1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Redick gets one year probation

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by stonegate_archer, Sep 11, 2006.

1. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

I am glad we didn't draft him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...YF?slug=ap-magic-redick-dwi&prov=ap&type=lgns

Redick pleads guilty to DWI, gets 1-year unsupervised probation

September 11, 2006

DURHAM, N.C. (AP) -- J.J. Redick pleaded guilty Monday to drunken driving charges and received a one-year sentence of unsupervised probation.

The former Duke basketball star also received a 60-day suspended license in North Carolina, $410 in fees and court costs and must perform 24 hours of community service, according to Candy Clark, administrative assistant to District Attorney Mike Nifong.

ADVERTISEMENT

District Court Judge Richard Chaney agreed to allow Redick, a first-round draft pick of the Orlando Magic, to serve his community service in Florida. Redick was last season's Associated Press player of the year.

He appeared in Durham County traffic court with his lawyer Donald Beskind, who could not be reached for comment after the hearing.

Redick was arrested after 1 a.m. on June 13 when he made an illegal U-turn after approaching a license check point near the Duke campus, police said. He pulled into a parking lot of an apartment complex after police pursued him.

The arresting officer wrote in his report that Redick had "very glassy eyes, strong odor of alcohol coming from breath." He had a blood-alcohol level of 0.11 percent. The legal limit for drivers in North Carolina is 0.08.

The 22-year-old Redick was released on $1,000 bond after appearing before a Durham County magistrate. Redick was scheduled for an Oct. 24 court date.

He has 90 days to complete his community service

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Does carrying veterans' bags and brining donuts to practice count as community service?

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Ah who cares.

If I was about to be drafted in the NBA, I'd sure as hell toss back a couple to celebrate too. Getting caught ain't too bright but a single incident doesn't really raise many red flags for me.

If it happens again, then I'll say I'm glad we didn't draft him.

We need shooters and Redick would have done well here. But I'd rather have Batteir than Redick. Battier is much more versitile.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This isn't a new arrest or anything...it's the old one, right?

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, dude needs to change the thread title.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

As long as he doesn't play while drunk, I don't think it's going to affect the team that drafted him. I was happy to pass on Redick, but not because of his DWI.

7. Omer

Omer Member

Oh, yeah. This thread is just about the same thing that he did way back. Just had the trial or something now I guess.

If he did it again that would be something.

8. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

i'm glad that we passed on him, funny how he had back problems during the summer league..also its funny to see NBA players commiting silly mistakes like this one. explain to me why people who make so much care so little about the consequences of their actions agian?

9. kingkow

kingkow Member

the problem is that he still hasn't signed a proper contract with the magic. I'm afraid he is going to be poor man's Shawn "Hemp man" Kemp

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

He made a mistake, so yeah, I'd still like a shooter on my team...We'll see how he pans out...

11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Because the dude is young and obviously has a little more growing up to do ...as do just about all 20-somethings (or just about everybody for that matter ...none of us are perfect).

We recently have had TWO DWI threads in the Hangout. Redick is just another human being who made a mistake. Humans tend to do that ...particularly when they are young.

Question is: Will he learn from his mistake or will he repeat mistakes.