1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Relive the STATEMENT game!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t_mac1, Jun 28, 2011.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JvsYfA99U9c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This video popped up on my YT homepage, so just wanted to share. I'm sure most of the people on here saw every minute of that game.

But what Hakeem did amazes me every time I watch it. He basically put out every move a basketball player can make in that game/series/playoff run.

Also, it goes to show you how poor the C position is in today's game. And how the game doesn't have that mano-a-mano style anymore.

Anyways, it's the offseason. Relive one of the best individual performances in Rockets' history.

1 person likes this.
  2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Basketball was played at such a higher level back then. The late 80's and first half of the 90's was as good as it got. Nowadays you have a few guys with great skills like Dirk Kobe or Manu, but for the most part athleticism is the be-all end-all, and no one really takes pride in becoming a student of the game the way they used to. Particularly in the paint.

3. VBG

VBG Member

I disagree. With the athleticism in today's game, it would be very difficult for players from that era to look as skillfull.

4. plates300

plates300 Member

Dream's footwork and post moves were so precise and fluid. Just beautiful to watch.

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Not the best players of that era but I agree with you otherwise.

6. blackistan

blackistan Member

we need olajuwon

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

hell no. and players back then were still freakishly athletic. you give me an average NBA team back then VS an average team now and i guarantee the 80s/90s teams would win.

8. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

lol whoops, quoted the wrong guy. i meant to direct that at cometswin and VBG.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd probably agree. The bandwagon Mavs fans think that this year's team is the greatest one ever just because they won the title this year. IMO, the best Mavs teams were the ones of the late 80's:

Mark Aguirre, Sam Perkins, James Donaldson, Rolando Blackman, Derek Harper, Roy Tarpley, Detlef Schrempf, and Brad Davis

That team would run this year's Mavs out of the gym.

Same goes for the Dream-led Rockets of the 90's.

Man, I miss the good old days when we had a contending team!

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Never get tired of watching old school Dream, just amazing to watch.

11. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I got goosebumps watching this... I dont remember a lot from back then - i was only 8-9 at the time, but watching these clips brings back some great memories!

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I still remember the last dunk. Now a days people would call that "cheap" and ask to just hold on to the ball.

**** that. Dream hated the Spurs and I loved it.