1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Really good players, both active or retire who will never get inducted to HOF

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Jul 25, 2019.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

2. TimV

TimV Member

Well, a bunch now are. 5 on that list got in this year (Divac, Westphal, Jones, Moncrief, and Sikma).

3. TheresTheDagger

Pau Gasol
    John Wall
    Amare Stoudamire
    Jeff Hornacek
    Sam Perkins

plutoblue11 likes this.
  4. Theking

Theking Member

Lavar Ball

5. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Mark Price the man who invented splitting the trap

plutoblue11 and Plowman like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do you think Peja Stojakovic will be in?

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

If Rodman's in the HOF (he shouldn't be) then Horry, the best role player ever should get in.

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Clint Capella....

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

How about ones that were never drafted

10. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What is the argument against Rodman?

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I disagree a bit on this one, but if Horry remained on the trajectory of his early career, he would've exceeded Rodman. People used to argue Horry was the next Pippen. I kinda disagree until I watch more older Rocket games. He could've been the new Pippen with a 3. Pippen could never shoot, like Horry. High mid-range and 3 point range. We saw that in 99, Pippen couldn't shoot, like that. Horry also had his athletic prowess and defensive acumen. Horry, not only could most of the positions. He could also keep players, out of the paint. I noticed it more 94-97. He got lazy and gained alot weight. He could still play defense and rebound, occasionally play make. But, not at the intensity or all-pro level in Houston.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Horry's problem was motivation. He had all the tools to be a very, very good player. He just didn't have the intensity to get to that level.

13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

2x All-Star
    5x NBA Champion
    7x Rebounding leader (seven consecutive years)
    8x All-Defensive team
    2x All-NBA team
    2x Defensive Player of the Year

I guess you just don't like Rodman the person and/or personality?

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  14. oelman44

oelman44 Member

On the other hand, Horry made the All-NBA Rookie second team once...

steddinotayto likes this.
  15. rimrocker

16. rimrocker

I don’t see how you put a modern guy in the HOF who was never even the second best player on any of his teams and shrunk from that opportunity when in SA. He also shunned the responsibilities of being a team leader. Dude quit in the playoffs when he was with San Antonio. Quit, took his shoes off, and laid down. Pathetic. That acting up helped him con his way into a trade to Chicago where the cultish persona really took off. Oh, but he hustled! He just didn’t hustle enough to ever develop an offensive game. Oh, but he could guard all five positions! That is hype. He could switch well, but he couldn’t guard centers or PGs consistently. He was an annoying defender though, no doubt.

And I have a hard time believing if players like Dream or Barkley wanted to let down their team by only focusing on rebounding that they couldn’t have led the NBA in that stat. In fact, they both did while shouldering many more burdens than Rodman ever wanted, ever did, or ever could. He was a great role player when he chose to play and his selfishness could be constrained by stronger personalities, but in my view, he is not HOF worthy and his presence in the Hall diminishes the honor. He also disrespected the game by intentionally not developing his own game and taking refuge in his quirky personality to excuse that fact. As good as he was, he wasted a good chunk of his potential. I don’t particularly dislike him, but I do think he rode the coattails of others along with some massive hype into the HOF. And that I don’t like.

But I’m just an old who watched his whole career. I’m sure the young bros probably know better.

17. rimrocker

By the way, go look at those years he won DPOY.

Dream deserved it way more in 89-90. It is one of the great injustices in the sport that Rodman won that year. Dream led the NBA in RBs, Defensive RBs, Rebounding %, Blocks, Defensive Rating, Defensive Win Shares, and Defensive Box +/-. Rodman was not in the top 5 in any of those categories. Plus, Dream was #10 in steals with 2.1. Rodman was #147 with 0.6 steals per game.

Absolutely criminal.

The following season, it should have been Robinson or Robertson. (Dream missed a bunch of games.)

Oh, and Dream was on 9 All-Defensive teams while carrying a much heavier load.

#77 rimrocker, Aug 1, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  18. rimrocker

The Basketball Reference Similarity Scores are fun reading. Real HOF players comp to other HOF players. For instance, Dream comps to Shaq, Ewing, and Moses. Drexler comps to Payton, Kobe, and Wade.

Rodman comps to Rashard Lewis, A.C. Green, and Terry Cummings.

19. TimV

TimV Member

That's simply the difference between being inner circle HOF and peripheral HOFs. It isn't like Rodman doesn't have any HOF players in his comps. And that is typical for guys with grey/black ink qualification in the range of Rodman. All of them have 1 or two HOF players they comp with. Contrast that with Horry, who doesn't have a single player in his comp that is even close to being a borderline HOF player.

Really, I can't see a single currently eligible, non-HOF player in the top 150 players in this list that I would put in over Rodman (not as a player at least - Costello and Rudy should be in due to their combined careers).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html

20. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Derrick Rose will be the first MVP not to get inducted to HOF