1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Real Estate agent in Houston? (Looking for Recs)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TexasFight, Jul 27, 2010.

1. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

So I'm likely moving out of TX in one month to accept a new job, and thus I'll need to sell my townhouse near the Galleria ASAP.

I am looking for recommendations for a good real estate agent who could help me unload my property pretty quickly. Obviously I know it won't sell in a month, but the last time I put this place up on the market, it sat for a year without a single offer (not too pleased with my former real estate agent). The last thing I want is to pay rent in a new town and a mortgage in Houston.

Looking for someone that any of you have used and been very happy with. They would need to work with homes in the $175-$200K range. Looking to bring someone in this week to begin the process.

Thanks!

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why don't you hire a property manager and rent it for a year or two until the market improves? There are companies out there that specialize in dealing with out-of-town property owners.

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I looked into this for my situation and decided against it...I believe they take 10%-15% of rental income, they do a credit check, etc, but that's about it...all the costs are incurred by the home owner and if the tenant is a bad one and damages the place and/or doesn't pay rent, you're screwed, not the company...

I didn't want just anyone renting my place, so I have my cousin in it now...that way I can still use it when I come back in town...

btw, where are you moving to?

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good luck homie. This market has been a ****ing ***** for the last 4 months.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hey man, e-mail me through the board. I have a hardcore Rockets fan to hook you up with. Keep it in the family! :)

7. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

Ima - i remember you referencing this in a post in another thread a few weeks ago, and I kept that nugget of information in my mind. I currently have a 15-year mortgage with an escrow, so my monthly payment is REALLy high. I don't think I could recover monthly rent that would offset my monthly payment. I could always refinance the house to a 30-year loan note, but I'd rather just rid myself of the property. I am not a fan of the association and my neighbors. It would be an added perk to remove my neighbors from my life.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The one I use only charges 6%. Anything over 10 is WAY to high. I think the industry average is between 6% and 8%.

Of course all the costs are paid by the home owner. The house is still your asset so you still have all the risk. It's just the handling of everything you're paying them for, not the risk. But they do a credit check, background/criminal check, rental history check, and job history check on every prospective tenant before presenting him to me, so although it's always possible to get a deadbeat, the chances are much lower than if I were to find one myself.

Any repair over $200 they won't move forward with until getting my approval and I'm able to use my own contractor if I want to. Anything under $200 they don't bother me with. I have access to all paperwork on my house via their website with a login and password.

If you're in a different town or you just don't have the time or energy to handle being a full-time landlord, it's a pretty good service.

9. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I sent you an email through the board...