1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember when Peyton Manning coming to the Texans last year was a real possibility...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bmd, Sep 22, 2013.

1. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

point being that his neck strength was never a concern, and he was never prone to breaking his neck because of the surgery. in fact his neck fusion made the repaired disc stronger than it had ever been. it was all about the nerve regeneration.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Here's the simple version for the 2012 Texans salary cap.

Matt Schaub $11.7mil (would've been traded for perhaps a 2nd/3rd round pick that makes 800k if we signed Peyton)
    Arian Foster 9.8mil (would've cost IIRC $1~2mil if the Texans picked up another year of his option)
    Chris Myers $4.5mil

Peyton Manning's salary last year $18mil NONGUARANTEED past year 1. As in, the Texans could've given him a signing bonus last year so the 1st year cap hit would be lower.

We had enough to give Matt Schaub top-10 QB money.

3. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

the nerve regeneration was not in his neck it was in the tricep of his right arm..

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Maybe I'm a dolt, but his doctors said that he had nerve damage in his neck, which was from the bulging disc. Why would you depend on nerves to regenerate in your arm when you don't have nerve damage in your arm?

Besides, I think Kam was being s bit sarcastic about the breaking his neck thing.

5. cardpire

cardpire Member

Don't worry bro, I got your back...no re-reading necessary!

No, those weren't your reasons that you were against going after Manning! These were! It has em loud and clear on page 2 of that crap you didn't want to re-read!!

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=6629018&postcount=38

6. Two Sandwiches

That's fine. I'd still stand by what I said there, too. With Manning, we'd have made it just as far last year as we did, and we would more than likely be losing Cushing this off-season, and Watt possibly thereafter to boot.

7. cardpire

cardpire Member

Noted, as long as we can agree that you are only standing by what you said after getting exposed for lying about what you previously said.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

It never ceases to amaze me how a site where we embrace Daryl Morey and his usage of the cap, embraces Bimathug's cap info to understand how much a team can pay Player A or Player B... And at the same time be so ignorant(and apparently loving the ignorance) when it comes to a sport that imposes a similar salary cap system that is fairly easy to understand.

Yes, Peyton Manning($21.5mil 2015), who will be making roughly $4.5mil million more than Matt Schaub($17mil) the year JJ Watt becomes a FA, is going to destroy their chances to re-sign Watt. Because let's face it, $4.5mil is impossible to free up. The Texans are so r****ded that they look at Chris Myers' 2015 $8mil salary and say, "Man, we have to keep this guy." I guess we just have to let Watt go.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Such self righteousness in this thread

The reason people understand nba salary cap more, is cuz salaries figure directly into trades. Then nba salaries are simpler to list. And there is no salary restructuring, signining bonuses, little guaranteed and non-guaranteed money to figure in. NBA has hard salaries and a flex cap, nfl has flex salaries and a hard cap.

Im sure Denver will have some tough salary decisions ahead themselves, but for the time being are good with the salary bloat

10. Major

Major Member

It's because people use inaccurate info to defend a move (or non-move) in this case. We have no idea what it would have cost to get Peyton because we didn't even try. But as meh noted, even if it would have been a matter of freeing up about $4-$5 million in cap room, I find it hard to believe you'd be able to spend $5 million anywhere else and get the amount of value/improvement you'd get from switching from Schaub to Peyton.

11. Major

Major Member

For example, do you think the Texans are better with Schaub and Kevin Walter, or Manning? How about Schaub and Ed Reed, or Manning?

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

There are basically 2 major differences between the NFL and the NBA when it comes to the salary cap. And it's not even that difficult to reason. If anything, I find the cap holds, bird rights, max salary, draft slots, salary matching, etc. just as complicated if not more so than the NFL. At least the NFL has the accelerated bonus feature that generally dissuade any trades.

1. NFL has a hard cap. If anything, this makes it EASIER to compare salaries. $1 going to Schaub = $1 taken away from someone else. It's not like the NBA where the soft cap and cap holds make salaries juggle.

