1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reckoning with Bill Clinton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 14, 2017.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Would you describe 14 years as "decades" or a "decade" ago if you were going to pick one of those terms?

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

He is a very underrated President who gave his Presidency up to do the right thing and raise taxes.

Bill Clinton's economy can thank itself that Bush raised those taxes against the party and against his pledge.

He also handled Desert Storm perfectly. A lot of Republicans wanted him to follow Saddam into Iraq.

Damn near every major decision he made has been vindicated by history

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Bill is the natural politician.

Obama and Michelle are very similar to Bill and Hilary as power couples. What's to say Michelle can't turn her husband's success to her favor. I think there would be more blow back if she tried.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i base my opinion off of watching the clintons for 25 years. and its not lazy debating...fchowd0311 accused me of making assumptions about her when he was doing the exact same thing. all i was trying to do was point that out.

that was my initial point.

nope. my opinion is based on fact. hillary engaged in a campaign to publicly slander these women, tear them down and call them liars when she knew all along that what they were saying was true. over and over again she would make excuses for bill being a skank, blame others and attack the women.

i dont know what your point is here.

not sure if this is directed at me, but i never said anything about the election and whether or not she could only win in blue states. and i do consider hillary and all around scumbag and i base my opinion on facts.

all that being said, i voted for her for president. for only the 2nd time in my life i voted for a democrat. and i hate hillary clinton...that just shows how much more i hate trump.

5. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...b0b0ded0253_story.html?utm_term=.abe228f8fa2c

Enabler or family defender? How Hillary Clinton responded to husband’s accusers

When Bill Clinton launched a presidential run in 1991, his wife and senior staff considered how to deal with what came to be known as “bimbo eruptions.”

“I think, by then, Hillary had a very good notion of Bill’s behavior,” said her longtime friend Nancy Pietrafesa. “Maybe she endured it, but I don’t think she condoned it.”

Nevertheless, Hillary Clinton dismissed an accusation made by Gennifer Flowers, the singer who sold her story to a supermarket tabloid after having previously denied an affair. In an ABC News interview, she called Flowers “some failed cabaret singer who doesn’t even have much of a résumé to fall back on.” She told Esquire magazine in 1992 that if she had the chance to cross-examine Flowers, “I mean, I would crucify her.”

Hillary Clinton’s support for her husband was crucial, and she sat by his side during a crucial “60 Minutes” interview, saying she was not like the victim in Tammy Wynette’s “Stand By Your Man.” Campaign pollster Stan Greenberg said at the time that the public would disregard the allegations if they believed he had been truthful to his wife.
    Six years later, Bill Clinton acknowledged a sexual encounter with Flowers.

As other women emerged, Hillary Clinton helped forge aggressive defenses.

Former White House press secretary George Stephanopoulos recalled in his memoir discussing a woman’s allegation published in Penthouse Magazine. He said that after her husband dismissed it as untrue during a meeting, Hillary Clinton said, “We have to destroy her story.”

By July 1992, the campaign hired private detective Jack Palladino to investigate the accusers involved in two dozen allegations.

In 1994, former Arkansas state employee Paula Jones alleged in a lawsuit that Bill Clinton groped her in a hotel room three years earlier. Hillary Clinton wrote in her autobiography, “Living History,” that she erred in opposing an early settlement.

Eventually, Bill Clinton settled for $850,000. During discovery, Jones’s attorneys found out about White House intern Monica Lewinsky.

Her husband denied the relationship, and Hillary Clinton blamed the allegations on a “vast right-wing conspiracy.”

Asked on “Good Morning America” if her husband had been truthful, she said, “I know he has.”

A former White House aide who spoke on the conditions of anonymity to talk about private discussions said Hillary Clinton blamed the scandal on political enemies and insisted that privacy was sacred.

Bill Clinton admitted his untruthfulness in August 1998.

