1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate The Rockets Players - Mid Range Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

People talk about more MidRange
    Outside of Harden . . . Who do we want to take those midrange shots
    We complain about empty trips from missed threes . . . .the question is
    If these same players shot those shot from the midrange. . .would they hit them at a higher clip?

Does Tucker Hit equal or equivalent from the MidRange?
    House? Mac? Who would we want to take those shots?

Dream up you bestest offense
    The bestest motion cutting etc. . . .
    Who will be taking those midrange jumpers . . . outside Harden and maybe Russ?

Rocket River

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What’s this mid range you speak of

3. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

im dreaming of clint get into a mid-range shooting monster (like chris webber or rasheed wallace), omg, in that way, for one thing we would got a better ROI from him based on his salary, for another this team would been more unstoppable and formidable.

amaru likes this.
  4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Why should the Rockets emphasize shots that are harder to hit than shots in the lane, yet yield the same reward? Similarly, if the percentage for their midrange takes is near their 3pt takes, why not get the extra point?

I am willing to listen to arguments that show a mixed strategy of occasional midrange shots improves the percentage on either close range, or 3pt shots, enough that the midrange shot is more efficient.

But taking midrange shots, just because they are open, is the sort of thing the Rockets' coaches just broke Brodie from doing. Why encourage that?

Lawlruschang and DeBeards like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

amaru and Gray_Jay like this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

everyone is garbage except for Harden...it’s either not their game, or they’re not capable of making it at a good clip

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So many arguments I see here is that we need to take more Mid Range than we do now
    That it is the reason we not winning championships

So . . . Is it more MidRange or Nah?

Where are the MidRange Proponents?

Rocket River

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mid range is a Bose speaker
    It’s not there

9. TimDuncanDonaut

Doesn't have to be at a high clip. Not every shooter gets hot instantly. Even guys like KD.

Durant was asked when he went to GSW, his shot attempts went down because the need to share with Klay and Steph. 20-25 shots for ~30 pts per game to 30 pts with 12-15 shots.

KD: "It was an adjustment. I didn't realize how tough it was on night-to-night basis. (in the past) When I was 1 for 7 or 2 for 8, I can shoot myself out of the (slump) and get back to 12 for 20... but on this team (GSW), to (get to) where my rhythm feel good... it was taking me a little longer to get to that point. if i get four shots in the first quarter, I got make sure couple of those is the easiest four shots that I can get. Not a step back three my first shot or catch and shoot fadeaway my second shot. Let me get the easy ones first, then open my game up. Layups to the mid range, then if I'm feeling good... a three."

Our role players get fewer attempts obviously, but mix it up just a little. If Rivers/House/McLemore/Tuck/Thabo are cold at the perimeter, a mid range or basketball drive, then go back to the three. Russ/Harden can try to recognize, already this guys just hit one; on the next trip

If the guys do this, they have to get MDA's blessing ofcourse, so not get yanked off the court for 'bad shot selection'.

#9 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    D-rock and Lawlruschang like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No one can tell me PJ would shoot a better rate in Midrange than threes
    I cringe at his drives and layups

Mac Rivers and House drive better but their midrange is iffy.

Don't think I seen Clark, Harty, Clemons or Capela even try one

Rocket River

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  11. blackistan

blackistan Member

What is mid range? we only shoot 3s

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What nets more yards in a NFL game on average? A Patrick Mahommes pass or a running play by one of the Cheif's running backs?

A Mahommes pass of course. Ask yourself why they would ever run the ball if the data shows that a pass nets far more yards per possession than a running possession. The answer to that question is the same reason why sometimes taking mid range shots is important.

LosPollosHermanos and Gray_Jay like this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Last night, Watching Cp3 hit those back2 back midrange jumpers to close out the game had me feeling some type of way

14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I think you stopped reading before I wrote "mixed strategy." I wrote it for a reason.

But your comparison to football further proves my point. Take a look at the proportion of pass plays to run plays over the last 40 years, and you'll see pro teams leaving the run. Why do you think clowns like Jameis Winston are setting records held by the Favres and Elways of the world. When they do run these days, it's largely because the QB is threatening to (and DBs/LBs can't just run up and murder him, like they could 10-15 years ago, but that's a different complaint.) Teams run to set up the pass.

Accordingly, for basketball, somebody has to have data that shows Pt per possession rates go up with adding a portion of midrange shots to a strategy of dunks and 3s. I'd like to see it, and see where the maxima are when proportion of midrange shots is plotted next to PPP. I doubt it's as many as WB likes to shoot.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

How many possessions would you like to burn in order for the role players to be able to hit the shots they're paid to hit? It sounds like something that needs to be established in practice or in the pre-game shootaround, not using valuable possessions in the middle of the game.

Moreover, maybe the Dubs can wait through a 1-8 Durant start, if it meant they'd get an unstoppable Durant later, hitting 13-15 or the like. That doesn't describe either the usage or accuracy or unstoppability of our role players, or really anyone except James.

Rocket River likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

Probably up to the players (and maybe coach) to figure out. Take last night's game against Nets, sadly for us had trouble hitting the treys.

Three point attempts (3P%)
    House: 2 of 10 (20%). with 2 non 3pt attempts
    Tucker: 0 of 5 (0%). with 2 non 3pt attempts
    McLemore 1 of 6 (16.7%). with 1 non 3pt attempt

Austin was decent 4 of 9 (41%), 3 non 3pt attempts.

DNP: clark, clemons and thabo

League average 3P% this year is 35.5%, we should at least be there. If it's our identity, then ideally slightly above. Last night game's overall 3P% was 31% (13 of 42). That's skewed by Harden because he was en fuego and shot a whopping 60% (6 of 10) 3pt, which bought it up.

Our role players still has to TAKE their shots, they just have to find ways to make 'em.

#16 TimDuncanDonaut, Dec 29, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    Mathloom and Gray_Jay like this.
  17. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Gahhhh! Those are awful. What the hell happened to House and Mac?! I think Tucker's shooting issues are fatigue-related, but there's no excuse for those two stinking it up. All they're here for is to shoot, and if they can't do that...

I didn't watch the game. Were the looks wide-open? Or were they like 2016 Harden assist chances: 'Oh $hit. I've dribbled the clock down to 2. Better whip an off balance pass cross court to someone near the 3pt line so they can bail me out of this possession. And if they miss, I get to berate them as I walk the ball back upcourt after a poorly-defended, in transition opponent make at the other end. Win-win, really.'

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

2-16 from corner 3s
    Last night.

Rocket River

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Does the MidRange make it so the players are less tired in the 4th

Rocket River

D-rock likes this.
  20. TimDuncanDonaut

If it's the long minutes the starter's are enduring then sure more minutes can be dispensed to the bench guys.

On the jumpshot, sometimes you see a 3pt fall short at the front rim. It could be due to tired legs, where there's not enough lift. Closer to the basket may help and build confidence back up. Then move back to 3pt.

I don't think anyone is proposing replacing all 3ptr with mid range shots, but it's ok to mix it a little if they're cold or the opponent's perimeter D is subperb.

Let's say a role player gets 8 shots a night.

3 layup attempts
    1 mid range
    4 three pointers.

The layup or mid range can be take earlier to get them into rhythm.