1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Replace Bowen w/ Graham in the 4th?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ToothYanker, Dec 17, 2005.

1. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

Can we put Stephen Graham in for Bowen in the 4th? We'd lose some height but Graham is physically strong and he can't be much worse that Bowen at taking open jumpers.

Bowen's high energy is only a factor when he doesn't play more than 15 odd minutes a night. When he's our set starter, he quickly descends into scrubhood.

What do you guys think?

2. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

JVG loves Bowen too much. Doesnt matter how bad Bowen plays on offense, cause D is more important.

If there was anything good to come out of the clippers game, it is that maybe Bowen's confidence was hurt.

3. brooksstephens

was gonna start a new thread, but I'll just post it here. As much as we all love to see Flyin Ryan run for his dear life after a loose ball, he is absolutely KILLING us on the offensive end!! Not only is he the worst shooter on the team, besides Mutombo maybe, his inability to make shots makes it so that the rockets are playin the clippers 5 on the rockets 4. They don't even have to acknowledge him. he'll either miss the layup or the wide open 12 foot jumper. This allows the to crowd the heck out of Yao Ming AND Tracy Mcgrady, and we end up with either a Bowen miss or a wild 3 point attempt. JVG has to wake up.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I agree, JVG has some obsession with Bowen. I would like JVG to give Graham a chance. He is also a very good defender who is a lot more physical than Bowen. He also could shoot better, faster, more athletic. But JVG loves Bowen for some reason. Also the Chronicle loves him, they wrote like 2 articles on him the past week.

5. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

i think ryan bowen is jvg's long lost son. like honestly..if he wasnt family why would you let him ruin the offense when we were down by 3 or 5 points.

my theory is better offense beats better defense. we defend crazy for 23.5 seconds and then someone hits a jumper. instead of coming back on the other end and matchin it with a open jumper..we let bowen ruin it. and back to defense.

6. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

I love Rybo's energy but he really is killng us.

We like to run this play a lot: Entry pass to Yao, Yao gets double teamed, Yao passes out back to perimeter, perimter player swings ball around to weak side for an open jump shot.

Standard, smart play. I've seen the Lakers run it a million times in their champioinship runs. It is a great way to involve jump shooters.

Except when we run it, we have a weak link: Rybo. When the ball swings around to him, the defense just ignores him and pack it in even harder on Yao.

Whereas the Lakers had Horry and Fisher taking open shots, we've got Rybo.

Please, Ryan, at least learn to shoot well from one spot. AC Green used to have that one spot on top of the key. You can find a spot too.

7. mmesser

mmesser Contributing Member

why dont we hire a shooting coach specifically for bowen, kinda like the
    a-holes, opps i mean spurs did for tony parker. :confused:

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm starting to think Bowen might be dating JVG's daughter or something.

9. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

I know they say that the mid-range jumper is a lost art in today's NBA but dayum. Rybo has had at least 7 feet of clearance between him and the nearest defender on everyone of his jumpers.

JVG should hold special practices where Ryan has to wear a pink dress and shoot jumpers while the rest of the Rockets laugh at him. That'll learn him quick.

10. vwiggin

vwiggin Contributing Member

Rybo is known for his hustle right? I'll bet if JVG orders him to shoot 10,000 jump shots a day, he would do it, dress or no dress. ;)

11. ndnguy85

no no..bowen is his son! ;)

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I think Graham has to prove himself first...but I hope he gets SOME time to do it.

DD

13. fa7999

fa7999 Member

I guess that he is also dating JVG. Otherwise, I cannot believe his obsession with Rybo. In all honesty, Rybo should play no more than 10 min a game, or in any game.

14. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Yes it is difficult to prove yourself if you never play. Why sign someone you are not going to play? :rolleyes: to Gundy

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

yeah gundy has no idea what graham is capable of... :rolleyes:

16. ndnguy85

and remember jvg said i never met this guy before..after his first game. no wonder he doesnt let him play.

17. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure JVG is aware of what's going on out there on the court when Ryan Bowen is playing. he just doesnt' have many options right now. But I would bet the house on Ryan Bowen not starting for the Rockets later on down the road. JVG and staff understand what a negative effect he creates for our offense. He's just a fill in until they make a move and/or are injured players return.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

put in an undrafted rookie just out of college who's played only 2 mins so far in the nba?

19. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

We should have kept Scott Padgett.

20. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Amen to that. I said before the season we should have kept him instead of signing Baxer. We need shooters.

On Bowen: I knew Bowen's effectiveness would decrease. It's just a matter of time. His best role on this team is as an energy guy off the bench, maybe the 8th or 9th guy. Don't worry, even if he starts the next game Rybo's minutes will be cut down. JVG isn't "loyal" to Bowen to the point of losing games just because he likes him. We are hurting bad right now with DA, Rafer and Barry all injured. The lack of depth is going to cost us some games and this was one. When Graham learns enough of our offensive and defensive schemes he could get some time. I don't expect much out of a young player who wasn't good enough to land on an opening day roster.