1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebounding - the problem we can't fix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Nov 17, 2010.

1. trugoy

trugoy Member

Rebounding rate of our players ranked against all players by position

Center

Yao - 22nd
    Chuck - 31st
    Miller - Not in the top 50

PF

Scola - 22nd
    Jordan Hill - 32nd

SF

Chase - 28th
    Shane - 33rd

SG

Lee - 43rd
    Martin - not in the top 50

PG

Lowry - 4th
    Ish - 16th
    Brooks - not in the top 50

Summary: We are below average in rebounding in EVERY position other than PG which is our strongest rebounding position.

Lowry is equal to Battier in terms of rebounding in ABSOLUTE numbers.

We can fix our offense by playing more offensive minded players(Brooks, Chase, JT, Miller, etc...), we can fix our defense by playing more defensive minded players(chuck, shane, Lee, Lowry, JJ, etc..)

However we have no way to fix our rebounding problems, we do not even have an average rebounder in our frontcourt.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Dang, would not have guessed Scola and Hill would be so low.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It might be nice if you posted a link so people could view for themselves.

As I suspect the rebounding rates and rankings are skewed by players that don't play all that many minutes....and thus are afforded a high rank in rebounding rate, but a low rank in actual game impact.

DD

4. trugoy

trugoy Member

I know but the numbers don't lie, Scola looks a better rebounder because of his playing time and the high pace that the rockets play.

5. trugoy

trugoy Member

Actual, it strips out all the players that haven't played enough minutes to qualify, including players like Jared Jefferies.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?position=pf&sort=defReboundRate&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fposition%3dpf%26sort%3ddefReboundRate

6. DaDakota

Just as I suspected, guys like Anthony Randolph at 11mpg, or Ryan Anderson at 12mpg...lots of bench players at 20mpg where benches are not as skilled at scoring and more boards are available.

Not saying your premise is completely wrong, just that your OP is an incomplete look at it....

Even Jordan Hill is only at 15mpg....

Sometimes stats are misleading.

DD

7. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This so serious of a problem i don't know who they can snag realistically via trade or free agency besides Erick Dampier. I just hope we do something because this is very frustrating. I remember the days when Yao and Scola starting at the center and power forward position had us indefeated for a long while. Now i realize we need a big physical enforcer down there!

8. Mr. Clutch

Well, we need Yao back ASAP, at least he's not horrific, and will probably improve as he continues to get in better shape.

Oh, and Ariza is 13th. Just sayin'.

9. dreamshake09

dreamshake09 Member

...Rockets are 5th overall in rebounds/gm.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not getting over that trade, that dude was the perfect glue guy for this team's failings

11. trugoy

trugoy Member

How is it misleading?

Our team rebound rate is ranked 22nd equal with NY, that seems perfectly in line with where our players are ranked, below average.

12. Mr. Clutch

You need to adjust for pace. They are 19th in rebounding rate.
    Edit: Trugoy says 22nd, Im not sure if the stats I looked at updated from yesterday.

13. DaDakota

I am not saying we are a good rebounding team, it certainly looks like we aren't....

Just that when you are comparing rebounding rates, you need to consider the outliers that are not playing big minutes, and impact the game far less....than others.

DD

14. Mr. Clutch

I was ok for it, because Courtney Lee was described as a glue guy too, but cheaper. But Lee looks terrible out there so far. And tiny.

15. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I think we're actually a pretty decent rebounding team. Havent read the link (dont have espn insider) but I prefer the following stat (its the % of available rebounds a player got when he was on the floor): total rebound percentage

When looking at the above, Scola is 12th amongst league PFs which is pretty good. Hayes also does an admirable job in this area as he's not too far behind Scola. If either of them had Miller's body, I think they'd be a top 5 rebounder in the league.

That said, our best rebounders are undersized, and the ones with size lack athleticism (Miller, Yao) and lose a lot of battles for rebounds. Hill doesnt get many minutes to show his rebounding skills, but when he gets the chance, I havent seen the Hayes-like tenacity to get a board; I love Chuck and Scola's fight for 50-50 balls. Even if they arent in perfect position, they battle to at least tip it to someone else and often times end up keeping plays alive.

1 person likes this.
  16. DaDakota

Nicely spoken....and a good look at it...much deeper, IMO.

DD

17. trugoy

trugoy Member

Sort by REBR, it is sorted in the link by DRR which is Defensive Rebound rate only.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics?position=pf&sort=reboundRate&year=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2fhollinger%2fstatistics%3fposition%3dpf%26sort%3dreboundRate%26year%3d2010

18. trugoy

trugoy Member

Your link shows scola is 42nd amongst all players
    Chuck is 52nd, Hill is 58th.

19. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Its not that hard, give Hill more playing time and you will get more rebounds!!

1 person likes this.
  20. trugoy

trugoy Member

The stats show Hill is actually worse than both Scola and Chuck in rebounding.