1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate the last movie(s) you watched

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ClutchCityReturns, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Buck Turgidson

"Replicas", starring Keanu Reeves, as told by movie reviews:

Replicas was directed by television writer-producer Jeffrey Nachmanoff, who only has a couple other feature directing credits, and was written by Chad St. John, a screenwriter who sounds like a p*rn star and whose apparent Twitter bio (not verified) describes him as a “male exotic thinker.” He previously wrote Peppermint, in which Jennifer Garner fights MS-13.

Long story short, all signs pointed to Replicas being the kind of movie that’s almost better to have described to you by exasperated critics than actually seen, and thus a perfect candidate for Plot Recreated With Reviews. That’s when we try to piece together the entire plot of a movie using nothing but expository quotes from movie reviews (no analysis!).

I think it turned out pretty well! Here we go…

ACT 1

[​IMG]

Keanu Reeves, whose line deliveries have slowed to the point where he sounds like a record being played on the wrong speed [Detroit News]

stars as a neuroscientist, Will Foster [AV Club]

whose work is conducted at Bionyne, a biomedical research company in Puerto Rico. [Detroit News]

Foster is first seen waiting for a donated brain that is being brought to him via helicopter, cross-cutting between Reeves anxiously staring at his watch and the brain being rushed into the facility. During an operation to place this brain into a robot body, Dr. Foster is asked, “Do you concur?” by a colleague and Reeves cries, “I concur!” [TheWrap]

[Foster] is working on bringing the dead back to life by transferring their neural pathways into synthetic lifeforms — basically, downloading human brains into robot bodies.

He does this by standing around in a room with futuristic headgear on saying things like “boot the mapping service” to his trusty assistant, Ed (“Silicon Valley’s” Thomas Middleditch). [Detroit News]

A male corpse is wheeled into a laboratory. Foster announces to those assembled that the body is dead and that they’re about to transplant his brain into a robot. [THR]

After the procedure is completed, and just before Will can scream “It’s alive!,” the newly revived [THR]

understandably loses its cool when it sees metal hands and legs [RogerEbert.com]

and begins to tear at its own body. [THR]

Lots of yelling and ripping at metal ensues. [RogerEbert.com]

Nevertheless, Foster is encouraged. “This one spoke!” he cries optimistically before going home to his picture-perfect blonde wife Mona (Alice Eve) and their three rambunctious children. [TheWrap]

Her reaction is one for the books. “You can’t just keep bringing people back from the dead until you have this stuff worked out,” she points out, with less urgency than a wife reminding her husband to remember to put the toilet seat down. [THR]

Mona has been given one line of dialogue here about being a doctor, but she looks and behaves like a personal trainer. [TheWrap]

She’s worried that he’s losing his ability to tell right from wrong. Playing God does that to a scientist — makes him a Mad Scientist. He insists we’re all just “chemistry” and “neural pathways.” She’s talking about “the soul.” [RogersMovieNation]

Every line she speaks sounds hastily redubbed, and her re-emergence as a clone [spoiler alert!] betrays no additional unease. [The Verge]

Rest here: https://uproxx.com/hitfix/replicas-plot-recreated-with-reviews/

Vice was great. 7.236 out of 9

2. Buck Turgidson

Didn't want to start a thread for it, but this looks awesome. Sam Elliot is a national treasure.

3. Coco Afable

Coco Afable Member

A Star is Born 7/10

Suprisingly tragic ending, like the Nets @ Rockets 1/16/2019 game. wasn't expecting that.

Kruze10 likes this.
  4. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Yeah, definitely wasn't expecting that. Good movie.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Old Man and the Gun (8-10)

Robert Redford is a classic, just like the criminal he portrays.
    Gosh, I'm feeling old here. I remember when he and Sissy Spacek were actually young....LOL.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

(NETFLIX) FYRE: The Greatest Party That Never Happened. (8/10)

I don't even want to give this documentary a rating to be honest. It's just interesting to see the timeline of this absolute sh-t show. I was getting anxiety just watching the downward spiral as the weeks tick down to event time. I'm amazed how so many people enabled one ******* and how easily people are separated from their money for the clicks.

