1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recruitment Underway?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ryris, Jun 24, 2017.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Im sorry but NO

Curry > Harden
    Durant >> George
    Green >> Griffin

Plus they have Klay, some other good vets and chemistry already built

roslolian and DMO (DJ remix) like this.
  2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Blake's jumpshot isnt bad at all, although not a 3pt fg shooter but a star player who can score. To add an elite player they may have to bend on this all 3 & no mid range philosophy. If Blake is effecient and having an impact who cares? Blake can also play some 5 for you too.

3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I've said all along Griffin should be our main play...

He is a tremendous gamble from a maturity standpoint and injury concerns - but has the best possible upside... imagine PnR and lobs with James - could get downright nasty!

Age is fine... a 4 year deal is 28-31...as opposed to Milsap or CP3 would be 32-35

Main position of need - as it allows us to ditch Ryno's 20M/yr contract w/o playing some bastardized small ball lineup with Ariza at pf as our starting/main configuration....

max contract starts around 25M.... only 5M more than we are paying Ryno - so won;t need to gut the team to fit him... and 5M/yr below CP3 or Milsap max....

Easily the best play imo....

Harden needs to reach out to see if there's any interest... if there is... DM should be on his doorstep at 12:01....

4. mightybosstone

I'll heartily agree to disagree. He's an excellent pick and roll player and one of the best passing big men in the league. Just because he's not an elite 3-point shooting threat at the 4 doesn't mean he has no role in this offense. You know who the primary PF was for D'Antoni's Suns? Boris Diaw, who never took more than 45 3-pointers in a season his three and a half years in Phoenix. And with the lack of true centers in today's NBA, Griffin could easily get a good chunk of his minutes at the 5, where he would absolutely be a threat.

Yaosthirdleg and Ryris like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Guys I if Griffin were to come to the Rockets I think he'd play most of his minutes at center.

PF: Griffin(10) /
    C: Griffin(23) / Capela(25)

Something like that. I'd also fully expect for him to work on his 3's a lot more and to stay out on the perimeter when he's in the game with Capela. Griffin has been working on his 3PT shot, last year was his best season, he's improving it.

Yaosthirdleg and Ryris like this.
  6. kjayp

I think he'd play a good amount of time at C with a smallball lineup... but I'd hope CC can log 30 mins a night and continue to develop....plus I'd still like an economical bu center for 5-10 mins... somebody like Speights or Nene....

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

If Capela is playing 30, and a 3rd C is playing 5-10 minutes, that only leaves 8-13 minutes for Griffin at center. I think center would be Griffins main position where he plays 60-70% of his minutes. If Griffin worked hard on his 3 we could probably survive him playing about 10 minutes next to a center like Capela... anything more then 10 seems like too much IMO.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't get why a lot of people love the idea of Griffin as a 5 in a small ball lineup, on defense he's basically as bad as Ryan, tbh i think Ryan also flops better than him lol

Overall sure, he's a great talent, not that i'm against having him here, but injuries + being some sort of mental midget...eh, i'd still like other guys over him for this team.

#28 Vivi, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  9. kjayp

I would hope it would all fluctuate depending on who we're playing... for example if we're playing the Pelicans with AD and Boogie...or San Antonio... I would plan for him to see little to no time at center as i would want him playing with CC.. against smaller faster teams would see considerably more time at the 5...

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Morey might be able to pull off getting Kyle Lowry and Blake Griffin in FA...Griffin isn't going to a different team to play with CP3 again

all PG13 hopes are hanging on by the thinnest of threads

Lowry
    Harden
    Ariza
    Blake
    Capela

that's pretty good tbh...still not beating the Warriors, but could compete against them and possibly beat them in a series if Curry or Durant gets injured

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

with a lineup of

Lowry
    Harden
    Ariza
    Blake
    Capela

we now have a legit 2nd option next to Harden in Blake Griffin...Blake can get his and can create for others...he's 1 of the best passing PF's in the game

Lowry is another playmaker and facilitator next to Harden...this will reduce Harden's offensive burden and reduce the inanse amount of turnovers and immense pressure that he has to create everything for himself and others

Lowry compliments Harden because he's a very good 3 point shooter and defender

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I don't feel good about that team at all. Lowry and Griffin are usual playoff underperformers. Harden tends to fold at the most inopportune times as well. Just not really feeling that team at all. I'll take one of Griffin/Lowry but I don't want both.

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Very undecided on it, but I lean towards it being a very good move. Just thinking of Amare in MDA's offense makes me think Griffin would certainly be more suited to our offense, plus Griffin can pass the ball. Won't put us over the top, but will put us MUCH closer to the top. Who knows what happens afterwards in terms of what we can add. Look how many players became available, and I suspect there will be at least 2-3 teams with star players who will realize near the deadline that they should've tanked this season.

If Griffin's max is in fact $25m, then it might be worth it even if he misses 10-20 games.

And if we convince Griffin to come, then Morey would certainly be willing to give Indiana more assets for George.

14. Possum

Possum Member

I'm sorry but who do the Warriors have that can stop Griffen in the paint?

Ryris and kjayp like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

You may have heard of him (or maybe not?)

[​IMG]

16. brosef

brosef Member

Curry > Harden .... lol:rolleyes:

17. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Question that begs an answer for: "if CP3 is one of the greatest distributors the NBA has ever seen and Griffin and
    DJordan are sooooo tremendous in PnR or PnPop.............why didn't they win more?" Houston won more games
    than LA Clippers last year.

I'm with you Bobbythegreat on Blake. He doesn't move the needle for me. Houston dodged a bullet on guys
    Morey has gone full force on: Melo, Bosh, LMA.

D Jordan might demand bigger money than Houston wants to pay for a center & for the role they will play w/Roxx

CP3 works for me. Replace clutchfan members needs for 4 or 5 quote unquote "play makers" for two top notch
    play makers in the form of Harden/CP3. Harden won't need the ball as often this year as he chases a title
    more than MVP this season. Just like Durant and LeBron have done in recent years. And Curry, sacrifice
    for the team title needs.

18. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I've heard the Rockets tied to every name out there recently. The name I haven't been hearing is Ibaka.
    Ibaka was schooling Draymond in the 15/16 playoffs.
    Makes me think Ibaka may be the real target. But it does look like Philly has given up on pursuing Lowry
    by drafting Fultz. May allow Toronto an ability to keep Lowry and Ibaka together.

#38 Jatman20, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Whenever GSW plays the Clippers, Griffin is rendered pretty useless.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

James was hanging out with Ibaka (supposedly) but I'm not one who reads into who is following who on FaceSpace & MyBook & twittergram & instasnap & whatever other social media.