1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

remember chievous?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wrath_of_khan, May 13, 2001.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

This is just pathetic ...

Athough I do give him props for going back and finishing his degree.

(another note: a friend of mine said, during Chievous' rookie year, "There is no doubt that he will be a 25 point per game scorer!" [​IMG])

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news/ap/20010512/ap-chievous-theft.html

Ex-Missouri star Derrick Chievous charged with felony stealing

May 12, 2001

COLUMBIA, Mo. (AP) -- Former Missouri basketball star Derrick Chievous has been charged with felony stealing for allegedly taking items from the United Parcel Service terminal where he had worked for nine months.

Columbia police arrested Chievous on Friday after he allegedly fled from UPS managers. He was released Saturday afternoon from the Boone County Jail on $5,000 bond. A court appearance was scheduled for May 23.

Chievous, 33,, who played at Missouri from 1985 to 1988, holds the school record for scoring with 2,580 points. He was named an All-American in 1987 and was the No. 1 draft choice of the Houston Rockets of the NBA in 1988. He also played with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

After playing in Europe, Chievous returned to Missouri, finished his degree and graduated in 2000.

Columbia police Sgt. Steve Monticelli said Chievous had been under investigation in recent months for possible theft from UPS involving shipments carried by the delivery service.

A manager confronted Chievous Friday morning and he fled, Monticelli said. Police later captured Chievous without incident and recovered missing property.

Monticelli did not say what property was reported stolen from UPS shipments. But he said Chievous allegedly ``was looking for a particular type item, and I believe the names on the boxes could possibly tell him what he was looking for.''

------------------

2. verse

verse Contributing Member

he was probably looking for a box of drugs....

seriously.

coke, weed, bandaids, who knows...

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I still remember his words during the post-draft interview(s) : "I can get my shot off against anybody". Unfortunately for him, half the time he'd get the shot rejected right back at him.

I remember the late Anita Martini interviewing him and he said that he needed to take his game up another level. He added that he needed to "Pump up the volume" (from Eric B and Rakim's rap song). Unfortunately Chievous couldn't quite say "volume" right and it came out sounding like "Valium". Upon hearing that he needed to "pump up the valium" Mike Edmonds and Anita Martini I think both nearly fainted as it was said on a sports talk show. They had to ask him for clarification and at that point Mike let out a sigh of relief when he understood that "valium" was instead "volume". Whew.

Anyway... that's my one Chievous nostalgic moment.

Now for some Chievous trivia : Chievous had 2 trademarks to his game. Two things he always did and will always be synonymous with his game. Anybody remember what they were?

------------------
    NBA Draft Lottery is May 20th. Start praying now.

4. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

One of them was wearing a bandaid.

hmmmmmm...don't remember the other one.

Give us a clue

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

5. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

He made a face like the "Scream" mask every time he shot a free throw.

------------------

6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

posted somnething and then decided to delete.

[This message has been edited by Doctor Robert (edited May 13, 2001).]

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bobo and grummett are correct.

------------------
    NBA Draft Lottery is May 20th. Start praying now.