2. NFL has guaranteed vs. non-guaranteed. This is only important when it comes to cutting/trading players with guaranteed money on the cap. Of course, in any Peyton vs. Schaub comparison, this is immaterial. Because Schaub had no guaranteed money in the summer of 2012. He had a $8mil(?) base salary and could've been moved without causing dead money on the Texans, which would've hindered their ability to get another FA. The Texans, being the nice team they are, added more money to his salary when they gave him that extension. Also, I specifically mentioned Myers and Foster because they were signed in the same offseason they passed on Peyton. If you want, I can bring in players like Daniels or Antonio Smith in terms of cutting players to save up money. But I didn't because it would be messier with accelerated bonuses. For simplicity sake, trading Schaub for a pick and letting Myers go would've had the Texans come close to Broncos offer. But as the Broncos only offered 1 year guarantee, the Texans could've made it up by offering a 2nd year full/partial guarantee. Letting Foster play on his original deal and trading Schaub would've given the Texans enough cap room outright.

Now, you can argue that a happy and rich Foster + Schaub is better than Peyton. You can argue Schaub+Myers+minor cost cutting moves elsewhere is better than Peyton.

But don't tell me that signing Peyton means no JJ Watt. That is simply flat out wrong.

1 person likes this.
  13. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Denver will be in the playoffs, Houston will be in the playoffs. Hindsight being 20/20 I would rather have Manning in that game. (Both because our QB situation would be improved and theirs would be degraded). Manning is no stone cold lock to have a great performance in a playoff game though.

I would "probably" rather have the rest of Peyton's career than the rest of Schaub's career.

So if Cardpire wants glory, laud and honor for making that call...I am o.k. with it. But, I certainly don't think people who were skeptical about Manning coming back to 100% and who didn't think we could afford him were wrong with the information they had. It would have been a huge gamble.

14. Two Sandwiches

Better said than I could have done. This is what essentially brought me into this thread. The thread turned into one person gloating about how he was on the right side of a risky gamble.

As far as me lying about my previous post, or whatever, I don't necessarily think it was lying. I didn't remember exactly what I had said about it during the situation, and I don't think I stated my opinion to the fullest extent. Or maybe that one post I didn't state it in, I don't know, and frankly, don't quite care.

This is a debate that will probably rage on forever, especially if Schaub never wins us a Super Bowl. Who knows what would have happened? I'm fine with the way it went down....

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

It's in your own mind that it would have been a huge gamble. Anybody who can see the big picture realizes that the huge (MASSIVE) gamble is choosing Matt Schaub to quarterback your team over Peyton effing Manning.

16. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

I think Daniels/Smith would've definitely been a goner two years ago in order to sign Peyton. Also, Schaub probably wouldn't have netted much of anything on the trade market due to the lins-franc. Arian got his new contract before Peyton, so Arian wouldn't be going anywhere. The two guys we would have lost were definitely Duane Brown and Brian Cushing. I think you're probably right though that we would have found a way to keep Watt (cutting Meyers seems about right, if Ben Jones is ready to start) because we would have time to prepare since he's not coming due until next year. That's a steep price for Manning either way. We need to see how the next 2-3 years plays out to truly determine whether the right decision was made.

17. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Oh yeah?? I was for drafting Peyton out of HIGHSCHOOL you idiots are stupid for not realizing that he was MEGA H.O.F. super badass how can you people be such IDIOTS?? Schaub this and Schaub that, Peyton Manning... PEYTON MANNING! IM ANGRY AND DRIVE A DODGE STRATUS.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

?? As in, 2014-2016??? Why???

19. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Sorry, I meant "or" not "and" Cush/Brown. Prob Cush. Manning without an LT is not a good idea. Would be interesting to see who they let go between Daniels/Smith though.

20. BE4RD

BE4RD Member

Seems a little early to make a judgement call, no? After Peyton retires, if the Broncos were a more successful franchise than the Texans over that tenure, then it will look like Peyton was the right call. But as of now, there's still a lot of football to play. Did the "don't sign Peyton" crowd start threads gloating and chest thumping when the Texans beat the Broncos brains in @ Mile High last year, or after they ripped off an 11-1 start (where Schaub looked really good)? That would've been silly. So is this. Let's see how things end up first.