1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Recent movies...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MoonBus, Apr 26, 2000.

1. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Since Ace brought up the topic about movies... has anyone seen U-571?

Just saw "Romeo Must Die" (RMD) & "The Skull".

RMD
    If you are not a martial-arts/action fan, don't bother with RMD, because it's not for you. Like any other action movie, the plot is thin but the action was quite good. Jet Li's acting is quite poor, but so are majority of action stars. The story was predictable and at the very beginning one can already guess who is good/bad. The title has nothing to do with the movie. The leading character, Jet Li, is not even named Romeo???!!! There was a reference near the end of the movie by one of the bad guys "Now you die, Romeo!" So..., that's how titles are chosen. [​IMG]
    I did find the use of "x-ray" in the movie to be quite cool and original. When Li cracks a bone, the movie will show it in "x-ray" mode!
    If you are into action movies, rent this on video (make sure it's in wide screen format).

Skull
    I missed the first 15 minutes of the movie, but I don't think I missed much. The story line is intriguing and I expected a suspense/thriller type of movie. It was a dud. There was no suspense and it certainly wasn't thrilling. The dialogue was laughable, the acting was average at best, and the story was unconvincing. I expect action movies to have these deficiencies (after all, I watch action movies for "the action"), but not from a suspense movie.
    Unless you don't know anything about fraternities and/or is naive to think that all things are good, there is nothing new here. For the people who saw the movie, what the heck was the meaning at the end when the Senator says "Bravo, my son." or something to that effect? My recommendation, skip this movie. I had to apology to my wife for dragging her to see this movie. Ughhh!!! [​IMG]

Any movies to recommend?

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hey, don't you know I'm the only one to start posts about music and movies!?!

[​IMG]

I saw U-571 and American Psycho over the past week. U-571 was very good, a little unbelievable (like most movies aren't), but still very entertaining nonetheless.

American Psycho was good. I don't know how many of you have read the book. Those who have either think it's a piece of crap or a satire on the '80s lifestyle. I fall into the latter group. If you fall into the former, don't go see the movie. It could have been done better, and I didn't like the ending, but it was still good. If you didn't read the book, but still saw the movie, understand that the speeches about Huey Lewis, Phil Collins, and Whitney Houston were all long chapters in the book. I've read reviews where the reviewer obviously didn't read the book, and thought that those scenes were too contrived.

I still want to see Ghost Dog, High Fidelity, and probably hundreds of others.

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in late May, for now visit www.eesite.com)

3. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

Ghost Dog looks pretty cool, i wanna see it. The last movie i saw was Final Destination, i was dissapointed 'cuz everyone was telling me how scary it was and it wasn't at all. It's just like those Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer type of "scary" movies.

------------------

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Come on Drag On, that Bus scene startled you didn't it!

[​IMG]

------------------
    Get your proper swirve on...visit www.swirve.com (coming in late May, for now visit www.eesite.com)

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Rules of Engagement was pretty disappointing to me. I thought the ending sucked. They just kind of cut you off at the end; they tell you what happens, but I wanted to see them go after the bad guy, not read the ending in text.

I was expecting a movie along the lines of A Few Good Men. I guess it was worth seeing, but I could have waited for it to come out on video.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

6. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

7. Lord Tree

Lord Tree Member

I saw American Psycho last Friday. If you like dark humor and oozing satire on 80's business culture (which for some reason, the movie makes me think of "A Modest Proposal"), then I *HIGHLY* recommend this movie. Unfortunately, if you miss the point (which it seems a lot of people have from what I've read), then you'll think this movie is just some disgusting, tasteless crap from the mind of some psycho. =)

------------------

8. Drag-On 88

Drag-On 88 Member

okay okay, Rocketman95... i'll admit it, that bus scene did startle me, i wasn't expecting that at all...so that part was pretty good [​IMG]

------------------

9. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

95 & 88, are you guys making some obscene references about me? [​IMG]

If Final Destination is like Scream, that is good because I liked Scream. However, if it was like I Know...Summer, then that sucks.

Lord Tree, I think most movie-goers are under 25, so they may not know/remember much about the 80's.

From the sound of it, American Psycho is a winner.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

U-571: I'll give it a 4. Wasn't as good as i expected, but then again, I was expecting a lot. Lots of explosions and keeps you on the edge of your seat ... good thriller.

Final Destination: Definately reminds me of Scream/I Know What You Did Last Summer. It just has the 'group' of people getting picked off one by one type of movie. I must say it was very disgusting movie. Movies these days are getting way too graphic. I heard about the 'bus' scene and it even suprised me when I saw it. I'll give it a 3 1/2 ... one of the better movies at the theature these days.

High Fideltity: Ok, I got suckered into this one. I did not know anything about this movie when i went to see it. There is only one movie that rates as low as this one ... Romy and Michelle's high School Reunion ... at least that one had cute babes. No Plot, not funny, slow, dry, boring. Not worth the $1 for the dollar show, not worth the 2 hrs wasted watching it. Im only writing about it to save ya the despair. I'll give it a 1/2 ...only cuz I like Cusack

------------------