1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Report: Bulls plan to trade Deng, use amnesty provision on Boozer

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by dobro1229, Jan 6, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

UPDATED- Bulls trade Deng for Bynum's unguaranteed contract and multiple draft picks/considerations.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ew-bynum-trade-bulls-20140106,0,4004271.story

Per CBS Sports-

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...to-trade-deng-use-amnesty-provision-on-boozer

The New York Daily News reports of something that's been of great dispute this season and in years past. The report indicates the Bulls plan to trade Luol Deng, but more importantly, plan to use the amnesty provision they've kept since the 2011 CBA ratification to waive Carlos Boozer.

The Bulls' game-plan for the immediate future is coming into focus. League sources with knowledge of Chicago's plans say that they'll definitely be looking to deal Luol Deng before the Feb. 20 trading deadline. Deng is a free agent this summer and the Bulls don't want to pay him anything close to top dollar. The second part of their house-cleaning: They intend on using their amnesty move this coming summer to part ways with Carlos Boozer. Boozer is scheduled to make $16.8 million next season. As we reported earlier, Derrick Rose has caught wind of the plans and is none too thrilled about being part of a rebuilding project. Tom Thibodeau won't be very happy with it, either

via Lethargic center Andrew Bynum could soon find himself without league to play in - Daily News.

That's a little surprising on a number of levels. Trading Boozer would be one thing. He's owed $16.8 million next season and that's a lot for a guy who will be 32 next season. He's averaging 14.6 points and 8.6 rebounds, but without knowing when or how Derrick Rose will return, the Bulls have to start hedging their bets.

But to amnesty him now has two major complications. One, it means the Bulls will still be on the hook for that $16.8 million next year, it just won't count against their cap. So if they put together a full roster by signing a major player to star next to Rose, it will be the same financially as if they were in the luxury tax. Second, why amnesty him with a single season left on the deal when you could have used it several seasons ago and conceivably built an even better team around Rose, and if not, at least a cheaper one?

Maybe it wasn't possible to do so with that money still being paid to Boozer, but it seems like a weird idea to just cut him with a year left on the max contract they signed him to in 2011.

Deng is a whole other matter, as reports have indicated that the team will both not trade the All-Star forward and that they are actively looking to deal him. Deng will be a free agent this summer and expressed frustration that he and the team failed to reach an agreement on an extension.

#1 dobro1229, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"Hmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnn............"

I said, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnnn..........."

Bulls do need to smarten up here. This draft is deep, deep, and winning your way to the higher edge of suck just so you might squeak into the playoffs and get whalloped by Indiana or Miami? PSHAW!

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I hate him, but Boozer would be a nice add to our roster.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Agreed. He will go to the highest bidder and the a Rockets aren't paying tax so we could make a claim for him.

Edit: Bima says we have to be under the cap, not just the tax.

#4 REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  5. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

What's the market like for a player like Deng?

Chicago isn't doing themselves any favors by letting any rumors like this "leak". Leaves them with next to no leverage.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Can't embed on phone but found this funny on twitter

Thibs says Boozer and Deng did not practice. Boozer's knee is still hurting. Deng got the day off. (via @NickFriedell)

7. Pete the Cheat

my eyeballs started boiling at that point of your sentence. good thing I am such a proficient typer

8. dobro1229

I think the thought process with Boozer is that he will get picked up for way more than most amnesty candidates. Could see him go for something around the mid-level possibly.

So I wouldn't be hugely shocked if the Bulls did this knowing that there would be a good amount of suitors lining up to try and get him at a reasonable cost, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets held out of the Boozer amnesty wire knowing that while he's a good player they would love to get for next to nothing, he's not the perfect fit so they will opt to wait for someone that better fits what they what to do.

9. dobro1229

With Deng, I fully expect Morey to go pretty hard at him in trade at the deadline. Not sure if the Rockets have the pieces to get him though. I dont see the Bulls wanting anything to do with Asik (unless they move Noah in a separate deal), or Lin.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

If there is anyway to form a 3-way deal and get Deng to Houston for Asik, you have to pull the trigger. Deng is a significant piece that could put us over the hump.

1 person likes this.
  11. dobro1229

Very good but his contract is what will be the main issue. 14 million means a team will need around 9 million at least going back to the Bulls who probably do not want any long term contracts coming back in the deal.

Also he's going to be a free agent so teams like say... the Lakers or Mavs will opt to just wait for this Summer to pursue. Teams that will be going after him will have to have A. Assets, B. trad-able contracts C. wanting to win now and D. the desire to bring him back this Summer.

A team like the Rockets would be ideal if they had the contracts to make it work. It just all boils down to their thoughts on Jeremy Lin and his contract and/or if they trade Noah in a separate deal... which doesn't seem likely at all.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Only teams UNDER THE CAP (not the tax threshold) may make partial waiver bids on players waived via the amnesty provision.

The Rockets (barring a trade of Asik and/or Lin in exchange for significantly less salary extending beyond this summer) are not expected to have any cap room this summer. Maybe a little if they waive everyone without guaranteed contracts and if the cap goes up more than expected. But don't plan on the Rockets having any cap room this summer unless Asik and/or Lin are traded.

13. chandlerbang21

Boozer if possible please

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ahhhh, thanks for the clarification Bima. So there is still a Possibility right?;)

15. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I could see Deng becoming the stretch 4 that Shane became when he joined the Heat.

He's got good size, 6'8", great rebounding, 6.4 per for his career, and is also very intelligent offensively and defensively. I would love to have Deng man our PF position until we had a stab at the 2015 FA class.

16. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Deng would be a nice addition to our roster if he'd sign a reasonable extension.

17. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Dont like Boozer either, but his toughness, rebounding, and decent shooting would help us a lot.

18. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

In a Houston system that already has defensive holes, it blows my mind that some people think Boozer would be a good fit. I've seen the matador let plays go by him year after year in Chicago. His offense has regressed from his days in Utah, he has no low post game, and the little offense he generates comes from ill timed fadeaways and fortunate putbacks.

I'm just hoping the Bulls can get some decent value out of Deng. I have no problems letting Boozer walk, but I would not want him on the Rockets roster either. He'll slow down the uptempo offense and be a liability across the board. Deng on the other hand would be a decent fit in Houston, but I doubt Chicago is looking for a simple Asik swap, and Asik would probably want out of that as well since his goal has been to be a starter. In Chicago, he'd regress back to the backup slot behind Joakim.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Recruit a third team like Charlotte so Chicago gets a Kidd-Gilchrist type young prospect plus whatever else they want. Just an idea.

But, overall, that's about the type of market I expect to see for Deng also. It just sucks from Chicago's end since their stance all along has been about how much they wanted to retain him. Now, it's just a matter of time before they take the best deal available to avoid losing him for nothing.

If I'm Chicago, I prefer the hardball we're-not-trading him approach. Whether true or not.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They need to go ahead and shop Thibodeau for a 1st round pick while they're at it.