1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Reboot Cinema] Tom Cruise & Russell Crowe in 'The Mummy'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Someone has never seen Edge of Tomorrow.

SunsRocketsfan likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Did he stay dead though? Nope.

Collateral Tom Cruise? Dead.

Edge of Tomorrow Tom Cruise? Not really dead.

3. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I loved the first one. The 2nd one had some pretty terrible special effects. The Rock as the Scorpion King looked so cheap. PS2 graphics would have been an improvement.

Jontro and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This looks like another War of the Worlds bomb

5. SunsRocketsfan

To be fair, you said "dies" in your original post and he dies quite a bit in Live Die Repeat ;)

steddinotayto likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Haha, because he disappoints more in real life.

#But I liked him in Tropic Thunder!!!

#26 daywalker02, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  7. Svpernaut

I quite liked War of the Worlds... well, his p***y son aside. "The world is being invaded and people are being killed by the millions... PERFECT! I THINK I'LL BE MELODRAMATIC!"

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Well....if they had just gone with Robbie, they would have apparently avoided a lot of conflict and made it to their destination easier since he was there when they arrived.

9. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

That would've been a much better movie without that character. The daughter was fairly annoying too. Besides them that could have been a much more entertaining film.

10. Svpernaut

I think Robbie tried to join up with the Army like an idiot, and they were like "GTFO of here you noob!" and took him to his grandparent's house.

I don't like the actor that played him either, which didn't help.

EDIT: Disregard, I am an idiot - they aren't the same person...Still hate them both though... I also feel he was a giant pansy and one of the few downsides to the excellent "A History of Violence."

The daughter being annoying is understandable, as she was just a little kid. Robbie was like 16-17 if I recall... nut up, boy! And what kind of big brother leaves his little sister, especially if they don't like or can't trust their dead beat father?

Now I just wanna punch that kid all over again.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  11. hooroo

hooroo Member

I've met him a few times. He's actually a nice guy IRL.

12. Yaosthirdleg

Yaosthirdleg Member

He filmed Jack Reacher in Pittsburgh and many people there who came into contact with him said the same. On the other hand, Vin Diesel filmed some movie there and they all said he was a massive prick.

13. Dei

Dei Member

Doesn't have the charm of the Brendan Frasier ones.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am not suggesting otherwise just saying he might be more of an actor than Diesel in real life. Not saying Vin is totally authentic either.

There is a reason why Mr. Cruise has been among Top 10 movie stars during the 80s, during the 90s, during the 00s and during the 10s.

He is popular and cool. He has never won the Oscar, if I am wrong, correct me.

Brad Pitt is a tad like him but more successful as a producer.

15. Svpernaut

Cruise is a nice guy, but it is completely scripted - he isn't genuine. Genuine him is a bit off of his rocker, just think him jumping on the coach on Oprah and the crazy internal Scientology video that leaked where he praised LRH like he is Ghandi - that's the real him. In public, he is always selling himself, and Scientology - which is why there are never and screwups. He is as wacky and quirky as guys like Shia LaBeouf, he is just more disciplined. Every one of his interactions are well thought out, planned and pre-packaged. That's a huge reason he started his own production company many moons ago - so he could h ave control over the movies he's in.

He is a smart and successful guy, and I like most of his movies - but he also hasn't taken many risks over the past fifteen years. I think the biggest risk of his career was his Les Grossman character in Tropic Thunder - and I wish he had the balls to do more of that. For the most part though he has the formula for being the perfect action star down pat, so he sticks with that. He's a fantastic drama actor, but I don't know why he doesn't do it anymore. He hasn't won an Oscar, but he was really close with his role in Magnolia and Born on the Fourth of July. He was nominated for his role in Jerry Maguire but had no chance that year.

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well said. Dude is going to be a star until he is 80 or 90 like Robert Redford and would still be looking like 65.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

This movie is getting slammed on Rotten Tomatoes with critics' reviews at 23%.

I thought it might be bad since the reviews did not start appearing until late. It seemed to mean they didn't want to release it for early review because it was not good. But, we will see what real audiences think.

The early reviews seem to think this is not a good fit for Tom Cruise, it's not scary at all, it lacks originality, it tries to be funny but isn't, too much CGI, etc. .

I'm kind of surprised Tom would take on this film. He must not be getting offered very good roles if he took this. I guess it's just a money grab for him.

It still could be a fun popcorn flick. But, it seems like it may be hot garbage vs hot popcorn. Any of you early viewers...can't wait to get your take.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If the IMDB score is higher than 6.5 I might contemplate watching.

19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I agree with all this, but the 2nd paragraph specifically. He should take more risks. He was phenomenal in Jerry Maguire and Magnolia, also. Check out the trailer for American Made (coming out later this year). Looks like he's "trying."

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Except WotW scored a 74% on rottentomatoes and made 591 million worldwide, 234 domnestic.

Svpernaut likes this.