raptors shipping Chris Bosh to Miami Heat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ChrisBosh, Jun 30, 2010.

1. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baske...aptors-shipping-chris-bosh-to-miami-heat?bn=1

Maybe LeBron James isn’t the first NBA domino to fall in free agency after all.

A report from Miami says the Raptors and Heat have agreed to a sign-and-trade transaction that would see Chris Bosh head to Florida in return for a package that includes forward Michael Beasley, guard Mario Chalmers, centre-forward Joel Anthony along with a trade exception and possibly draft picks.

Toronto sources had no comment on the report, which was originally posted on the Twitter account of an ESPN contributor.

If it’s true, the deal cannot be consummated until the NBA’s free agency period opens at 12:01 a.m. Thursday and cannot be officially announced by either team until a signing moratorium is lifted at 12:01 a.m. July 8.

However, an unnamed NBA agent told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that he expects his client to join the Heat soon after the process officially begins.

If the deal happens as reported, it would give Toronto a handful of assets for the franchise’s all-time leader in points and rebounds.

However, team sources have told the Star repeatedly they had very little interest in Beasley, the former second overall draft pick who has been plagued by inconsistent play and off-court issues since he joined the Heat.

The 6-10 forward averaged 14.3 points and 6.4 assists for the Heat last season but often was benched in the fourth quarter of games because of defensive liabilities.

Chalmers is a 6-1 point guard with two years experience. He averaged 7.1 points and 3.4 assists for the Heat last year and his arrival – if the Bosh deal comes off – could prompt Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo to move one of Jarrett Jack or Jose Calderon in another transaction.

Anthony is a restricted free agent and would become the first Canadian to play with the Raptors if he’s a member of the team when the 2010-11 regular season opens. The 6-9 forward made less than $1 million last year, opted out of his contract last week and the Heat made him a qualifying offer this week to retain his rights.

The trade exception that Toronto would receive could be worth up to about $9 million and would allow the Raptors to obtain a player or players making that much without giving up a player in return.

Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said earlier this week that obtaining as many assets as he could for Bosh would be his primary goal in the free-agency period.

It had long been thought that the more significant free agents – including Miami’s Dwyane Wade, Bosh, Atlanta’s Joe Johnson and Phoenix’s Amare Stoudemire – would wait for James to decide his future before signing with any teams.
    Also see:

2. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

Who in the hell are they even going to have left on their team?

3. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

So assuming this is true, and that Miami signs Wade to the max as well, they have... Wade and Bosh, then the three rookies Pittman, Varnado, and Butler? And that's it?

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Miami doesn't want anyone left on their team - they want to clear out the entire roster in order to sign Bosh-Wade-James to as close to the max as possible.

If they do this, Wade has to sign next to remove the cap hold from Miami holding onto his rights.

It will be very interesting to see exactly what dollar amount Bosh signs for, assuming this is legit.

Evan

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

They are going to be laughably bad if one of their "stars" gets injured.

6. Egghead

Egghead Member

they'll have 3 Max players and 9 minimum level players

7. worzel gummidge

Well, there were doubts about the Celtics big 3 when they were put together...

8. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Equals championship?

Not a snowball's chance in hell.

I don't know why players like Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh don't realize that 2-3 superstars + CRAP won't work.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's not legit. Read the article - Toronto has been insistent on not being interested in Beasley, and why would they be? LeBatard is a Miami homer and is pumping exactly what he and his readers want to hear. Don't believe this until you hear it from a non-Heat source.

10. echu888

echu888 Member

They could possibly pick up some savvy veterans on the cheap who are wanting to get an easy ring...

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The difference is that Celtics really had a big 4 without anyone knowing about it. They also had Perkins. Miami would have no one outside those 3.

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I agree this is great for Miami the only people who don't like it are mad Rockets fans cause we missed out on Bosh.

13. worzel gummidge

Maybe it is? Read the "caravan" thread in the GARM...

14. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Someone tell me how far off I am with these estimates

Two Max Contracts = $37 mil
    Salary Cap = $52 mil
    Left over = $15 mil

If they sign 10 other players it would be 1.5 million each.

I'm kind of intrigued to see how this would play out.

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

They did it thru trade that's the BIG difference, they didn't have to ship out every single player to form their big 3. They still kept Rondo, House, Perkins, etc, pretty much most their bench.

There's no way Toronto is taking back Beasley, Chalmers, and for real JOEL FREAKIN ANTHONY :confused: for Chris Bosh. Wow, those are not great assets at all.

16. Rockets1988-

Rockets1988- Member

I refuse to believe anything until tom. morning at 12:01 AM.... give it a rest, lets just see what unfolds... this is starting to get really annoying, and it shouldnt, this should be exciting. I read this morning that Paul Pierce Opt out, John Salmons ( Opt out - 19.9 PPG last season, and (on the trade block)Melo are going to be in the market as well as the other 20 other Excellent players that are in this Free Agency. I WANT TO ENJOY THIS, never in the NBA's history has a summer been this loaded with talent. Enjoy it and quit speculating from pieces of poop like Dan LeBastard. Please.

17. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

can they sign a bunch of players which would put them over the cap, but wait to resign wade until the end so they can go over the cap for his 17 million or so using his bird rights?

18. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

True, but they got lucky with how quickly Rondo developed, not to mention the great defensive philosophy then instilled led by KG in his prime. Also, those 3 complimented each other so well. Lastly, as all 3 were well into their careers, they sacrificed their touches and consequently their stats to win. Miami would be quite different imo. Wade, James, and Bosh are still relatively young which usually means they'll be stat-hungry, and will need the ball in their hands to operate; it may take them some time to build that chemistry. But I still wouldn't bet against them if they do get all 3. My only point is that just because it worked in Boston doesn't guarantee anything.

1 person likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

if this deal was already worked out, David Stern would have a lot of fining to do...heck, might even stop the deal entirely. i was under the assumption this type of stuff can't possibly be worked out, by NBA rules, before hand??

i "think" Wade counts against their cap at some multiplier of his previous years salary...maybe even like 2x as much...

...unless they denounce his rights...which they won't do because then they lose those bird rights.

so i don't think your suggestion is possible.

20. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

I told you guys. Signs lead to Houston, but Bosh is staying in Miami. Has been for the last week. Anyone reading his tweets will know this. I dont know why Morey is sending out a caravan.