1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Refs stopped Rockets win: yes or no?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, May 27, 2018.

?

Rigged: yes or no?

Poll closed May 30, 2018.
  1. Yes

216 vote(s)
    69.9%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    30.1%
  1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

NBA and Silver cearly wanted a game 7 here and they ensured that they did it

2. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

Did they help? No, but we lost by 29 and they were lights out in the 2nd half. If we’d lost by 8-10, I would say it definitely contributed. I think wearing down and being tired, along with a ton of turnovers is why we lost game 6

3. MystikArkitect

When part of your game is taken away due to the whistle, you tend to make more mistakes.

htownrox1 and hou$tonScrew$tonTX like this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There is nothing surprising or out of the ordinary about how it was called yesterday. The Rockets were trying to force things going to the basket, because they couldn’t generate clean shots otherwise. The refs let a lot of that contact go. It’s not unusual. Yes, if they charitably gave us those whistles maybe we could have been more competitive in the second half. You can’t rely on that as a road team trying to close it out.

The main reason we lost is Curry and Thompson unleashed a barrage of 3 pointers against us due to defensive lapses and them just being ridiculously talented. We simply couldn’t stop their team from scoring, and it led to us having to score aga8nst their set defense. That’s really hard.

You just hope that a change of venue will take some wind out of their sails and give us more energy to sustain excellent play throughout the game.

jboslett likes this.
  5. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Paul knew what was up from the get go.

Daddy Long Legs and DreamShook like this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Stop blaming the refs for every loss. The rockets had a 47 point turnaround. Even if the refs gave harden 25Fts I don't think it would have made a difference. Also if the only way Harden can score is getting a foul call maybe harden has to get better at making shots.

7. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The main defense against fixing is 1) we had too many turnovers 2) we were tired at the end of the game and 3) GS hit a lot of shots.

Guess what causes all 3 of those things to happen?

1) not getting fouls called on drives
    2) having to run back because you aren’t getting calls on drives
    3) not calling the constant moving screens that allowed them to get open.

The idea that the rockets scored 9 points in the 4th because they were “tired” is an extremely boneheaded premise that I would expect from a child, not from a person that consistently watches NBA basketball.

But hey, the reason this is allowed to happen is because certain fans are too stupid to recognize a blatant rigging. If all fans had enough awareness to recognize when fouls should be called, the league would either 1) lose ratings or 2) start holding refs accountable, publically.

8. Mr Chuck Norris

9. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

Some of you i just have no idea if you are watching the game the same way as we did.

Momentum is a huge thing in BB, specially to the rockets. There couple of questionable calls in late 2nd quarter or should i say non calls.

Then in 3rd quarter it just all no calls. EG lost momentum Harden lost momentum...

Sure we prolly end up losing the game with the way Harden and EG played but the scores should be a lot closer and the gsme should be tigher.

vince, htownrox1, Richie_Rich and 5 others like this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Refs sucked.

Not sure how that made Eric Gordon miss 3 free throws or go from being all-star type performance to shouldn't be in the NBA type performance.

Of course... that said, a strong ref'ing impact like that IS probably one of the things that will impact role players in strange ways.

Certainly you could see how it would impact a guy like Tucker, for example.

11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Unfortunately this is how I’ve felt about the NBA for a long time. Ever since 2002 Kings-Lakers WCF, the trust has been gone. I willfully ignored it to an extent until Donaghy-gate, and after that I mostly gave up. The WWE comparison is apt and is the one I usually make. I don’t believe every game is fixed, but the fix will be in when it matters.

I still love the Rockets and want them to win, but what does it really mean anymore...

12. CapelaOnlyFan

CapelaOnlyFan Member

Refs f****d us (WE KNOW THIS GOING IN) but we stopped ourselves by walking the ball up every possession and wasting the whole shot clock making it easy for them to play D

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

The refs were atrocious last night, worst I have seen all playoffs

Mike D'Antoni was also atrocious

tinman and vince like this.
  14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Bottom line, there are gentleman sports like golf, tennis, even darts lol - basketball is not one of them. Along with football and soccer. A lot of the rules are subjective - which can very easily be influenced by anyone. I.e. gambling. Noone is gonna go back to the league and hold anyone to account. Can't go to federal court - there is not ruling body unless it's drugs or violence... they already "fixed" that problem so just keep complaining and pretend this doesn't happen from time to time or stop watching.

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Why would you risk energy and injury when you know you you're playing up hill? We may have a chance of winning at Houston depending on what the outcome the NBA wants. The Toyota Center is always gonna be sold out.

16. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

James' handles have been spotty and appear to be out of control on several plays each game. He is also tucking the ball into his chest when elevating, then falling to the floor. Not going to get those calls when the entire league has been whining about the volume of calls he gets in the regular season.

Not defending the refs, but they didn't lose the game. It's not 5 on 8, it's actually 3 on 2.5. they have 3 legit scoring options at ALL times. Last night, we had James, EGO and a few flashes from others in the first half.

We had defensive lapses in the third quarter and then shrank on the offensive end. If the game plan is to rely on getting to the line to win game 7 we are screwed.

No doubt James struggles with the pressure. You can't wait until you "see what you like" when the intensity is ratched up. Go to the hole early and kick out. Trust the others to knock down shots.

Gordon didn't get the ball nearly enough in the third quarter.

17. JW86

JW86 Member

I really do not get the argument that the amount of points you lose by dictates your point of view on reffing. That's like waiting on a basket to go in or not, whether you call a foul or not. A foul is a foul and non-call is a non-call. If you don't get how momentum works, but even more so how mentally it drains you and demoralises you as a player when you drive and get hit every single time no call, but on the other end you barely touch someone and it gets called. You don't think that messes with your head? You don't think after all those drives, at some point you stop driving all together. And don't you think the Warriors players are smart enough to recognise how the game is called, thus starting to play more physical and see how much they get away with. As the game progresses and nothing is called, you have a carte blanche to foul every time since there are no consequences.

It's common sense that it gave the Warriors all the advantage and momentum and just killed anything the Rockets tried. Sure they could've kept it close by playing better, since I do recognise our problems last night like the turnovers, careless passes, fumbling of the ball, slipping, forced shots, slow play in the 2nd half, tired legs because MDA is a stubborn old fool, not taking advantage of Gordon, PJ and Green being hot, not playing more guys, losing guys in transition and just give them open looks, not playing with the same intensity on defense. That being said, a lot of these things are directly or indirectly influenced by or a result of how the game is officiated. If contact is allowed, it leads to less drives, more holding so less open opportunities, slower offense, less drive and kicks for open threes and it's more tiring. Then on defense you have to exert more energy to keep yourself from touching the opponent and all the missed shots leads to fast break opportunities etc. If you do not get how that works, then you just in denial of what happened last night.

Tfor3 and Richie_Rich like this.
  18. alcatrazpsycho

Yes the NBA is (and always has been) rigged.

But the refs aren’t responsible for turnovers, missed free throws, and leaving Klay Thompson wide open.

Rockets collapsed and helped the refs get away with murder.

19. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Yes it does rockets got pissed and angry thus making them turn it over (bad decisions), they didnt get any calls, drives, being hacked etc. While the worriers got away with everything.

It killed every momentum we had.

Yes free flow bullshit it was one sided.

20. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Interesting, if you foul me and I turn it over, but there is no call.... is that the refs?

If you set an illegal screen and someone gets open but the refs don’t call it, is that the refs?

If my shot isn’t falling and I decide to go to the hoop but get mugged every time and get demoralized on defense as it creates transition opportunities, is that the refs?