1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ravens close to a deal with Rolando McClain

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Sir Geving, Apr 10, 2013.

1. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Another typical Ozzie move. 23 years old, nutjob, but high potential. Cut, so it doesn't affect comps next year.
    Ravens are quietly building another strong defense. With the additions of Canty and Spears to the D-line. Dumervil to replace Kruger. Huff to replace Reed and now with McClain in the middle. My guess is that they will add another ilb through the draft, and another safety to replace Pollard. With Ngata, Suggs and Webb back healthy, there is no doubt in my mind that they will have a very solid defense next year, my guess is much better than last year.
    It will be hard to replace the leadership of Lewis and Reed though.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ando-mcclain-might-sign-with-baltimore-ravens

2. thegreekdbag

thegreekdbag Member

Not a fan of McClain or Spears. I also don't think much of Huff. But Newsome will do a good job in the draft to surround Ngata, Dumervil, Suggs, and Webb with more talent. This is a very strong safety class so I could see them targeting that position along with ILB. I also think they will target WR. Any idea what they will do on the oline? Switch Oher back to LT and draft an RT?

3. Sir Geving

They will definitely target a WR. Hopkins, Allen, Austin, Harper, Patton are all some of the receivers they have been linked too.

Ozzie said that they actually like what they have regarding the O-line. They are really high on Osemele. Options for LT are Oher, Osemele and Harewood. My guess is Oher on the left, Osemele or Reid at RT. But Osemele was a beast at LG, so I hope they keep him there. They are also still talking to McKinnie. So they may bring him back. I still say that they should go for a guy like Faulk in the later rounds and groom him for the future. Personally I would like them to trade up in the second and get Armstead, but I have heard nothing about them being interested in him..

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not sure McClain will do anything but yeah, the defense is looking nasty. Lots of playmakers when healthy. Their receiving options are crap, and Flacco needs good options to succeed.

5. Sir Geving

He's stout against the run. I read on some stats site that he's ranked as the 8th best run stopping ILB last year. Horrible against the pass though, so he's a 2 down linebacker at this point. But at 23 years old, he still has a lot of potential. And if there's one team that can untap that potential, I think it's the Ravens. They seem to have great evaluators and have figured out that position from a coaching and scheme perspective. See Bart Scott, Jameel McClain, Dannell Ellerbe etc. All undrafted free agents that shined. Now, we don't know if that was due to lining up to Ray Lewis or not. But we'll see.

I think he wanted to go to a class organization with strong ties to Alabama and run a similar defense as they do. And Ozzie and the Ravens do. I think he's highly motivated to turn things around. But his record off the field still leaves me nervous.

And yes, the receiving corps is quite porous. As Doss, who has been groomed as Boldins replacement has been quite disappointing in the few opportunities that he's gotten. He is also injured a lot. So jury is still out on him. You all know about Jacoby as a receiver. And the rest outside Torrey and Pitta is unknowns, but those two are solid. Dickson has not impressed me since he entered the league.

I heard that they have showed a lot of interest in Nuke Hopkins as a possible target in the first. And Chris Harper in the later rounds. I'm sure they will address it through the draft. I hope they double dip on WR's. One in the first or second round, and one in the fourth or fifth.

6. johnnybravo

johnnybravo Member

1 yr, $700k.

7. Sir Geving

Was just about to post that.
    If he stays out of trouble then the ravens have themselves steal. If he gets in trouble they can let him go with little to no cap hit. In Ozzie I trust. :grin:

8. Sir Geving

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

How stupid can one human being really be?

Unreal.

10. Sir Geving

I'm at a loss of words. Read an article/sob story where he claimed how he was going to turn his life around etc after signing with the Ravens. And now this.

Man.. some people...

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

What a waste.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This is why the Texans don't take chances on players with extended criminal histories. They are usually more trouble than they are worth, and more often than not, they flame out far before they've brought anything of value to the team. What a dumbass.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It cost the Ravens nothing. He didnt even go to camp.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He'll be back.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

A complete waste of time. He might be back, but where, when, and how long? ..no thanks

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Yep at some point

18. Sir Geving

A source tells Profootballtalk that retired ILB Rolando McClain "wants to focus solely on getting himself together before continuing his football career."
    In other words, McClain will be back in the NFL -- perhaps next season -- if he can keep himself out of trouble and take care of all of his legal issues. The Ravens have offered to be a resource for McClain, and they'll stash him on the reserve/retired list in order to have him under contract once/if he returns. The tough part for McClain is going to be the whole staying out of trouble thing.
    SOURCE: ProFootballTalk via Rotoworld.com

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Sadly another piss stain on Al Davis' death bed sheets.