Kruze10 and GRENDEL like this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Occupation 3/10. This sucka had 5 star reviews on Netflix. Can't take these reviews serious anymore. Goofy movie about aliens attacking a rugby game.

8. Fantasma Negro

Ralph Breaks the Internet

I know that it's a kid movie and you're supposed to suspend logic but halfway through it I found myself asking "why the **** is this grown man so obsessed with this little girl?" It just made me uncomfortable, I know they were going for the father-daughter archetype but there just weren't enough parental moments to balance out the awkwardness, my kid was even meh on it and she picked the movie lol.

4/10

9. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Bohemian Rhapsody

8.5/10

Sure, it maybe glosses over some of grimier details of Freddie's lifestyle, but the heart and spirit of Queen shines throughout and that was always the magic of Queen in the first place. Rami Malek is, as usual - a dynamite actor. It was always going to be difficult to do this movie and please everyone, but in the end I found it delightful despite lacking some finer detail. I think they got the major things right.

mikol13 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. red

red Contributing Member

Glass 6/10. Ehhhhh is all I have for this movie. Enjoyed unbreakable and split was great for the performance of mcavoy.

IO on Netflix. 4/10. For me this movie has 0 rewatch ability.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

Ant-Man (2015) - 6.5

It didn't wow me, but I really enjoyed it. I really like that actress from Lost. I'm not too into Superhero movies, but I will be interested in checking out the second part.

12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just watched the new documentary about Bill Murray on Netflix. Because I'm a huge Bill Murray fan, it's hard to give this anything lower than a nine or a ten out of 10. But I really enjoyed it.

mikol13 likes this.
  13. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

We watched it this Sunday before the games as well. I thought it was really well done but like you said, it's like watching a slow moving train crash.....

The head guy just reeks of entitled douchebag, even after being indicted.....

DreamShook and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. Asian Sensation

I’m sure I’ll get flamed but whatever.....

Saturday Night Fever. 3/10

What did I just watch? Did I miss something? Based upon it being a ‘classic’ with moderately high ratings and numerous accolades I just dont understand how? There really was no plot or direction. I kept wondering where the story was going and waiting for that moment for something of significance to happen. Waited 2 hours for something to happen. Something finally happened... the movie ended.

15. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'd agree with your rating. I thought it was very well done. It really is an amazing story. A script couldn't have been better written if it was a fictional story...though if it was, there would've been a montage on how they pulled it off in the end.

DreamShook likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

A lot of these movies you have to watch at the time, Out of the context of their time they just aren't the same.

We watched National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation this year and my wife didn't laugh a single time. Hated it.

17. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

Bumble Bee
    4/10

It started off pretty good. Soundwave, Shockwave, Ravage, Optimus Prime, Star Scream all in familiar colors and design. It turned into 2 hours of Bumble Bee getting his ass kicked and a plot line that had very little interest to me. With that being said, I'm really hoping for a sequel to see more transformers of the classic design.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

sounds like it's time to upgrade.

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

We did, we watched Elf.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

She didn't laugh? It's hysterical! My own significant other isn't a fan of Die Hard, which I simply can't understand. It's just something we have to live with, I guess. I think Saturday Night Fever meant much more if you had watched Travolta's career unfold, starting with the TV series. Now suddenly there he was, larger than life and almost exploding with barely contained energy. I guess you had to be there at the time. I really liked it, and I wasn't into disco at all.

I went to a few disco clubs in the '70's with a good friend when she needed a guy to walk in with, dance a little, and have some drinks while she scouted out the available guys. I was a hippie, casually dressed, walking into a nightclub with this stunning chick on my arm, dressed to the nines. It was a trip, one that I really enjoyed. I'd sit at the bar with a drink and watch her go to work. Girl on the prowl. She danced on the Larry Kane Show on Saturdays. I wonder how she's doing.

Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody last night and loved it.

9/10