1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Replace vs Repair mentatilty.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Falcons Talon, Oct 12, 2018.

1. MystikArkitect

Just depends on what it is. Certain things need faster replacing than others and typically if something makes me money and it’s easy to just load everything into it (tech, phone) then it gets replaced.

Everyone is into what they’re into. As long as it’s budgeted accordingly who cares?

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I like buying new crap as much as the next guy, but the splash guard...?

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

shoot, make that old washing machine turn a profit for you. "Remember, if women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I prefer to repair stuff. I'll do the easier stuff myself and I leave the harder stuff to the professionals. I'm a millennial and was raise by my grandma and uncle who were on welfare and disabled. I didn't have much, so I learned to appreciate the things I did have and repair them when needed.

Falcons Talon likes this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is one of the biggest factors, personally, if I ever have a "repair v replace" decision.

Whatever new thing you get, chances are, it'll have some sort of warranty attached to it. If you choose to repair the non-warrantied item on a Monday, and it breaks against on a Tuesday, you've essentially wasted the money you just spent. Meanwhile, that repair money could have just gone towards the new thing.

Cost, obviously, remains the biggest factor. If it costs $50 to repair but $500 to replace, it's easy to choose "repair." But if the thing you're trying to repair is a really old model (let's say, 2014 version of a smartphone), you'd be hard-pressed not to just fork over the remaining $450 and buy the new phone.

Lots of factors, involved.

Jontro likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

TLDR bought a replacement post

Disagree

HR Dept likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Can I Buy the car?? Hahha, also give him my number I'll buy everything he's throwing away or at least collect it (assuming he eventually lives on his own). How old is he and what's considered a millennial these days?? It's honestly pathetic, I mean it's one thing to replace something that needs replacing ie engine literally blew up and a car has been run into the ground and no sense since said engine would out cost the car etc etc and the car has other issues and isn't a classic (but a ****ing splash guard??? GTFO). For me personally I fix everything.

Anyway.. I am not sure if you've seen my posts on repair topics... But I fix everything, like everything. **** buying something that can just be fixed. I fix computers/cars/plumbing/electrical/AC/small electronics (cell phones/circuit boards etc etc.), I'm a true jack of all trades (and not a ****ing master of none, like someone who can do or help with everything not to brag hahah, but the only thing I won't touch because my wife won't let me is roofing...) and I'm talking actual repairs ie cars (rebuilding engine/trans parts), plumbing (fixing cracked pipe in the slab), I'd have used home insurance but it was a joke ... Either way too high or wouldn't meet deductible.... I'm not paying thousands for something I can do for $200 (yes all materials and even modifications so I could shut water off if further issues/redoing manifold etc and doing it correctly with a torch etc, a plumber would have charged me at least 2k+ and that's reasonable). I've amassed so many tools I've basically become a do it all kind of guy. Ran/repaired electrical (to code), fixed numerous electronics (lcd monitors/powered subs for home theater for roughly 50.cents each just replacing caps). And these are just recent things... Currently learning how to bypass some stupid **** Mercedes did on their newer transmissions.

My real job is in computers and health care (well soon hopefully after I finish my BS in neuro at UT, took a slightly longer detour, well long but really due to family stuff out of my control, so did everything backwards, own a house and have family etc etc, but my peers at UT can't fix anything, obviously there's a huge difference in age 15-18 years I guess.. ), it's just concerning because some guys can't even change a ****ing tire??? Like WTF.

I got lucky, growing up, I helped my parents manage an apartment building they owned and I learned a ton from my parents about work (at the time I was a bit of an idiot not appreciating it, but now it's invaluable). Like how to do everything property related work for fixing things,. My dad and brother also taught me a ton of car stuff and I grew up with early computers 386 or so was even I finally got in at 10 or so, so I was easily able to integrate computers into car work. A lot of people will say new cars aren't repairable but it's a lie. There are workarounds even on the ****ing BMW/Mercedes bs... I honestly prefer domestic and Japanese cars for repair but can understand if people like flashy cars. I drive older cars and prefer my money go into investing and owning my house etc etc.

