1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(RealGM) MDA Remains The NBA's Best Hope Against Predictability

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jul 16, 2018.

1. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

I.D.I.O.T

MDA has done great job, the guy literally made the entire board eat their crow after bringing him on board

2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

funny part is... MDA is extremely predictable....

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Go ahead. Do explain what you mean by this. Please say something other than "short rotation".

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hey, I was picking feathers out of my teeth for weeks after. :oops:

5. kjayp

The players are exciting to watch as they execute... but it's not like there's anything unpredictable about our game... cept who might get a hot hand....
    Harden isos, toss a couple lobs to Clint and chuck up a ton of 3's... on a short rotation. ;) lol
    Aint necessarily a bad thing... if yer good enough at something that they cant stop you - ram it down their throats....
    The defensive changes and tenacity I credit to Biglydick...

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I felt like we were going to run a lot of PnR this year and that's it, but we played all kinds of ball that attacked from all different angles. The ISO heavy offense was relatively new for me compared to last season, but where the ISO would occur, who would be doing it, when they abandoned it... none of that was predictable for me. (don't forget that Capela was on the ball at the start of the play for many many plays this year)

Hell, I bet you could go back to game you watched already and try to predict what was going to happen 10 seconds before it does and be wrong quite often. I think this was a ISO heavy team that did a lot of read and react. That's not a predictable offense to me, that's an offense that relies heavily on your playmakers though.

Last year, the Spurs knew exactly how we were going to attack them, but this year the Warriors didn't appear to have a clue. They mostly relied on refs and missed shots. They're a great defense, but they needed us to **** up, not the other way around. We were 4-3 with CP3 last year against the champs, we were 5-4 with Harden against the champs. Their best defense was our injuries. That doesn't sound like a predictable offense, it does sound like the style of play was evident because it was. It was a brilliant style of play.

AND... he'll probably have an even cooler offensive approach this year. I can't wait to watch us play!

7. kjayp

See I found most of our plays to be predictable - the excitement came in whether or not it was going to be successful...
    Harden is crouching while dribbling and facing the basket at the top of the key - he's usually driving... if the help d comes over, then he's gonna toss it up for Clint...
    If defense is collapsing on the drive - watch for Ariza standing alone in the corner - that's where the ball is going...
    We got the ball in transition and GG is on the court - he's firing that thing up...
    Things getting stagnant on offense with a few missed 3's in a row - CP3 midrange stop n pop coming...
    Harden gives the ball to Gordon and walks away with his back to him (not looking for the possibility of it coming right back to him) - this is a Gordon play... usually a drive in these instances...

I felt like a good percentage of the time I knew what was coming...
    thats not a knock... a well oiled machine should run like clockwork without surprises...

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I hope they study the back door GSW Offense a tad.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

MDA has been beaten the same way a few times now. Opponent coach creates a strategy mismatch which dares him to try something outside his comfort zone. So far, his response has always been to double down on exhausting his players and taking less open 3's.

Aside from that, he's an excellent coach who has done great for us most of the time. Once he reaches in and shocks his strategic opponent with his last trick, he will be in the tier of coaches he deserves to be.

kjayp, hakeem94 and rockets1995 like this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

When the season is on the line, 7 man rotation, exhausting players, not trusting anybody on the bench especially rookies.
    Chris Paul injury was because of no backup help. Morey is to blame on the Backup Point Guard Last Year.
    Morey did a great job drafting DeAnthony Melton, Sign Low Risk MCW, Trevon Duval I think is a gem he needs RGV seasoning. Backup Center is Zhou Qi if he proves himself more.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

It's a little disingenuous to blame the coach on the premise that you should change up and go outside your comfort zone in the conference finals against the greatest basketball team of the decade after you've played 90 games in the season. In my opinion our offensive design had nothing to do with our series loss against the Warriors, nor could our lack of depth be blamed on it.

The one thing I WILL blame D'Antoni for is ruining Luc Mbah A Moute's entire season (and therefore our playoff depth) by playing the regular rotation in a meaningless regular season game #82.

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Nah. The coaches who win it all know how to do it. Rudy did it with lesser odds. Phil did it. Kerr did it.

MDA mismanaged this team's minutes and when the opponent took away our top play he was not prepared to do anything else but to say "try it harder". When you are faced with a practical certainty - that the GSW will outplay the Paul-less Rockets - you don't just do what got you there. Because the vehicle that got you there no longer exists.

13. andersongo

andersongo Member

As an uncompromising stan of MDA, I 100% approve this article, even though it comes from the circlejerking hell hole that is realgm nowadays.

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Melo on here twice, along with the best rockets brawl of the year

D-rock likes this.
  15. Remlap

Remlap Member

After those years of McHale ISO ball and BJ Bickerstaff, I was ALL IN on D'Antoni.
    ESPECIALLY after just seeing training camp vids. I saw movement, screens and free flowing offense,
    NOT just someone dribbling the air out of the ball. I was excited and STILL am.
    Way to go Mikey. After the Kobe and Melo debacles in LA and NYC, I'm glad that his system
    has been proven legit. And also HE as a coach. Everyone said HE and his system were outdated

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Umm Kerr and Phil also have/had a plethora of talent on their team. They are good coaches, but this might be a serious case of crediting the winners more than they deserve.

clutchdabear likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't believe that. i think an average coach with the best talent in the league will not get the ring consistently. Kerr and Phil have weaknesses but they understand their own weaknesses, they understand how to motivate people of their generation of players and they are also excellent at making adjustments.

Rudy T - the example I included specifically to address this kind of point - did not have a plethora of talent. Rudy certainly had weaknesses in his coaching, but not in the area which comes to the fore in the highest pressure games.

MDA just shrinks in that situation. He is a creative guy and he will figure it out. Everyone eventually figures out how to develop their mind if they are buried enough times. That pain is what spurs growth. But thus far, MDA has not done it and it's a minor gripe. My only gripe with him really, and I think he'll overcome it now if he gets the opportunity again.

hakeem94 and HP3 like this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Hmm, fair, but I just wanna say Rudy T and....I guess Carlisle(gross) are the exception not the norm.

19. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

Unless you think D'A contributed to 0 - 27, then this makes no sense. If the Rockets hit 3 more shots (and the refs don't take away the Harden 4 point play) then the Rockets win and we're calling him a genius. There is nothing D'A did that caused the Rockets to miss 27 shots in a row.

HP3 likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Strategy and fatigue contributed heavily. It was clear the Warriors are not giving us the 3 and the players are exhausted more than other teams' players at this point in the playoffs.

0 for 27 is not your average bad night. It's certainly not the fault of a roster who are experts at making 3's and did it at an elite clip all season.

HP3 likes this.