1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Record 2-mile sniper shot kills ISIS militant in Iraq

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by davidio840, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Kendrick Lamar

Kendrick Lamar Contributing Member

should be an olympic event..

but seriously..i wish some documentary could explain the logistics of shooting a target that far away..

Yung-T likes this.
  2. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

If this guy really made that shot where is the proof? Everything now is recorded and is on the cloud. This appears to be clever yet blatant anti-IS propaganda by Canada.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  3. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

We don't sniper you from 2 miles away. We drop the MOAB on your ass and wipe out all your homies in a 2 mile radius while you're underground... in a tunnel!

'MURICA!

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He's the the sniper version of what Jontro is to fapping.

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Are you anti-science? His bullet goes subsonic (0.996 mach) at 1900 yards if he is shooting a .416 barrett. Assuming Temperature: 94.0 °F Pressure 29.92 in Hg stability in the bullet during this transition and the 1 moa accuracy (3 foot spread) goes away.

Also, at 3550 meters assuming a max point blank range zero, a bullet BC of .720 and a muzzle velocity of 3150 his dope would be -11697.5 inches and bullet would hit at 788.9fps. If the particular cartridge delivers only 3135 fps (average spread of match ammo is 25 fps, so 15 is generous) the bullet will strike at -11794.6 and 787.7 fps. that's almost 100 inch variance, and off target. And this is a factor that cannot be compensated for just like mechanical accuracy of the rifle and subsonic stability. This is all easy to calculate.

Even if the dope is perfect, the shot was lucky.

7. conquistador#11

I'm more impressed that the target stood still for so long for so long. Was he giving a speech?
    I can't even stand still for a long exposure portrait trying out those late 1800s cameras at a discovery exhibit.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

Good point, time to target from 3500 meters is 9.4 seconds.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wouldn't the DOPE get instantly improved by taking one shot prior to the kill shot?

Not trying to argue here, but I've been wondering about it since hearing about this. At 2 miles, the target probably doesn't hear the shot. So he could take a practice shot (say into a tree or wall nearby the target) and adjust to exact conditions for the kill shot.

Is taking two shots just out of the question?

Or are you saying the bullets themselves have manufacturing variance that can add slight randomness that becomes significant and that distance?

10. Bandwagoner

Yeah so I was saying what the variables would be if the dope was 100% perfect. All taking two shots does (the way you are describing it) is improve the dope. Everything I am talking about is the manufacturing tolerances in the lock stock barrel plus the bullet and cartridge.

The best match ammo has a very small spread in muzzle velocity from shot to shot. something like an extreme spread of 36 fps and StdDev of 12. With 15 he is 100 inches off target. The best rifles can shoot 1/2 minute of angle but that goes away when the bullet goes subsonic and destabilizes. Shooting one minute of angle he is 39 inches off target.

#30 Bandwagoner, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    heypartner likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Nobody said he took one shot at the guy. This isn't a movie. Watch the youtube video on the now second longest shot recorded. The guy took like 4 shots and adjusted according. There is definitely luck involved at 2 miles, but it can be done.

Several of my buddies hit human size targets with 338 at a mile on a regular basis. The same buddies shoot at golf balls at the range at 1000 feet. They don't hit the golf balls on the first shot, but they normally hit them within 5-10 shots on a relatively calm day.

Just buy stock into the company manufactures the gun and the round. Every wannabe sniper on the interwebs will be buying one thinking that they are the second coming of Chris Kyle. That is what happened when the previous record was set. Everybody starting buying Accuracy International 338.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It turns out that it was a McMillan Tac 50 using an Hornady Amax 50 cal bullet. No gun range in Austin allows 50 cals anymore. The last one that did, had some bozo hit the sand berm high and it ricocheted and hit some person's house a mile away. I

have friend that has 2 of them, and the only place we can shoot it is on his property where he only has a 200 yard range. It's kinda overkill for a 50 cal.

13. Bandwagoner

That just makes the dope better, I was assuming a perfect dope (which is basically not achievable)

338 lapua is still super sonic past the 1600 meters they are shooting at. That is a completely different world.

Also when I talked cartridges I gave a variance of 15 fps muzzle velocity. Such a spread would put him off 100 inches at 3550 meter. The same 15 fps difference in muzzle velocity would change your buddies point of impact 0.5" at 1600 meters (nothing)

Starting to see why 1600 meters is no where close to 3550 meters?

#33 Bandwagoner, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  14. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

i shouldn't be surprised that there is always someone who poo poos an impressive accomplishment...[​IMG]

justtxyank likes this.
  15. heypartner

Well, considering no other sniper is within 4,000 feet of his record, it does make sense that they are facing a higher and higher level of manufacturing variance as the bullet goes subsonic for longer and longer.

I have no problem saying not only does that sniper have to read the conditions perfectly, but he needs some luck too.

16. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

no doubt...fortune favours the prepared.

17. Buck Turgidson

Maybe he did shoot twice?

But as I learned from my good friends Billy Zane and Tom Berenger, "One shot, 2 kills" is the ideal.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What they fail to mention about the American record is that it was set with a 44 mag handgun and no spotter.

heypartner likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

By Chuck Norris. Or Sam Elliot, I forget.

20. heypartner

Must have been Sam or Clint, because Chuck just scares the enemy into shooting themselves.