1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rebounding -- and How To Fix This Issue

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Can we talk about the rebounding issue? Last year the Rockets were one of the better rebounding teams. They didn't give up those 2nd chance points. And it was very important to winning. This year the Rockets are one of the worst teams in this area. What is happening?

1) General effort.
    2) Scheme - players not in the best position to rebound. Switching scheme.
    3) Loss of Ariza & Moute and Ennis & House/Clark are not as effective either physically rebounding or in boxing out.
    4) All of the above?
    -- Anything else?

Lets talk about this.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yep that was key even in 16-17 ..i never was afraid of us being outrebounded even if going small in previous years

3. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Ariza and Ryno are decent rebounders.

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

From the thread title, I was hoping we were rebounding from the horrid start

Pat, ryano2009 and Deuce like this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Teams are switching Capela onto someone outside the 3 point line way more frequently than they did last year. I honestly didn't notice it at all last year, but this year it seems like every team is doing it over and over. They either pull him out to guard the ball handler or they pull him out to guard a three point shooter who is out of the play, either way, it seems like he rarely even has a chance at the rebound.

smp, topfive, Jake Tower and 13 others like this.
  6. plates300

plates300 Member

rebounding is all about positioning and hustle, something the Rockets haven't show much of since the start of the season.

Corrosion, ramotadab and ak99999 like this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

good points!

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Ariza got 4.4 boards in 34 minutes
    Ennis gets 2.9 boards in 25.5 minutes

Anderson grabbed 5 boards in 26 minutes
    Melo was grabbing 5.4 boards in 29.5 minutes
    Clark grabbed 3.4 boards in 21 minutes per game (in November, he played 15 games so it's a good sample i'd say)

Capela so far is 11.8 in 33.9...was 10.8 in 27.5 last season
    Gordon so far is 2.3 in 32.5...was 2.5 in 31.2
    Green so far is 2.5 in 17...was 3.2 in 22.7
    House so far is 2.7 in 19.9
    Harden so far is 5.5 in 36.1...was 5.3 in 35.4
    Paul so far is 4.3 in 33.9...was 5.4 in 31.8

The biggest difference i see is on Capela and Paul numbers, Chris is playing two minutes more but getting one board less, Capela is playing six minutes more and only getting one board more. I guess it's worth to consider that Chris is aging and played hurt a lot so far, Clint is probably playing a lot more on the perimeter so he's probably missing some rebound opportunities.

Overall though, is like no one of our players is getting a significant boost over last season in terms of rebounds when maybe it should be expected with the new shot clock rule...?

pippendagimp, RyanB and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Aside from looking at "rebound numbers" by a player.... I think there could be subtle things too that aren't in the box score like boxing out guys. Ariza appears a lot stronger than Ennis in the paint. So that could be a subtle thing.

clutchdabear and RyanB like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This has been mentioned before and thus is a SCHEME issue. Teams had an offseason to study the Rockets switching. They are taking Capela out of the action and it is hurting us. Perhaps the coaching staff shouldn't be as stubborn as it is with going 100% switching and being more selective.

This is the kind of stuff that can be fixed

gfab-babyboi and RyanB like this.
  11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Need better players....

DD

txn likes this.
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

I think one way(I remember Matt and Craig mentioning this last night) was that you can switch everything but the center position. That seemed to be working, its prolly why Nene had the highest plus minus, He may have been getting killed on the boards by I dont remember him getting switched onto any guard when he played.

IvanLCPM and Deuce like this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i think you can see that in different occasions we're kinda lazy in switching even when it's not exactly required. Would really love to see a stat about Clint areas of play, cause i'm pretty sure he spends way more time on the perimeter, and considering that he's playing 6 minutes more per game, i'm kinda shocked he's not getting more tired by this switching considering the stamina problems he has/had, he probably spends almost the same time of our guards on small players, if that's the case, it's just not right imo.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I heard that comment too. And Nene played deep into the 4th. These are the kinds of things I am talking about.

RyanB and HP3 like this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Y'all still acting like this garbage team is fixable?

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It could be. Or not. But I still want to talk about the Rebounding issues. Much rather talk about solutions than whining and complaining, tbh.

17. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Biggest issue I see is when Capela contests or is out on the perimeter our weak side never dives down. PJ and Ennis are the two worst at this. They are so late on the rotations it’s sad. I’m sure it’s alre been scouted so teams are hanging back for the offensive board.

J Sizzle likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

To your recollection, was that an issue with PJ last year?

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's not a problem, it's a symptom of the problem. The cause of all the problems is lack of sufficient desire to win (when compared to other goals). There is no way we are going to fix one isolated thing, especially if what's needed is consistent effort. You can bet all the coaches and executives have tried, team meetings have been held, team legends have sent motivational texts, etc.

You may be able to find a band aid solution if someone strokes their ego a bit, but it will fall apart soon after. The stars don't want to do the heavy lifting and are waiting for cavalry to arrive. They only perform well when an opponent reminds them they are playing like garbage. That's the #1 motivation for these leaders, and it's a flimsy/inconsistent/volatile source of motivation that will piss the hard workers off (well, what's left of them).

Little Bit likes this.
  20. PWR

PWR Member

Tinker with the lineup. It damn sure can't get any worse.

Go with...

Paul (backup is Harden)
    Harden (backup is Gordon)
    Tucker (backup is Ennis)
    Hartenstein (backup is Clark)
    Capela (backup is Hartenstein)

Stop all the damn switching & run a 3-2 zone on defense (vs GSW is the exception). That will put our 2 bigs in position to rebound.

jb86 likes this.