Hillary Clinton wrote in her autobiography that her husband claimed Lewinsky had misinterpreted his attention. “It was such a familiar scenario that I had little trouble believing the accusations were groundless,” she wrote.

A chill fell over the White House as the truth about Lewinsky emerged, former staffers and friends said.

“She had to do what she had always done before: swallow her doubts, stand by her man and savage his enemies,” Stephanopoulos wrote, describing Hillary Clinton’s reaction.

“I think it was obvious she was more than mad, more than upset,” said Mary Mel French, a White House aide during the Clinton years. “She wasn’t speaking to him. . . . It took a long time for that to settle down.”

Hillary Clinton did not speak publicly about Lewinsky and confided in few people. Matthews, her Little Rock pastor, said he offered to listen, but she warned him that he might be subpoenaed.

“She’s not the type of person who calls friends and cries about it,” Henry said.

Hillary Clinton opened up to Blair’s wife, Diane, a few weeks later, according to a diary kept by the now-deceased friend. “She thinks she was not smart enough, not sensitive enough, not free enough of her own concerns and struggles,” Diane Blair wrote. “It was a lapse, but she says to his credit he tried to break it off, tried to pull away, tried to manage someone who was clearly a ‘narcissistic loony toon;’ but it was beyond control.”

Lewinsky wrote in Vanity Fair in 2014 that she found Hillary Clinton’s “impulse to blame the Woman — not only me, but herself — troubling.” She declined an interview request.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Neither the ones aimed at Weinstein, Toback, Spacey, Cosby, Kobe Bryant, or Roy Moore, but I believe all of those too. My prejudice is to give credibility to the women who take the extraordinary step of accusing men of power. It's not good enough for a prosecution, but it is good enough for me to not stick my head in the ground and pretend like there isn't a problem. I know men, I know human sin, and I know the statistics. It's a lot easier to believe Trump did the things they said he did than to believe he didn't. If you think I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, well there's no chance of that. Men have been getting away with sexual assault for too long because of plausible deniability. For this -- for what I expect for my elected representatives in high office -- I expect them to not only avoid any improprieties but to avoid all appearances of impropriety. If you can't do that, you aren't worthy of the office.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The subject is like police brutality.

We don't live in the fifties. It's in the news so it seems rampant but out in real world jobs employers are pretty serious now about harassment. I don't think it's that big of a problem.

Just as in police brutality, how many victims if any do you know of sexual harassment

8. JuanValdez

That's a bit of a softball given how wide the definition of sexual harassment is. It's not something women are eager to talk about (or men if they find themselves there), so you may know many people who have dealt with it and they didn't say anything about it to you. I'm reticent to talk about other people's business on the internet and would rather not make the conversation personal. I personally have not endured sexual harassment in the workplace. I would say very generally I know people who have, and I don't think employers are nearly as serious or nearly as in control as you think they are.

But, that's a bit besides the point. I was responding about Trump, not normals. I have to have an opinion on Trump because his character flaws impact me. He has a high bar to attain because he's president, one he falls disastrously short of. Bill too. Hillary too. I wouldn't vote Weinstein for president either if he ever ran.

9. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

An accomplice is an accomplice is an accomplice...

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So now a wife is an accomplice to rape or sexual assault when their husband commits such an act when their wife doesn't believe the accusations?

You are using a legal definition:"accomplice".

So do you think your usage of this term would hold up in a formal court hearing that Hillary was an 'accomplice to rape'?

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

In the historical context of sexual misconduct in the history of our society, of course Bill Clinton and the situation revolving around our reaction at the time vs the present day will be important to understand.

That being said yesterday came with a flood of news so much that I found it crazy that this thread was the most polarizing and most talked about.

It just speaks to what spikes our poltical and cultural issues despite the flood of more important issues that affect our lives on a daily basis. At the end of the day nothing gets people going like Hillary and Trump. We are addicted to punching the same spot in a brick wall thinking that maybe this time, it will go down.

