1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Refs stopped Rockets win: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, May 27, 2018.

?

Rigged: yes or no?

Poll closed May 30, 2018.
  1. Yes

216 vote(s)
    69.9%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    30.1%
  1. plates300

plates300 Member

There were so many defensive breakdowns in that third and fourth quarter. No communication on the switching that led to multiple wide open threes for Steph and Klay. Can’t blame the refs for that.

tinman likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

My diagnosis as well and my main concern now. How could they not be exhausted? Crowd will have to bring everything to the main 6 guys.

3. smp

smp Member

This is exactly what I think happened. They called the 1st half somewhat fairly. A few typical home cooking calls. But once they realized that we might actually win it, the refs put a stop to it by eliminating our drives to the basket. If you can hit and push a guy while hes driving then there's nothing that can be done about it. Harden should have shot 20 something free throws while GS players fouled out one by one or change their defense. You dont think that can make a huge point differential?

Home cooking is one thing. This was something else. You think they stopped rigging pivotal games after Tim Donoghy exposed them? I don't.

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

I feel like the refs completely killed any sort of momentum for us which caused the team to get demoralized and decrease their intensity on D

when 1 team is allowed to body u on every possession making it that much harder for u to score and u can’t play that level of physical D on the other end it affects u...Harden went from 9 free throws in the 1st half to 0 in the 2nd, and it’s not like he stopped driving after halftime

I’m looking at the contact Harden and even Ego were receiving on their drives and comparing it to the contact KD would receive which would result in a call for him and the fix was just too apparent...Harden only got 3 freethrows off of drives last night which is just ridiculous with the amount of contact he was taking

all of the sudden the likes of Swaggy P can stay in front of Harden off the dribble because he was allowed to body him on the perimeter

a lot of the turnovers were mindless, but I thought the level of physicality GS was allowed to get away with caused us to start pressing on offense leading to some of those mistakes in the 2nd half

Deuce and napalm06 like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Absolutely rigged. NBA wants these game 7s... Only Rockets fans will care about the officiating and then we just look bitter. Game, set, match, NBA.

The question is whether they'll call a game 7 consistent both ways.

htownrox1 likes this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

But they certainly kept us from keeping up. Our offense stopped and then gave up due to the amount of blatant defensive fouls being allowed. Once they even started calling some phantom offensive fouls on us, it was time to bring in the human white flag.. Joe Johnson.

Refs didn't make us lose, but they turned a 10 point game into 30.

The moment Curry got a foul for being hit by Hardens trailing arm that didn't affect the play was a turning point. You could feel a switch flipped on the way the game script was being written.

touring_low and htownrox1 like this.
  7. koby1868

koby1868 Member

For everyone saying we lost by 30 so it couldn’t have made that big of a difference is absolutely wrong. For every non call when were on offense that lead to a basket on the other end translates to a 4-5 point swing on every one of those possessions. It wasn’t pathetic how obvious it was that the slightest touch was a foul on Houston but harden getting hammered at the rim multiple times were no calls.... NBA does it again. They want Cleveland vs. Golden State again.

htownrox1 likes this.
  8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I think both. Refs were their 6th man on the court, but Rockets didn't adapt their style to play to their 17 point lead.

Having said that if it wasn't for refs we could have had potential 25+ point lead which could have did some psychological damage.

#48 Swapshop, May 27, 2018
    Last edited: May 27, 2018
  9. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

We're going to get SF48 and TB25 for G7.

10. smp

smp Member

My last point and then I will leave it alone. I didn't blame the refs for either of the other 2 blowout losses we had. I didn't blame rigging for our blowout loss last year vs Spurs.

I will accept a loss when deserved. I will even concede that GS probably would have come back and won this on their own without tampering. I obviously have no way of proving anything, but I feel certain that this elimination game was special and the refs tampered to ensure an outcome.

They don't do it often. They are very selective. They pulled the trigger on it last night.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No, we beat ourselves with sloppy, panicked play -- yeah the refs missed some calls, but it didn't cost us the game.

DaDakota and ghettocheeze like this.
  12. Mr. Space City

the warriors are the biggest front running team in the nba.

when they get a lead that's when they get confidence and blow most teams out.

when the games are tight, buttholes get clenched and we've seen over and over they are vulnerable to crack under pressure.

the problem with last night is the refs gave them so much help to get up and once they got up the front running started.

Boney Garcia and Richie_Rich like this.
  13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Ref plays a part but ultimately no. It’s the player with 50 turnover and losing their defensive intensity. I hope the players believe that. You have no control over the ref but do over yourself. Got to have the mental toughness and discipline to play through bad calls.

14. _RTM_

_RTM_ Member

Actually No.

Warriors were listed as favorites by bookies when we were leading by 17 and when we were leading by 10 at the break, so Warriors win was expected, because of Oakland

But they have clearly left us without clutch finish and buried the squad's groove when it was clearly unnecessary.

Warriors would have won this one, but it would be one or two-possesion game and not something like this

Those assholes clearly stopped pushing the pedal with whistles only when Warriors finally got a comfortable lead.

Such a disgrase. Illegal screens. Zaza, now this crap.

Damn. Warriors are shithole

Red Chocolate likes this.
  15. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

We were called 4 offensive fouls, all of which were either marginal contacts that should be no call, or defensive foul(Young slid under a cutting Gordon), and Capela's travel was indeed not a travel. Besides, Harden/Gordon/Ariza drove to the basket and got hammered with no call, some of them were counted as turnovers too. So ref indeed made the Rockets commit about 10 turnovers.

We made some unforced errors, Warriors did that too.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

kerr fired up the moving screens offense for klay/stephenie to start the 3rd Q and mauer malloy looked the other way

17. Pandaemonaeon

Pandaemonaeon Member

We were up by 10 at the half despite the refs' efforts. Klay and Steph going off evaporated our lead and ballooned theirs, and that's on us.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I think the referees affected the game but I don't think that excuses the Rockets poor play. I say this as a ref for my sport to the players I coach. Don't count on the referees to save you. In the third the Rockets should've realized that the refs weren't going to bail them out on wild drives to the baskets and adjusted. Rockets defense then should've hammered GSW players on drves and if Rockets started fouling out that would send a message to both GSW and the referees that if you're going to let one team hammer away we're going to do it to and make it obvious to everyone what is happening.

19. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

It's not as easy as a yes or no question. End of the day how many of those TO's were caused off offensive fouls or no call fouls where our guys got hit and the ball came loose? If you go back and look at a lot of those Klay 3's there were moving screens on almost all of them. The refs didn't make us lose by 29 but they absolutely changed the momentum and how the game was going to be called. T

hey also let the GSW play a lot more physical while calling ticky tack fouls on us. Then when the Warriors have whittled down the lead and they got the momentum the refs can easily call fouls for the Rockets to even out the box score and it looks just fine.

Bottom line is that they didn't expect us to be up that and they have to blatantly had to adjust somehow or we would have blown them out.

Our team got demoralized becuase they didn't let them do anything and then we got gassed and it was downhill from there.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  20. AKdaDawg

AKdaDawg Member

i don't even know what to make of this question anymore. all fans of their respected teams will continue to make up and believe any reason for their teams loss. However, as a diehard Rockets and Houston sports fan i do believe it is rigged lol