1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remembering 9/11

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bcast89, Sep 11, 2012.

Tags:
  1. bcast89

bcast89 Member

One of the most tragic events to ever occur in the US.

I remember waking up that day getting ready for school (7th grade) and was watching the news when it happened. Didn't really know what to think at that time but was completely in shock at the images being shown.

I'm sure many of you guys remember that day like it was yesterday. Just want to see what people have to say about it.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

It's always chilling to go back and re-read the thread from that day. I'll let someone with better search skills link it.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This day has always been incredibly depressing to me, for a lot of different reasons. Especially with the last 10 years taken into context now. It always gets me down, now matter how much sunshine it gets wrapped in. Although One World Trade Center is looking pretty good these days.

I wonder if the year will ever come when we're not made to think about it. When that day comes, I'll be happy, because it will mean we've truly bounced back. Not sure it will come in my lifetime, though. And if it does, I wonder what it will be like to be one of only a few who was an adult when it happened.

#4 DonnyMost, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

It's going to be a generational thing, like Pearl Harbor and JFK assassination.

6. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

at the risk of being misunderstood due to my poor language skills, i remember the 2 weeks following 9/11 - i don't think i've ever felt that connected to the society i live in - the emotion is still vivid in my memory...i miss it (horrible to say this).

Going home after work everyday & watching the coverage, the volunteers driving to NYC to help...i cried every night, tears of hurt, pride & awe at the character shown by many of my fellow Americans.

I am so fortunate & proud to say I.AM.AN.AMERICAN.

2 people like this.
  7. yo

yo Contributing Member

I was a sophomore in high school, napping in study hall, when the principal came over the intercom announcing the WTC had been "attacked by two aircrafts." He made it sound like a military attack, which I believed for a while. I just didn't believe a terrorist attack of that magnitude could be orchestrated.

I remember parents pulling kids out of school that day and my history teacher kind of rolling his eyes, telling us "Sugar Land, TX is NOT a strategic target, guys." If there was one LOL that day, that was it.

8. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

9. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

I just can't bring myself to read that thread.

:(

It's true, I remember it like it was yesterday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#9 mc mark, Sep 11, 2012
  10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i am very sentimental in a very unsentimental way. i have never even visited ground zero. don't see the point. i'm not much of a rubbernecker. sick of all the rich white men jerking around with the property. i think they should have just made a nice park on the site. a place for quiet reflection of any kind. some tranquility in a crazy world in a crazy city.

edit: and yes mcmark, i can see it as vividly in my mind's eye as i did while watching the first tower crumble. it seemed to happen in slow motion. all i could think of was people, people, people. everyone around was crying and screaming and overwhelmed. i think it is seared into the brains and souls of all new yorkers in a way other's cannot understand. i regret how we squandered the outpouring of love that came our way in the aftermath.

#10 thegary, Sep 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  11. mc mark

They did Gary

The reflecting pools are beautiful.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

^ massive, in such a different way from the WTC buildings, too.

I was a senior in college and indeed remember it like it was yesterday. Surreal. Even remember the thread like it was yesterday. Some things I guess you just remember. This will be one of those bad things.

As surreal as it was, you still didn't fully understand the intricacies of what those 0-2 hours must have been like for many people until the days, months and even years afterwards. A sucker for curiosity, I've watched too many detailed videos or heard audio that just makes you even sadder.

Today, in addition to just typical sadness, there has been so much time that has passed at this point that you start to think about those kids, etc. left without parents or wifes without husbands or parents without kids. Hopefully some can treat it as the honor it is, but I hope many don't view our continued observation annuals as knife in the wound, so to speak.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Today I am remembering more than just the 3,000 plus who died on that day but the more than 4,000 US troops who died in Iraq, 2,000 who died in Afghanistan and the tens of thousands Iraqis, Afghanis and others around the world who have died in the war on terror. 911 was a tragedy not just for America but for the world as a whole and has made us a civilization more fearful and distrustful. It really did change everything but not for the better.

14. arjun

arjun Member

yup i was in 7th grade when it happened.

towers were hit when i left my home...no class, everyone was watching the news on the tv. then the towers fell...my mom came and picked me up by noon.

terrible day.

i feel so great when i see the new tower being built. god bless.

15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i mean on the whole damn property. no buiildings, just a park.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think I was in 9th grade and didn't really understand how big of a deal it was. One of my first thoughts was, "I hope they don't cancel the Astros game today." I had tickets.

Sad day, especially when you take into account the fact that nothing has been learned from it.

#16 Haymitch, Sep 11, 2012
  17. mc mark

I hear ya brother. But we are talking about one of most prime pieces of real estate in the country. I think they found a nice balance.

18. Daedalus

Daedalus Member

True.

I must confess that my support for both subsequent wars were incredibly strong...Afghanistan was easy to support...Iraq was made easier by my trust in Collin Powell & my anger towards the general state of the Arab world (no self loathing here :rolleyes:)

Fair or unfair, i did not want to hear it...just PO'd! Sometimes when i reflect on it, i question how i would have acted were i a young German living in the 30s... my emotions & attitude following 9/11, unfortunately, make me wonder how likely i would have been to be goose-stepping down the strasse. Freakin' Mediterranean temper!

19. JD88

JD88 Member

Never been a better day to be an American then 9/12.

Nobody cared about racism, no division among the wealthy and poor. Everyone was just American.

Now everybody has forgotten what its like to care for your neighbor.

Sad sad day

20. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I think it will be a very long time until people start forgetting 9/11. I'm 28 I still know when Pearl Harbor was but I have a feeling that most people do not. But one thing that will keep 9/11 alive is the date. It's pretty catchy it's hard to forget 9-1-1.....