1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Rockets could aggressively pursue Paul George

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jun 6, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Can you blame them? My only issue with trading two #1s in this scenario is that you'd have ZERO assets to attach to Ryno.

Nook likes this.
  2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Because our system creates so many good midrange opportunities?

What makes you think that Paul George is a good midrange shooter?

3. justtxyank

Why are so many posters obsessed with shooting mid range jump shots? I know it is brutal when we have cold stretches from 3, but before teams started shooting tons of 3s we still had teams (including the Rockets under JVG) that would brutal shooting games from the floor.

HP3 likes this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If Presti really wants two number ones be better be ready to send Melo and George for Ryno and Gordon.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

But will PG aggressively pursue Houston?? The more important question.

Any conceivable, even if not remotely likely, ways to get both PG and Lebron?

6. Nook

Nook Member

No, I absolutely wouldn't blame them. I would do the same thing. Especially if you can hypothetically keep Clint Capela. With the increase in the value of sports franchises since legal sports betting, and Tilman's desire to be respected/known in the community, I wouldn't be completely shocked if he keeps Anderson if he has to for the two years and simply bites the bullet on the tax for the next few years.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Hate to be that guy but this is non news. Rockets basically have interest in anyone relevant, news would be that PG would give the Rockets a meeting or that he had a list of teams with the Rockets being among the teams.

Still think he’s a solid 90% lock for LA. That being said, id prefer him to Lebron (not because he’s a better player, but because he’d be perfect for the team).

8. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Chris Paul takes a low contract and likely Lebron does the same. (Said before he had no plans on doing that) Gotta find a suitor for Anderson and take back no salary (hard) and possibly dump Gordon too, possibly Nene... both moves im not a fan of... but yeah then you get PG and Lebron.

9. Nook

Nook Member

We will know pretty quickly.

I still think he takes the super max from the Thunder.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Presti has no control over if he wants to go to the Lakers, but if he wants to come to Houston, Presti isn’t just gonna pass up the opportunity to get something in return for him. Ego, salary filler, and a pick is a good return.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I respectfully disagree. George is younger, but he appears to be a glorified Ariza on quite a few occasions. That isn't surprising after his horrible injury. Don't get me wrong about Trevor's value to the Rockets. He gives us very good defense consistently in big games and occasional shooting. Trevor may ironically decrease the pressure on George in the short term, and of course vice versa, if OKC can be persuaded to trade him to Houston.

PG is looking for 30 M from LA. If he opts in for a S/T with Houston, he won't be making more than 20.7 M. I believe that PG and Lebron would have Houston high on their lists, if TF/DM had the cap room for them.

#51 saleem, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Well to be fair, i’m giving the 8% to the Thunder, 2% to other. It’s weird that there hasn’t been as many rumblings with him as the last offseason. May be because of his surgery, may be because he’s comfortable in OKC as opposed to Indy, may also be that his mind’s made up to LA and everyone already knows that.

13. justtxyank

I'd be happy to add a glorified, younger Ariza. Great defense? Good shooting? Better than Ariza playmaking? Sign me up.

Of course Lebron is better. Lebron is better than Harden.

Don't let perfect be the enemy of good though.

(all of this is probably moot as I'm not in the camp that thinks this is realistic)

Obito likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

But if George leaves for nothing the gap between them and GS/HOU would be even great.

And Gordon btw would be a starter there, pretty good fit between Westbrook and Roberson, i'd say on paper even better than George.

Looking forward to see what Melo will do though, i think he has the chance to be a factor here too, cause if he leaves that would give OKC cap space to go after one/two good players in free agency, but if Melo opts in they won't have any room to improve other than the MLE which is likely not going to give them back a solid starter.

Anyway, i kinda feel the same about Presti not having interest in trade George to us for the reasons we know, but in the end, who knows...Presti is also the guy who went all in last summer with Melo and George probably because he was scared about Westbrook not staying there, that might force him to do something to make his team as better as possible this summer too. In the end, at least if Melo stays there, for OKC it's either ride with Westbrook, Melo and Adams (first round exit at best), or get something back (and Gordon is good) and try to get at least to the second round, they won't be able to improve the roster if not with the MLE anyway, and that won't likely get them a solid starter.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

So the better alternative is telling Westbrook that after KD left for nothing in return, Paul George is about to dip too while they get absolutely nothing back?

Ego can be their starting SG, average 20 ppg, and be a high volume 3 point shooter for them. He fits in well there.

16. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

Wait....Morey and the rockets might be aggresive in signing a top free agent :eek:

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

PG Is waaaay more cheaper than LeBron. We don't need 'Bron.

Chanmarr likes this.
  18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

@BimaThug Are we able to get this guy under our crazy salary cap?

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Not sure. My best guess is that people assume that a shorter shot is easier so that players should be good at it. Maybe because a free throw is midrange then they assume that guys should be automatic from midrange.

The point that people tend to overlook is that you can shoot a better percentage from midrange but that doesn't mean that it's a more efficient shot.

Because you're getting an extra point on each shot behind the arc then you'd have to shoot 50% better from midrange than you do from behind the arc in order to be more efficient. That is really difficult to do.

The facts are that only 5 players in the entire league shoot at least 50% from midrange. 50% from midrange is equivalent to 33% from behind the arc which most everyone shoots nowdays. Think about that, 5 guys in the entire league shoot 50% from midrange. The Rockets have 8 guys who shoot over the same equivalent percentage (33%) from behind the arc. That's as simple as I can state it : It's easier to shoot 33% from behind the arc than it is to shoot 50% from midrange.

I agree with your statement that you can also shoot badly from midrange too. All you have to do is look at games from the '80s when teams didn't feature 3 point shooting to the degree that they do now. Teams still went into shooting slumps and cold streaks. Midrange isn't any guarantee of success.

justtxyank likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, he is cheaper, but he is clearly looking for the max( 30M). The Lakers can offer him that. Houston can't.