1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Realistically from a cap standpoint what would it take for Chris Paul and Dwight?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by eddiewinslow, May 31, 2013.

1. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

Assuming dwight doesn't do a sign and trade and signs for the max we can offer. What would need to be done to sign chris paul in the event he truly is unhappy in LA and would love to form a big 3 in houston?

I would assume 1 of asik or lin would have to be traded or amnestied considering the clippers probably would want neither with bledsoe/billups/deandre in place at those spots.

From there what would we have left in players and cap space to fill around

Chris Paul
    James Harden
    Chandler Parsons
    Dwight Howard

How does miami do it? Just tons of cheap contracts? I'm not really too familiar with the financial side of things.

2. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

Well, we can't amnesty anyone, we already did that to Scola. Plus, you could only use it on those contracts before the new CBA.

3. pnr

pnr Member

I dont think cp3 is leaving la.

4. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

there are alot of reports recently about how he's unhappy with

1.sterling saying he was the reason del negro was let go
    2.that he's unhappy with blake and deandre

Let's be real it's nice to live in LA and all, but blake griffin is never going to morph into a karl malone type and more than likely he won't ever really be a 25/12 guy like tim duncan in his prime. Combined with deandre's horrible contract to basically catch lobs, the clippers even with all that depth are just lacking in superstars around CP3

Joining dwight and james harden would be the manpower needed to win a title

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sign one, then sign and trade for the other. Not easy to pull off.

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

7. Coreyls18

Coreyls18 Member

If we had Paul that may be the end of me watching the games. Chris Paul is one guy I cannot stand to watch. He b****es and complains more than anyone and flops with the best of them. I cant stand the flopping. One reason I hate watching the spurs and heat. It gets ridiculous. If we had paul to go with harden then that would just be too much flopping. Hate to be one of those teams. Our big 3 doesnt need tobe harden, paul, howard. It can be Harden, Howard, Parsons.

8. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

That trade of lin and asik for paul will never happen like that thread proposed.

Why would the clippers tie up $20M+ a year in deandre and asik?

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm almost curtain we'd have to sign and trade for one just to get Asik and Lin off the books.

Sad thing is I thing Parsons will be the lunch pin on any deal to get Lin off the books.

10. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

I think if it comes to dealing parsons to get paul that we just end up signing dwight for $90M and like ESPN said with the tax consequences involved its really not too far off from LA and their $120M offer. Wish carlos Beltran felt that way in 2005

Anyways Dwight/Harden/Parsons is great as a big 3, Paul would be nice, but like stated above, I can't really handle his b****ing and moaning

11. BigPoppa

BigPoppa Member

The Lakers are a Luxury Tax paying team and because of that fact they CAN'T sign and trade. Dwight would have to come as a Free agent straight up. He's already made it clear he doesn't want Asik traded either, he wants Asik on the team. CP3 and James Harden can't play together, you can't have 2 ball dominating Guards. The Clippers are also a tax paying team and can't sign and trade either. That detail is what gives us such a great shot at landing Howard, we don't have to give up anything to get him, advantage of having a low payroll.

12. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Deal Harden, Lin, and Asik for future assets/role players.

Sign Dwight. Sign CP3. Keep Parsons.

We are set for the next 10 years...

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

hehehehe

14. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

TRob/Lin/Asik for Paul then sign Howard

15. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Wrong

Right

And Wrong

1) You can send out a S&T player if you are in the tax, you just can't receive one.

2) yes, CP3 would be terrible next to Harden plus he'd try to take over the team and I just can't stand his flopping

3) see no.1

16. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Deal Harden for role players? Go sit in the corner and be quiet.

17. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

That is where I quit reading

18. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Oh, it would soooooo sweet to get CP3, Howard, and Harden on the same team.

19. finsraider

finsraider Member

I don't see S&T for Paul as an option. Just not the right pieces to make it work.

Assuming the cap is $60 million next year...

$20.5 - Howard
    $18.7 - Paul
    $14.2 - Harden
    $0.93 - Parsons
    $0.79 - Beverley
    $3.43 - 7 cap holds at league minimum
    $0.10 - Tyler Honeycutt
    That's $58.65 million.

EVERYONE else would have to be traded, with the Rockets taking back no salary.

Asik, TJones, White, $2 million to Atlanta for their protected 2014 1st round pick.
    Lin, TRob, and DMo to Milwaukee for their 2014 2nd.

The $1.35 million left in cap space gives Morey just enough room to sign Furkan Aldemir to a longer term contract at a bargin price, similar to Parsons.

The rockets could then use the Room Exception to sign someone like Garcia to a two year, $2.65 million contract. The rest of the roster would have to be on minimum contracts.

Paul / Beverley
    Harden / Garcia / (vet min)
    Parsons / (vet min)
    (vet min) / (vet min)
    Howard / Furkan / (vet min)

The last piece is our 2nd rounder for this year. We may consider a eurostash.

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Idiot post.