1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ref. Joe Crawford speaks about ejecting Steve Francis

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by droxford, Nov 29, 2005.

1. droxford

droxford Member

And interstsing read...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3489787.html

Joe Crawford is a classic Philly guy. Which means he doesn't suffer fools.

So you can imagine how he suffered on that February night a few years back in Salt Lake City when he tossed then-Rocket Steve Francis out of a game against the Utah Jazz in the second quarter.

"I thought I saw him hit (John) Stockton in the face with an elbow and, bang, I hit him with a technical," said the veteran NBA official. "The problem was that Stevie had already gotten one earlier, and that meant he was gone.

"I felt bad. The kid was so on that night. He was making every shot. It looked like he was going to break Wilt's 100-point record for a game. Then after the game I looked at the tape, and I felt even worse. I was sick to my stomach. He never touched him. It was the worst ejection of my life."

"The next time I got the Rockets after that game in Utah, I walked right up to Stevie Francis and said, 'That was the worst ejection of my life.'

"He just smiled at me and said, 'Thanks, Joe. I needed to hear that.' "

2. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I was at that game. It sucked. Stevie could not miss. Stockton did the only thing he could to defend him; he flopped.

3. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Nice. Thanks for the read.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Good post man. It was a nice read, definetly shows that the refs aren't all the work of the devil.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Good read. Joey has been one of my favorite refs in the league, even when he makes calls against us, he is one of the best in the league.

Crawford, Bavetta, Dan Crawford are the best in the league, everyone else makes my blood boil.

6. droxford

droxford Member

Well... let's not jump to conclusions.

7. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I think Knick Bavetta, or Dick 'the Dick' Bavetta as my friends and I refer to him, winner of the '99 Eastern Conference Finals MVP, would have to be removed from my list.

8. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Hakeem once said Joe Crawford was his favorite.

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

anyone remember Earl Strom?

he was the best of all time IMO

10. droxford

droxford Member

I kinda have mixed feelings about the article.

On one hand, I feel that Joe handled his mistake with as much class as possible. The refs aren't perfect, and it must be tough for them to deal with mistakes.

On the other hand, I think, "Thanks, Joe. You completely prevented a probably legendary performance. Who'd have thought that Stockton would flop? Maybe you should just call a foul first and then talk to the other refs to see whether or not SF really threw the elbow, and if they say 'yes', THEN you eject him."

11. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Didn't steve get ejected in that game for throwing the ball off of Stockton when he was falling out of bounds? It was after the whistle I believe. I think he got his first tech in that game for slapping the backboard or something like that.

Or maybe he threw it off Stockton to get the first T. Did he get ejected against Utah multiple times?

#11 KeepKenny, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  12. JamesC

JamesC Member

Wasnt that the game where he had like 27 points in the first quarter?

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I remember I had an argument with another poster about that game. I'm glad dude admitted he probably should've thought twice. Steve was on that night, it probably would have ended up being one of the best games of his career.

14. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

No, Steve was bringing the ball up and picked up his dribble and did some sort of move were he swung his elbows around like he was clearing out after a rebound, and Stockton who was three feet away fell down. The first was for celebrating after a dunk I believe.

And yes,that was the game were he was on fire and scored 20+ in the first quater. It was an abosulatly terrible call, I hope Crawford at least got suspended a few games for that.

15. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Ah, i just looked it up. January 10, 2002. The first T was for throwing the ball off Stockton, the 2nd one was as you described.

16. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Dick and Joe are far and away the best the NBA has

17. droxford

droxford Member

Here's the recap for that game:
    http://www.nba.com/games/20020110/HOUUTA/recap.html

"After scoring 27 points in the first half, Francis was ejected just 2:12 into the third quarter for throwing an elbow at Stockton."

"He had 27 points at halftime and looked like he was going for 60," Utah coach Jerry Sloan added.

18. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

didn't Francis "meet" Crawford in the parking lot after that game?

19. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Just one more reason why Joe Crawford is my favorite ref...

20. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

not to derail i hate bavetta