1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember when Sundays were dedicated to the NBA?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by chandlerbang21, Mar 2, 2016.

1. chandlerbang21

Maybe its just most of the teams in the league suck or ABC all I want to show the same 6 teams but damn we are going Sundays without any nationally televised NBA games. So many teams are not being promoted.

I'm truly missing the nineties when football season was over and I can look forward to a NBA triple header

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I agree, NBC quadruple headers were a regular occurrence too.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They now have the feature game on saturday night... the country apparently doesn't sit home on sundays and watch basketball like they do football.

4. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

ABC was burned too many times, especially during this time of year with NCAA games that actually count/are actually watchable.

A decade ago they had a Kings/Suns game on up against NCAA first round (if memory serves) and it turned in the lowest ratings imaginable. They much prefer the Saturday night game (with the NBA dominating Twitter as a result) and I don't blame them. Finishes up in time enough to hit the bars afterward.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

<iframe width="640" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fZKX-cf_p90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Awesome

Awesome Member

Yep it was NBC's double and triple headers on the weekends.

Unfortunately the NBA Likes Disney's money so NBC won't even be back again even if they are better at broadcasting sports.

7. chandlerbang21

I think even last season ABC showed 2 games on Sundays. Now we get 1 game for the entire weekend. I wish basketball was as marketable as football

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Even the NBA games on Saturday nights get pretty bad ratings. For some reason America just doesn't like basketball.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yep, coming home from church and watching basketball is one of the biggest memories of my childhood. I specifically remember getting home one Sunday and turning the TV on just in time to see Reggie Miller's historic 8 points in 11 seconds against the Knicks.

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

feels every time

11. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Do you blame them?

Besides Warriors, Cavs, Spurs, Thunder. Nobody really would care to see the trash NBA has produced (Team Wise)

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

NBA on NBC 90s basetball was the best. Everything from the players personalities and the stories of the match up felt so theatrical thanks to NBC production. ABC is so meh..the music...the half time show..all of it..just more ESPN garbage.

13. Amiga

Amiga I get vaunted sacred revelations from social media
    Supporting Member

Best NBA theme ever

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But there's more basketball on during the week than ever before. NBATV has games 2-3 nights/week. TNT has their double-header. ESPN has double headers 2 nights/week... not to mention all the local team's games (if you live in a market that covers a local team).

Back in the 90's, it was the occasional double-header on TNT, TBS had occasional Hawks games, and WGN had occasional Bulls games....and that was it till NBC came with their weekend package starting on christmas.

Of course if you're still one of the last people who has network TV only... I suggest you invest in something more. Given your interest, I'm pretty sure you'll be satisfied with more NBA games.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My son pointed this out to me last weekend.

I'm OK with it.

16. Asian Sensation

You knew **** was about to go down when Bob Costas would give his dramatic synopsis followed by that theme. God I miss 90's ball on NBC.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

For good reason. IMO, a good game of basketball trumps any other sport. Unfortunately the NBA has lost much of its competitive spirit. Stats equal lucrative contracts. If a player wants a ring, his best bet is to take the vet min. and ride the coat tales of whatever team has been stacked for that year.

Unfortunately there are too many players like Carmelo and Harden. Gifted players, but no heart to win. They might bring night to night ticket sales and NBA apparel, however they do not bring in the long term fans who watch year in and year out.

18. eslate22

eslate22 Member

greatest sports theme song ever made

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yCKwfI1VZU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Rryd_lUtZ8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YCKdFrN7rAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xJ5tU2dWdzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

I hate watching ABC or ESPN for basketball.

It's like they rarely pay attention to what's happening on the court. It's just background noise to them. Rest of it just gundy and mark jackson talking about random sh**.