1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Reasons Rockets championship aspirations still very much alive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

This assumes the Lakers don’t get Kawhi Leonard, a take around here that I think is highly unlikely given Kawhi’s clearly vocalized stance to other potential suitors that he plans on playing only for the Lakers. Spurs would rather trade him elsewhere, but they’re not going to let him walk for nothing and will eventually cave. If that happens, the Lakers will most definitely be in the mix with us, if not the favorite, for the 2-seed. Daryl Morey’s said it himself: “This is an arm’s race”. He’s exactly right and when the league’s historic giant enters that arms race less celebrated franchises like the Rockets will find it challenging, perhaps impossible to keep up. It would help if the franchise’s star players recognized the challenge and would sacrifice some salary in the interest of helping their franchise compete in this arm race ala Golden State or the Lebron Heat of several years ago, but that doesn’t appear to be the case here.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Bruh. At the end of the day GS got an all NBA center for peanuts and Hou doesn't have a starting SF yet.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Uhhhh what? Not sure who told you that but they were mistaken. His game is built around his strength and recently he has added perimeter shooting and passing.

YOLO likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes, he is very strong and very big, but a lot of his scoring is on dunks. He's only a 33% 3point shooter for instance. He's versatile and a great passer for a big man, but if he doesn't have explosiveness pushing off that leg it's hard to see him playing D on switches, blocking shots, getting around guys for rebounds, playing face to the basket, etc.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

If GS has the 1 seed the Lakers can not get the 2 seed by virtue of being in the same division.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm not so sure about him being an excessive dunker, though admittedly I've never bothered to look up the stats. When watching him play I always have seen him finish around the rim with more layups than anything else.

Regardless, he's 6'11 with a good wingspan and doesn't need explosiveness to dunk.

YOLO likes this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You are right he is skilled but I think even on layups you need explosiveness. If he loses 25% of his explosiveness next season lets say, I can see Capela owning him in the paint.

8. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I agree on what you said but he does have a good work ethic. He has problems attitude wise when things are going bad. On a team where things are probably not going to go bad his attitude will not be a factor .I still cant believe he bitc#ed out like this. Its still one hell of an injury for a big man.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The word is his conditioning has not been great at times

10. slapyomoma

slapyomoma Member

Man, I hope they resign Mbah. Would be a setback to watch him go along with Trevor

cdxiong likes this.
  11. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

You get the point

12. MadRox

MadRox Member

Cousins would be helpful vs other teams, but vs HOU he'll just die to all our isolations. Much like how Gobert, KATown, Kanter of the world.
    Big men are pretty limited when it's GSW vs HOU with the switch all defensive schemes. Notice how little Capela was playing vs GSW.