And yes the Bill Clinton article quickly turns into a Hillary referendum. It was back in the 90’s when she was the most hated First Lady of all time to now in 2017. I lived through the Clinton era with a very conservative family. She never stood a chance in 2016 with Republicans because of the foundation of hate that was built up in the 90’s and she will continue to be the biggest boogeyman to the right until that generation that was old enough to care in the 90’s start to die off.

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

But he wasn't "folksy". Couldn't tell you the price of milk if his life depended on it... and if you had a "beer talk" with him?? What a snob!

His tax promise had the unintended consequence of solidifying No Tax movements, like Grover Norquist's, where you have to sign a blood oath to get their endorsement.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

An accomplice is an accomplice, and a wife is not an accomplice.

For some reason you've chosen to just spout stuff whether it actually makes any sense or not. I am sure to you it must make some sense, but it doesn't to anybody else.

#93 FranchiseBlade, Nov 15, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  14. TheresTheDagger

She's not merely a "wife". She's a political ally who has hooked herself to Bills star for his positives while attacking his accusers unfairly when she knew better. I'm fairly certain that's what he's referring to as an "accomplice".

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Let me ask you from this angle. Do you think you know guys in power who would take advantage of young women.

On a corporate level it has been a mortal sin for at least 2 decades

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have agreed that she deserves criticism for attacking and ridiculing the accusers. That doesn't mean she's a rapist or the equivalent of a sexual predator.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bill Clinton probably is guilty of sexual harassment in the work place, and his wife of being zealously loyal to him and willing to attack anyone who accussed him.

They are flawed people for sure. But that doesn't mean he wasn't a great president - we was. And I'd still take Clinton over Trump (holding my nose).

I think we need to realize a few things. It's time sexual harassment come with real consequences now that women are speaking out. And we also need to define what it means to be a great president and yet a flawed human being. Should our political leaders be perfect?

Should Roy Moore be disqualified for what he did 40 years ago? I don't think so if he did it that long ago and didn't continue the behavior. When has it become that we can't allow people to make mistakes and become a better person. Sure, do something wrong 2 years ago like this and you shouldn't be president or a senator. But decades makes a difference.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Clinton didn't commit a crime, he commented sexual harassment.

An older person in power sleeping with an intern is like the technical definition. I think we all understand Lewinsky was a willing adult. Regardless of her willingness he still shouldn't be sleeping with her

19. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Fixed it for you.

There were allegations of rape, but he was never tried for it.

he was, however, guilty of perjury. But he was never convicted of it. He did lose his law license because of the perjury though.

I agree with this statement. What he did with Lewinsky was not a crime.
    The only reason It only came to light was because it was used by the prosecutors in the Paula Jones sexual harassment case to show he had a history of sexual relations with people under his supervision.

He was a fairly solid president..but in all likelihood, he probably did sexually assault Juanita Broaddrick. But it was a whole lot easier for a rich lawyer to get away with those kinds of things back in the early 90's.

20. JuanValdez

I was thinking about that this morning because it seems to have been just a discrete period in his life between his graduation from law school circa 1977 and his decision to run for electoral office in 1982 (save for one butt-grabbing incident with a grown woman in 1991). It is long in the past, he could have matured since then, maybe he's grown in his relationship with Jesus or whatever. The problem for me is that he has not repented before the electorate. He could have said the late 70s was a dark period in his life, that he strayed from Jesus, but he saw the error of his ways and repented, left the teens alone and married an adult and has been faithful ever since. He could have done that and I could be sympathetic. I give Louis CK a lot of credit for taking this approach. Instead, Moore denies everything, denies knowing these women, calls them all liars out to destroy him. But they are more credible than he is, which means it looks to me like he's lying to my face today. It's not some sin from 40 years ago. He's lying today. The Alabama voters will probably accept it and vote for him anyway, but I don't like it when people tell me baldfaced lies and I really don't like it when they think I'm not smart enough to tell or courageous enough to object.