1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Relationship Question - Splitting The Rent

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cokebabies, Jul 24, 2012.

Tags:
?

Is it normal for the BF to pay 100% of the rent if he and his GF move in together?

1. YES - BF should pay for 100% of the rent

10.6%
  2. NO - GF should help pay for at least some of the rent

89.4%
  1. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Is it normal for the boyfriend to pay for 100% of the rent when he and his girlfriend decide to get a place together? (they each have their own place and decide to move into a new place together)

Assume the couple is living in a place where rent is not a trivial expense (i.e. SF or NYC).

EDIT *Assume the girlfriend is not expected to buy food or pay utilities or cook or clean or anything else to make up for living rent free. The boyfriend is paying 100% of the rent simply because he is the man and the girlfriend pays 0% because she is a woman.*

#1 Cokebabies, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  2. Jamers

Jamers Member

as long as she takes care of the food/laundry, it's okay.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I went through this several times before I settled down. I always had my own place, so I was paying the rent anyway. Usually, the chick had her own place as well, and was already paying rent. If we both left our respective pads and moved together into a new one, which happened at least twice, we split the rent. If she moved into my place, I paid the rent unless she offered. I'd agree and split it 50-50, but more often, I liked paying the rent myself, because then I could ask her to move out if I felt like it. Every situation is a bit different. I've had a significant other for 30 years now, and kids, with one in college, but I have fond memories of those days.

Hope that helped a little bit.

4. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Maybe not an even 50/50, but it's only fair for the girlfriend to pay a little bit of the rent. You're both saving a considerable amount of money over having your own places so everyone wins.

5. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

It's 2am here and this thread is a little relevant to what I'm thinking about right now. I own a house and I guess my fiance will be moving in soon. :( It's a Monday, and I'm almost done with a bottle of wine. I know I won't be able to this with her living with me.... just stay up, watch YouTube and drinking (I do a bottle every other day). :p . And yes, I think the guy should pay the whole rent, in my case, the mortgage. She can use her money to go out to restaurants. I've also appreciate a girl that can take care of herself, maintenance wise... I just don't like paying for it.. hehe, haha?

#5 Kyakko, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  6. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

wtf? seriously? any time i've lived with a gf, we've split the rent 50/50.

even when i owned houses and had a gf move in, she paid me 50% of the mortgage as rent.

in your case she's not paying for food, utilities or expected to cook or clean and you're still letting her live with you rent free????? seriously?!?!? wow.

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Depends on your income, if you make more money then maybe 70-30, but she has to pay for part of the rent.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I assume you're also paying for dinners and stuff as well. It needs to be closer to even. Unless you're making significantly more money (and I mean you're making 90k and she's making 35), she needs to chip in as well.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Don't listen to all these fakes. Be a man and pay 100%

[​IMG]
    /sarcasm

10. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

No. 50-50. unless you make a ton of dough, it should be implied that it is 50-50. am assuming that both of you are doing it to save money or start looking into a life together. if that is the case then you might as well start 50-50 off the bat. it pretty much your money is her money pretty soon anyway so it shouldnt matter.

11. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

If she wants rights like not getting the back of your hand when/if she mouths off, then she needs to help pay. If she's fine with being your property, then count your blessings and pay for the rent.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If the woman pays no rent, it puts a lot of pressure on the sex. Just saying.

When I did it, we collectively paid the rent. It didn't matter if she worked for most of it or I did. We put our salaries in one bank account and paid all our bills from it. It seems funny to me to be willing to live together and have sex together and not mix finances together.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I've lived with three different GFs before. The first one, we split the rent evenly. The second one had her own place but stayed at mine 99% of the time. In this case, because she was excellent at cooking and... other things, I didn't charge her rent. My current GF has a low paying job right now so I pay the entire rent and she writes me a check for whatever she can afford - usually about 40% of the rent.

So, yes, the GF should pay part of the rent.

14. smr6

smr6 Member

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

When my wife and I moved in together before getting married we did a 50/50 split. But we leaned on each other then and still do now...

She's actually making more money than me currently - Bringing in two incomes from her teacher's salary plus a temp job during the summer.

It's been a verrry good summer. :grin:

16. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Be Alpha.
    Pay all of the rent but demand copious amounts of sex in return.

17. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dang...surprised at the responses.

Dont be cheap, pay the entire rent.

You always have the option of living by yourself if you dont like the idea of covering rent for someone else.

18. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

Prior to leasing an apartment you should know where the relationship is going. If you can't afford it by yourself then you will definitely have to split the rent. If you can afford it and you still have to ask yourself whether you should split the rent, then you probably aren't ready to move-in with her.

A real man should always provide.

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

In general 50-50. it is different if only one of them works and the other is taking care of a baby.

Why would someone pay all the rent when both are living there????? Just because he is a man?:confused:

In the Netherlands it is normal that both pay 50% of the rent, unless one has a much better paying job.

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

That's called "going dutch"

LOL

1 person likes this.