Anyway sorry for the long post... Tl;Dr the commercial with the kid who doesn't know what a lug nut wrench is real life. And I've tried to pass on all the knowledge I can but some kids aren't even interested in learning today and just stare at their stupid smartphone watching people play video games...

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We're a pro consumer society and companies get higher margins when they make it hard to replace things. Apple is a big driver in that. Before, PC's and laptops were bulky but you could squeeze an extra year or three with some timely upgrades.

Also people play more games and a lot of them emphasize more on upgrading and throwing away rather than repairing or upkeep (it's simpler and more gratifying in it's newness and indicates "progress")

That's not say the newer generations are doomed. Cultural pendulum shifts often, and with diy instructions and things like 3d printing, it's more of an art to resurrect and encourage through discovery and invention.

The tools are there but the messaging isnt. I bet one could make a lot of money creating a successful craft school for hipsters to hack away

9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Just curious, but have you seen many manufacturers call for indexing ? I do a lot of repairs on various cars as mentioned ... But rarely (if ever) do I recall indexing being mentioned on basic level cars. Don't get me wrong, it's cool to do and you get the most out of the air/fuel mix to plug etc, and I'd definitely do it on a high performance engine or if someone wanted it done etc. Anyway, I'm curious now, how much better it'd be on a basic car since iirc it's not a lot more power ~1-2%, but now you have me thinking if it'd make a difference on fuel eco. since you can pretty much use it on on everything that's using a plug.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Learning to repair things yourself puts money in your pocket, but there are times it's not worth messing with. Like for instance, I just bought a sailboat and the 20 HP diesel I need to use to get in and out of port was leaking. I took it apart and got it down to wear I'm cleaning the old metal gasket out with a razor, but I'm going to have a professional put it all back together. If I don't, this thing may not run very well. I'd hate to ruin the timing of this engine being a novice.

But I've done everything I could so it's definitely going to be cheaper than doing nothing before the technician takes over.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sweet Moses, that's some old man humor.

12. Buck Turgidson

I sharpened the blades on my riding mower this morning.

Carry on.

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

so you're saying you found it funny?

14. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

My '02 F150 does not require indexing, but with newer cars, I just wanted to throw that out there. I had considered indexing the plugs when I was modding my mustangs, but never got around to it. However, My Evinrude 115 Etec does require indexing. I was going to change the plugs in my boat motor, but when I took my boat in for a code reading(Only certified mechanics have the evinrude code readers and software), I just asked him to install and index my plugs for me, which he did as part of the $75.00 code reading service charge. Otherwise I would have just done it myself.

CCity Zero likes this.
  15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

For me, it also depends on how efficient a new unit might be.

For my house, it came with an older washer/drier. I ended up replacing the washer because it wasn't working. Probably could have repaired it, but it was old and wasn't one of the "large load" washers. So i found a sale, and replaced.

Drier is still OK though. I'd like to get the match, just so it looks nice. But, it still drys, so, going to save that for now.

16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah, it can be a pain in the ass to do the indexing.. Especially depending on the motor you're working on.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Right, I haven't worked on diesels.. Maybe eventually I will, currently just gas.

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sorta, in a Trailer Park Boys way. :D

DFWRocket likes this.
  19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I tend to agree with this.

For myself, it's all about the cost vs effort argument, as well as how many times it's been repaired already. I will have an expensive thing repaired once or twice, but at some point I start thinking maybe I've got a lemon, and stop throwing good money after bad. If cost to replace isn't that much higher than repair in the fist place I will nearly always replace because, well, I value my time a bit more than my money (nice way of saying I'm lazy and not handy).

Then again it is my money... I don't live rent-free off someone else. I too would question that mentality in someone living rent/mortgage-free. Particularly when they finance a replacement. I have a borderline religious zealotry for not financing things if I don't have to. My house is the only thing I finance. When I wanted a new car to replace the car I'd had for 9 years, I bought it outright with cash I'd saved up for just such an occasion.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  20. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

When I get to Seabrook, maybe I'll invite you down for an oil change or two. :)

For now, I'm stuck in Cape Coral Florida until my technician who understands the timing created by torque accuracy arrives. He'll be here in the morning apparently!

CCity Zero likes this.