1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recruitment Underway?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ryris, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Ryris

Ryris Member

A source that does business with Hakeem said he plans to fly to California in 4 days. The intentions of the trip were not specified, but seems like a possible recruitment trip right when free agency begins.

Seems like Hakeem would have a greater influence on griffin, but the greatest center of all time can have a resounding influence on any position, so possibly for Paul too.

The more I think about griffin in our offense the more I like it with his passing ability and finishing he would be a dangerous roll man combined with all the threats that harden brings to the table. Plus he can play some 5 in small ball.

We do lose some spacing that Anderson provided, but he can hit an open jumper so the defense can't leave him, and if he is the pnr man he the spacing he would provide doesn't matter anyway.

IMO I think griffin should be number 1 target. To be fair I am partial due to being a sooner, but it wouldn't definitely be fun to watch too.

I know this doesn't make us better than the warriors, but I like griffins potential in he offense.

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

If Griffin can stay healthy he's a very nice fit with Harden and MDA.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I'd say it's likely given we had him in a room with Kent Fvcking Bazemore LOL

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Our recruiting team is always Hakeem, Maury, Harden and Uncle Le$. If we are pursuing a big man, throw in Yao.

I love how the Dream is 200% Rockets. Rockets deserve another title just for the Dream who puts in plenty work behind the scenes.

Sajan, gatsby, bloodwings19 and 21 others like this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

There are very few scenarios where the Rockets are a favorite against the warriors. Basically only one - get Lebron plus.

So from a fun perspective, adding Griffin makes the most sense for sure.

Hakeemtheking and kjayp like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure adding Griffin moves the needle. He can't shoot so all you'd be doing is further clogging the lane by putting him out there with Capela. Honestly if they are headed to California to recruit someone, CP3 makes a LOT more sense, especially if they are considering flipping guys like Gordon.

malakas, Jatman20 and Ryris like this.
  7. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

This.

Hakeem is a true Rocket. I have nothing but respect for the man.

gatsby, dragonwill, dje243 and 5 others like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

9. Ryris

Ryris Member

If he's running the pnr he won't be clogging the lane I know what ure saying, but he has a respectable enough jumper to where the defense can't abandon him, and hopefully he could play a lot of 5. I would hope he wouldn't clog the lane for those reasons, but I know it's a possibility and spacing was the only thing Anderson brought with him in the playoffs.

10. Coach E

Coach E Member

I like Blake in the small ball line up, also when harden is resting.

But the starting line up would be kind of an adjustment from what we saw this year. But harden and blake are great and MDA is an offensive wiz, so I would say it would be fine.

One thing that might me a negative is Blake comes and Starts shooting way too many 3s. Hopefully this isn't the case and it should be a great pick up.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Im pretty damn sure that if Griffin came here, Dantoni would use him exclusively at center. Every team he coaches, he always wants shooters at four of the positions.

12. Coach E

Coach E Member

I'm hoping this is true, if so we can make the trade for George. Capella is probably our best prospect.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

At times yes, if we add him or Paul... this team will reach another level for sure.

14. CallMeTheDream

Man Griffin would be a fool to leave LA. Nobody in the west is knocking off the Warriors regardless so he'd be leaving the good life to come to Houston? He'd be leaving all that guaranteed money on the table for nothing. I'm sure not being in LA would also affect his endorsement deals.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

The blake/harden PnR would be devastating because blake isn't just a great finisher, but a great passer too.

spacing without ryno may not be as big an issue as people think. if opponents leave blake open, you can still pass him the ball on the perimeter and he can damn sure put it on the floor to score or break down the defense then kick it out to a shooter.

also, consider how much effect ryno's spacing had in the playoffs, vs blake's scoring/passing abilities will have. harden won't be tripple teamed anymore. we can give it to blake in the post during crunch time when nothing else is working. these are all things that benefit us more than ryno's spacing. the clippers never had problems with spacing because of pairing blake and deandre either.

while hayward and PG are my first 2 options due to age and durability, blake is my #3 for the reasons above. yes he is a bit injury prone, but less so than CP3. i'd rather not pair harden with a couple of 32 year olds like CP3 and millsap, or another player who disappears in the playoffs like lowry.

16. Ben Frank

Ben Frank Member

Could a ..

Griffin
    George
    Harden

Challenge the Warriors..

I believe so.

#PipeDream

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I wonder if Jerry West is recruiting Hakeem to become a Clippers legend to recruit for the Clippers.

Gorki, BHannes2BHonest and Fullcourt like this.
  18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I don't know if Hakeem would have any influence on these free agents today. He should, but I don't know if these young guys care about anyone that played 20 years ago. These guys today look up to rappers and such. Can Hakeem even rap at all?

BigggReddd likes this.
  19. mightybosstone

Griffin is hardly Clint Capela offensively. You're talking about a guy with a pretty damn good mid-range shot who actually started extending his jumper to the 3-point line last season. More than 28 percent of Griffin's shots came from 16 feet out to the 3-point line, and he hit a career high 44 percent from that range last season. He also shot a career high 113 3-point attempts at a respectable rate of 33.6 percent.

Griffin is no Ryan Anderson, but he's a solid perimeter shooter who could play either the 4 or the 5 in this offense and who would be a massive upgrade over what the Rockets have in the front court offensively today.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The mid range shot is not something the Rockets want players taking, so it doesn't really matter if he can do it or not. I don't think he can hit the 3 well enough to keep teams from cheating off of him and encouraging him to chuck up a brick. So unless he can get a LOT better at shooting 3's he's a terrible fit even if he manages to stay healthy.

Jatman20 and Remlap like this.