1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recommendations on where to buy live crawfish? (~200 pounds)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swyyyguy, Apr 25, 2018.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

The crawfish supplier I used to go to isn't around anymore. Do any of you have a crawfish supplier you can recommend? Thanks in advance! :cool:

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

You should ask your fellow Mavs. They were sent fishing a few weeks back. I am sure they can give you ~20000 pounds

RasaqBoi, J Sizzle, King1 and 3 others like this.
  3. CCorn

CCorn Member

What side of town?

HEB will have them, if you’re on the south side I know some places

4. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Clear Lake!

5. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

look up Boyd's in TX City.

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Buddy drove to Lake Charles for ~100 pounds last weekend. $1.99 a pound is what I think he said he paid.

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

I'm bringing the liquor, @Mathrocker is bringing the "extra curriculars"

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Louisiana. Pack up your stuff and move there. Thanks in advance.

davidio840, FTW Rockets FTW and King1 like this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Boyd’s. Gotta call them.

All the Korean places under the Kemah bridge, seabrook side, also swamp shack.

For convenience I usually just go to HEB though.

10. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

11. Buck Turgidson

B&D Seafood, JJ's, there's about 197 seafood markets around Houston. Call around your area. They will sell you crawfish. If they don't look good, go to the next one.

12. Buck Turgidson

Sorry! I missed this earlier.

Go to Rosie's in Seabrook.

eta: Boyd's is also great! I miss all those places.

13. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Is he really a Mavs fan? I know an awesome place, but I aint telling no stinkin Mavs fan.

14. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

He is good people. Htown super fan thru nd thru

I can vouch for him. He might even buy you beer

15. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

why's he have a mavs fan reputation then?

16. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

The person loudly proclaiming him to be a Mav's fan hates JJ Watt. Do you really need to know any more?

Harrisment likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

Hey brother @Pole, I need your crawfish spice recipe again. You gave it to me 13 years ago and I finally lost the piece of paper last year. It's the best.

It cracked my dad up...."if it's too hot, drink another beer."

Os Trigonum and Roscoe Arbuckle like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

19. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Oh wow........blast from the past. One thing I've been doing lately, and it really helps for large boils, and especially if you want to have a bit of extra time to hang out with guests and eat some bugs with them is this: I now use my large pot (it's MUCH bigger than the typical crawfish pot) and bring it to a boil with nothing but salted water. Because it's so much boiling water, it cooks the bugs real quick because it hardly stops boiling when you drop them in. Anyway, I lower a basket of purged crawfish into the boiling, salted water, and I wait until just the first layer on top starts to float. I then remove the basket (which fits into my smaller, normal sized pot) and I dunk it into plain water that normal pot to arrest the cooking. Let it sit for about a minute, and then I pull it out and use the hose to really spray off the crawfish. This gets rid of any of that scum that develops when they boil, and further cleans them of any dirt loosened by boiling water. Then I throw them into a cooler with a bit of ice. I do this with all of my crawfish until they are all cooked, and I generally complete this process about an hour or so before guests arrive. I'll then pre-cook (just until done) all of my corn, potatoes, mushrooms and any other veggies I normally do (sometimes broccolini, sometimes artichokes......whatever and wherever the mood takes me)........I do this in seasoned water, but not heavily seasoned. I take them out and put them in trays, and then I readjust the water seasoning and add butter---basically my normal seasoning, but I get this water just "warm." Then a bit before guests arrive, I take out a basket of pre-cooked crawfish and put them in the warm--almost, but not quite simmering--seasoned water, and I let them sit for about fifteen minutes. Then I add enough of the pre-cooked veggies for that batch of crawfish, and then I turn up the heat. I remove the batch before the water boils and serve.

What this accomplishes (besides making the process easier and less time consuming when guests are actually present) is that it allows the crawfish to sit in the seasoned water longer without actually being at a "cooking" temperature. I've found that there's a fine line between leaving crawfish in the seasoning water long enough to absorb all of the flavors you want and overcooking them. This process eliminates that issue. Plenty of seasoning; never overcooked. I've also found that no matter how clean your crawfish are, the dirt and scum accumulated from cooking them "kills" your boiling water pretty quickly and later batches are never as good......even if you adjust seasoning. The pre-cooking and rinsing part of this process almost eliminates and certainly postpones that issue.

20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

[​IMG]