1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[real history] Clyde Drexler trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, May 27, 2011.

?

Drexler trade

1. I knew the real story already

81 vote(s)
    87.1%
  2. I just learned about the real story

12 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They edited out the reporters questions, here is the full unedited text:

2. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

We already know the story, but instead of a new thread (sorry if already mentioned) why not an anniversary All-Star bump

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyde_Drexler#Houston_Rockets
    http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets...ckets-was-sweetest-ever-valentine-1651745.php

Clutch City feelings again
    :eek:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=233808
    [​IMG]

3. getsmartnow

getsmartnow Contributing Member

I'll never get tired of hearing/reading this story. Something to tell the grandkids one day.

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Still don't like that trade because we lost OT, maybe if they traded Max / Kenny / Horry but not Thorpe. Max was a lot more inconsistent and selfish after he got his ring, Kenny's ego was hurt because Cassell started to finish more games and openly showed his displeasure and Horry because he was almost traded the year prior and Clyde could play SF.

5. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Nah, Maxwell going off in Phoenix the year before was the birth. That shot was the teenage rebellion of Clutch City....

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What is really sad about this story is that it happened 18 years ago and we haven't been to the Championship or even WC Finals since.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

We went to the WCF a couple years later in Barkley's first season with us.

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We are building up to it... takes time... James Harden isn't yet in his prime and we are going to attract another superstar. Can't wait.

9. ashiin

ashiin Member

This. We have so much to look forward to... Harden is going to carry this team.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Someone out there thinks the Drexler trade has something in common with the Decision?

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you are correct sir. The birth of "Clutch City" occurred after the Rockets were down 0-2 in Phoenix in the 94 playoffs not the 95 playoffs, the Rockets were labeled "Choke City" after blowing huge leads against the Suns.

They used that motivation going into Phoenix. The Rockets were down in game 3 until Mad Max gave them like 35 points thus sparking Clutch City.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/millennium_index.html

12. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

This trade has significant meaning for me because it is how I became a Rockets fan. Don't know how or why but growing up in Michigan Drexler became my favorite player in the NBA when I was about 7 or 8 years old. I followed Drexler and Portland as best I could (kinda tough to follow a west coast team living in the midwest as a pre teen). Once Drexler was traded, I was still fairly young (12) and had not big enough connection with Portland so I followed Clyde to Houston. Quickly became an Olajuwon fan along with all the other guys on those mid to late 90's squads and had built a strong enough attachment to Houston that I remained a fan after Clyde and Hakeem and remain a fan to this day.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At the time I made this thread some people did.
    Then again, lots of people get Rockets history incorrect.
    How about 95? Michael Jordan was there when we won. we know that, but there's a lot of misinformation going around.

14. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Ahhhh wish I woulda been there. But I was way too young.

15. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I remember that I was at basketball practice when I found out the trade happened, and I cried about it. As a little kid, I got Otis Thorpe's autograph before a game, and I was devastated to hear he was traded. Don't get me wrong, I was happy they got Clyde, and the 1995 run was amazing.

16. langal

langal Contributing Member

who the hell is Clyde Drexler?

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

So you mean you were a COF? Bow down to the '99ers!

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

One of the major reasons the trigger was pulled was they were afraid Vernon was going to lose his damn mind and they'd be without an SG. lol. :)

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Isn't it great that our homer TV color commentator for this game, which game pisses off Blazers fans so much, is Clyde Drexler?

[​IMG]