1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Red Dead Redemption sequel

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FranchiseBlade, Aug 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

According to the CEO of Rockstar people were working 100 hour weeks at times... I'm not cool with that. I'll definitely be getting the game, but you'd think the work culture would be evolving...

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that is incredibly uncool. I get the "devoted artist" angle, but there's no way that is good management.

Yung-T and seclusion like this.
  3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I was hoping they'd learn their lesson after the bad publicity surrounding the first game, apparently not-so-much.

4. mtbrays

Supporting Member

A potent combination of "8 Years Between Games" and "$6 Billion in GTA V Revenue" will do wonders for public perception.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Indeed. "As long as people are buying the games, who gives a **** about the developers really." - Houser Brothers...probably.

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Normal people don’t work 100 hour weeks?

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variet...s/rockstar-100-hour-work-week-1202980474/amp/

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That is called damage control. Also, notice how he subtly implies that "working hard" is working 100+ hours.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I worked a 25 hour work week once. Never again.

DoitDickau likes this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm sure a lot of those guys are addicted to their job and always end up putting in crazy hours on big projects because they want to make it perfect before the release.

Blatz and RudyTBag like this.
  11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Or...... Them dudes were slacking to begin the project and now busting ass to get **** right.

Blatz likes this.
  12. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I've done that many times before. Crazy hours at work and home in the last month of a project to get it perfect and finalized.I remember bosses telling me to go home, take a break, as long as you are looking you will always find something that needs to be done and you are not going to be of any help if you are burnt out and dead.

That's also true but it wasn't slacking,. I have always had trouble getting started because there was usually multiple starting points and I would get overwhelmed deciding which one to take.Our slacking usually happened later when we all started getting a little delirious and needed that extra wind

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

^ This man knows what he is talking about.

The game developer hustle is absolutely brutal. You're never finished. You simply run out of time.

If you want a super senior position (and the six/seven figure salaries that come with it) you have to put in those 80+ hour weeks. Especially during crunch time. You're banking a lot on the game (both financially and from a professional reputation standpoint) and the deadline is looming. If you clock out at 40 hours through the entire project and it bombs, you may never live it down.

The guys who put in hours like this are not your typical code grunts. They are executives who live and breathe this stuff by choice.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There are also redesigns and last minute changes that add hours before deadline. Sometimes demos get panned and a wave of panic sets in. Game development is still waterfall in the scheme of things.

I'm pretty sure there are underpaid grunts working 60+ hours fueled by cheap carry out and mountain dew because their leaders are working much much more.

That's pure love and dedication right there, pulled along with raw exploitation.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Work....lol

16. mtbrays

Supporting Member

The pre-download has started. If you're doing it on PS4, you need 150GB of space, 50 of which will be cleared up once the game installs.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

So, I live in the boonies and have no internet. Just a hotspot from my phone with unlimited data. I would like this game, even if I don't have the online aspect available to me.

What are my best options for that download?

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

[​IMG]

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

Go to a Starbucks

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I'm hoping this gets a pc release... I have consoles, but 150gb download is really big and consoles download a lot slower (haha not like it matters on time here, it's just cool to see the internet speed you're paying for max.. ). I will get it on console if I don't have a choice though, once I finish the first one.... Who am I kidding, I'll probably never finish a game again. So I'll probably buy this and in another 10 years still wonder if I'll get back to the first one.. By then.. a quick YouTube/wiki history might be better.

Anyway, the game looks awesome