1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the Rockets broadcast team among the other local broadcasts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BonziWellsGOAT, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Bill is cool, just too much of a homer.

Drexler isn't good. Should be replaced.

Bullard lacks personality, but brings knowledge. He's ok.

My somewhat educated guess says Rockets are bottom 10 in the league.

2. amak316

amak316 Member

Second to last, I think the only worse crew are the nuggets broadcasters my god those guys are awful.

3. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Steve Kerr isn't a local broadcaster and Ackerman is the radio guy.

4. spdngyns69

spdngyns69 Member

Love Bill but it's time he hangs them up. Personally, I'm ok with his thick southern accent but at this day and age where there's league pass and a national audience, it'd be nice to find someone like Joel Meyers. Bull's jokes are lame and Clyde is repetitive. Bring back Calvin as our color, he was awesome when I was watching the games living in Houston in the 90's.

5. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Awful. It's time for a change. Bullard is replaceable. The broadcast team is probably bottom 10 and that's being generous.

6. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

I think ours do great. Nothing is better than hearing "*Insert Player Here* WITH THE COLDBLOODED THREE"

7. BonziWellsGOAT

Wow alot more hate for the broadcast than I expected. I think theyre pretty damn good. Maybe Im just a homer too :)

8. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

Heard every broadcast team, they are at 24 out 29

Worst are

Lakers
    Celtics
    Spurs
    Denver
    Chicago

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I love our broadcast team. Miss Calvin a little though.

10. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I think Bill's actually a really good commentator. The problem is his back and forths with Matt and Clyde are awkward and sometimes not that interesting. The best solution would be to bring back Calvin. Him and Bill's dynamic was far more compelling and funny. Not to mention, Calvin wasn't a huge homer like Matt and Clyde.

11. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

I remember Matt was a finalist on ESPN's Dream Job a while back. I think he really brings up the broadcast. I like Bill too but he's not where he used to be. I love Clyde but only because he's so out of it at times. "That's what I call, making the shot." That's just so funny to me.

12. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

According to Clyde, the Wizards have enough talent to be a Top 5 team in the NBA. PERIOD.

lol

13. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

How dare you. Stu Lantz is the gold standard.

Haha I heard that too...

14. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I love em. Craig Ackerman and Joel Blank are really good too. I guess I'm a homer, but really, I wouldn't want anybody else calling my Rockets games on TV/Radio :p

15. jas0n

jas0n Member

You guys may not like our broadcast team now, but you will definitely miss them when you won't get to hear them for a while. I live in the Philippines and most games shown here are either nationally televised games or the other team's broadcast.

Every time I hear our guys, I just feel like I'm back in Houston. That's just me though...

And yeah, Calvin was so much better than Matt and Clyde.

16. forty4487

forty4487 Contributing Member

Portland and Memphis were pretty bad too

17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Sacramento has that old guy with the southern accent and he kinda ruins it (the other commentator isn't half bad).

18. MadMirror

MadMirror Member

Over the course of a season I end up watching many more non-Rockets games (100+) than Rockets games. I'm basing my ratings on how well they follow the action on the court and how solid their around-the-league chat is. This is just for the play-by-play announcers since I generally don't get to see the pregame, postgame, or halftime coverage. I'd probably put Houston somewhere towards the bad end of the spectrum since Clyde really drags things down for me, but I think there are definitely worse teams out there.

Good all-around broadcast teams:
    New York, New Jersey, Toronto

Surprisingly solid for bad teams, but can be boring:
    New Orleans, Sacramento, Washington

Bad:
    Golden State (might have just caught these guys on a bunch of bad days since others in the thread seem to like them but I've never been impressed), Utah, Phoenix

Bad but probably unfairly biased against as a Rocket fan:
    San Antonio, OKC

Bad but entertaining:
    Boston

The rest don't leave enough of an impression on me for me to rank them at the moment.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Rockets broadcast team is certainly close to a bottom 5.

They seem to know very little about basketball, very little about the Rockets players, very little about what the Rockets are trying to do. And then they serve up that tripe with a more than healthy dollop of homerism.

Highly highly annoying.

20. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

The Clippers team is pretty good calling the game.

But my goodness their level of homerism is on another level and it makes it hard to listen to regardless of how good they are