1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the Rockets broadcast team among the other local broadcasts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BonziWellsGOAT, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What's wrong with the New Orleans guys? I haven't watched them much.

I think Houston's guys are about average. Not among the very best or the very worst.

Guys that have irritated me include Denver's guys, Portland's guys and I think Phoenix (Eddie Johnson). Boston's Heinsohn is so over the top homer that I actually enjoy.

2. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Love Clyde. I actually wish he cared even less and was more of a homer/corny a la Austin Carr.

Overall, though, the broadcast isn't all that. I'd have to go through all the teams, but the Rockets broadcast certainly isn't in the upper half of the league.

3. BonziWellsGOAT

I meant to say...I misread your post lol I thought you were talking about the thread. It didnt even click that you were going down the line of the broadcast team. My bad.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

my favorite local broadcast group:

Golden State

by far the best IMO

then in no real order:
    Knicks
    Nets - though i dont know if the NY teams should count since they generally have national tv guys do their broadcasts

Kings
    Wolves
    Clippers (just Ralph Lawler not Michael Smith)

Generally what I have found is that most play by play guys are great its usually the color commentator that makes or breaks the broadcast - so to me the worst 3 teams are:

Celtics
    Spurs
    Bulls

5. BonziWellsGOAT

I watch the New Orleans guys when the Rockets play them because it comes on Fox Southwest so I can watch it on tv. The few times I've watched them all they do is talk sh** on the Rockets and I assume whatever other team they play. David Wesley seriously complained about every foul call on the Pelicans worse than a player would. I swear to you Anthony Davis got an offensive foul call because he used his off hand and smacked Terrence Jones in the face on a layup and David Wesley sat there and said there was no contact. The whole thing was a homer circle jerk. Sean Elliott/Tommy Heinson 2.0....maybe worse

6. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'll give you that- they had at least 25 nationally televised games this season including NBAtv, but then again so did the Rockets.

this was a Knicks team last year that got out of the first round for the first time since the early 2000's, you know they were going to build up that hype machine...

I would watch Breen, Walt Clyde Frazier and the MSG crew any day of the week over some of the other local homers. they are just a good broadcasting team.

7. BonziWellsGOAT

I know I said it in the OP but my god is the Pels broadcast complete garbage....couldnt agree more.

8. bmd

bmd Member

I was just going to say this. Some homer announcers put down the other team's players. And that isn't right in my opinion.

Bill, Bull, and Clyde don't do that. They'll give them props if they are playing well and they don't say anything negative.

Nothing wrong with being a homer for a local broadcast. They are supposed to be.

9. bmd

bmd Member

New Orleans announcers are boring.

10. BonziWellsGOAT

They also put down the other teams players....which like you, I feel is in poor taste.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

FWIW, Zach Lowe has watched/listened to pretty much every team's local broadcast crews and thinks that Houston's is among the worst in the league.

I'm not sure that I agree with that, but I also respect Lowe's opinions on such things.

While Worrell is getting a little long in the tooth, I still like what he brings. I especially like how he gets mad with the team at times when players make stupid plays. (Wish he'd stop it with that misleading "Number 1 draft pick" idiosyncrasy of his, though.)

Drexler . . . was a truly great player.

Bullard, when he's not making corny jokes, is actually an EXCELLENT color analyst. The "Bull's Eye" segments coming out of commercial breaks are routinely insightful and informative. He tends to be a bit homer-ish, but that's been getting better.

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I like them pretty good compared to many, not sure it's a big enough deal to rank them except to say that Nuggets and Pelicans are among the worst and hardest to watch of other teams ... teams.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Bill and Clyde are two of the worst in my opinion. Bull is good and should be kept.

We need some fresh blood, commentators who bring the right balance of basketball knowledge and enthusiasm to the table.

14. coffeelover665

They always bring up the past, every single game. And it's not like its new facts too but they bring it up, every, game.

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Craig Ackerman to the rescue

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

#TeamWorrell

I like Bull, but I would love Calvin Murphy back doing color with Bill. How long has it been?

17. dkocich87

dkocich87 Member

BRING BACK CALVIN MURPHY!

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think the Rockets guys are OK. Also, re: Calvin, people seem to forget that the Bill/Calvin duo was given lots of crap. I think Rome said they were easily the worst in the NBA.

I'm just so used to Bill calling the game that it would be an adjustment for me to have to hear anyone else consistently.

Drexler is bad, but what can you do. He's a Houston sports legend. We just have to deal with it.

Bullard is pretty good but brings up the same few talking points too often.

As for other teams, I only know that San Antonio is the worst. Boston is bad too. And one game Matt Harpring kept repeating that Dwight hates to play defense. That was bad.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I don't watch enough non-Rockets games anymore to have a strong opinion on this (though moving away from Houston I have become an internet streamer so I do get plenty of road games). Three teams that are far better than the Rockets - Warriors, Knicks (duh) and Nets. Three teams that are way worse to me - Spurs, Nuggets, and Blazers. Everyone else is more or less a big goulash of okay and I think the Rockets guys are at the slightly below average point of that.

Now, that's my objective opinion. My subjective one is that Clyde is my favorite player of all time so I don't care if he's kind of an idiot sometimes. And that Bill is the voice of my childhood so I don't care if he's an old homer. I don't have such sappy emotions towards Bull but he's fine and I kind of enjoy his occasional terrible puns.

Team would be better if Clyde was fired but I would be kind of sad about it.

20. BonziWellsGOAT

Im with you. It would be really odd hearing someone else besides Bill. Idk if thats because he's all we've ever known or because he is unique (which I think he is). I think it's a little of both.