1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate my Fantasy Basketball Team (beginner)

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by OldfanofTmac, Oct 28, 2013.

1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

I'm a beginner fantasy player...rate my team.
    (ESPN)

Starters
    Tony Parker
    James Harden
    Luol Deng
    Chris Bosh
    Dwight Howard

G-Joe Johnson
    F-Andre Drummond

UTIL-Cody Zeller
    UTIL-Anthony Bennett
    UTIL-Eric Gordon

BE-Jarrett Jack
    BE-Andrea Bargnani
    BE-Otto Porter Jr

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

How many teams?

3. Shaud

Shaud Member

If you're doing categories you might struggle.

Drafting Dwight you have to surround him rebounders n shot blockers because you are pretty much guaranteed a loss at ft% because of Dwight alone.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Plus you have Drummond as well. You're gonna take another hit in your FT% cat.

Also I think you could have done better than Joe Johnson at your other guard position. Maybe a guy like Bradley Beal or to a lesser extent Kevin Martin.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I imagine that at least a few of us are interested in hearing inputs about the teams we drafted. Should we put all these questions in one thread or should folks make separate threads for this? Just wondering if there would be too many as to overwhelm the board.

Anyway, I'd love to hear thought on the two teams I drafted. H2H 12 team Yahoo $20 "Pro League" with the standard 9 categories (thought having a little $ on the line would tend to reduce the # of dead teams):

First Team, listed by round and pick number:

1. (2) LeBron James (Mia - SF,PF)
    2. (23) Dirk Nowitzki (Dal - PF)
    3. (26) Larry Sanders (Mil - PF,C)
    4. (47) Roy Hibbert (Ind - C)
    5. (50) Eric Bledsoe (Pho - PG,SG)
    6. (71) Gordon Hayward (Uta - SG,SF)
    7. (74) Jeremy Lin (Hou - PG)
    8. (95) Eric Gordon (NO - SG)
    9. (98) Jimmy Butler (Chi - SG,SF)
    10. (119) Jarrett Jack (Cle - PG,SG)
    11. (122) Omer Asik (Hou - C)
    12. (143) Ben McLemore (Sac - SG)
    13. (146) Maurice Harkless (Orl - SF)

2nd Team:

1. (3) James Harden (Hou - SG,SF)
    2. (22) Dirk Nowitzki (Dal - PF)
    3. (27) Tim Duncan (SA - PF,C)
    4. (46) David Lee (GS - PF,C)
    5. (51) Blake Griffin (LAC - PF)
    6. (70) Gordon Hayward (Uta - SG,SF)
    7. (75) George Hill (Ind - PG,SG)
    8. (94) Jimmy Butler (Chi - SG,SF)
    9. (99) Patrick Beverley (Hou - PG)
    10. (118) Vince Carter (Dal - SG,SF)
    11. (123) Shawn Marion (Dal - SF,PF)
    12. (142) Taj Gibson (Chi - PF,C)
    13. (147) Bismack Biyombo (Cha - C)

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

This is my first time playing Fantasy Basketball. What do you guys think of my team? Should I make any changes (from bench) or trades?

PG John Wall
    SG Monta Ellis
    SF LeBron James
    PF Tobias Harris
    C Dwight Howard
    G Kawhi Leonard
    F Chandler Parsons
    UTIL Gordon Hayward
    UTIL Reggie Jackson (drafted on accident; tried to get Lowry)
    UTIL Joe Johnson

Bench: Marcin Gortat, Patrick Beverley, Tiago Splitter

Did I draft alright? Kinda concerned since I've never drafted before.

7. Carl Herrera

What's your league setting? Is it 10 team, 12 team, Yahoo, ESPN, H2H or rotisserie, which categories count? Need these info to really evaluate.

8. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

btw, mine is H2H on ESPN, and it was a 12 team league. So, how'd i do?

9. vstexas09

This is 10 team, H2H, on ESPN.

10. vstexas09

The stats are FG%/FT%/3PM/REB/AST/STL/BLK/PTS

11. Carl Herrera

I would probably say the same thing people said about the OP's team. Not sure that it makes sense to have Dwight on a team that is mostly perimeter type guys rather than going heavy on rebounders and shot blockers.

12. thisiscaketown

The problem with your teams are that they aren't especially strong in any category and have at least one major flaw, for example, Team 1 lacks 3's and Team 2 lacks Blocks and Assists

These are my critiques for each pick for each team.

For team 1:

1. LeBron James is the consensus 1st or 2nd pick, so no problems here.

2. Dirk Nowitzki is pretty much the last decent 2nd rounder at the mid-20s ranking, so you did fine here.

3. Larry Sanders' value relies almost completely on his Blocks, so I wouldn't choose him this early. You should have chosen an all-rounder like Paul Millsap here that can contribute in every category.

4. Roy Hibbert is pretty overrated in fantasy basketball because he's good in Blocks. While David Lee gets way fewer Blocks, he's much more consistent, he gets more Assists, he has dual position eligibility, and he's on a team that focuses more on offense. I feel like you should have chosen Lee instead, if he was available.

5. Eric Bledsoe is a decent pick because of the dearth of good Point Guards, but his FG%, lack of 3's, and Turnovers are pretty big flaws. He reminds me a lot of Evan Turner, except with much better defensive stats.

6. Gordon Hayward is an excellent pick. He'll be the Jazz's main playmaker and can contribute pretty much everywhere from a fantasy aspect.

7. Jeremy Lin is the last of the decent fantasy Point Guards in the late-middle rankings. He should still play a major role on the Rockets as a 6th man, and his Assists should still be decent enough to give you Point Guard-level Assist production (5+). Others lower in the rankings have some major flaws, like inconsistent playing time (Greivis Vasquez, Isaiah Thomas), resting more during the season (Steve Nash), reduced role (Raymond Felton), etc.

8. Eric Gordon is a good pick, although risky due to his injury history. He doesn't seem to be affected negatively by playing alongside the ball-dominant Jrue Holiday, and he will probably play at a much higher level than his ADP.

9. Jimmy Butler's value definitely takes a hit with Derrick Rose and Luol Deng coming back, and he won't be the same offensive option he was last season. While currently out with a hamstring injury, Wilson Chandler would have been the better choice, if he was available, since he will have a much bigger role on the Nuggets and is a pretty good fantasy player that contributes in multiple categories.

10. Jarrett Jack is the 2nd-best late round Point Guard pickup behind Reggie Jackson. You did well picking him up, since he should play the same role on the Cavaliers as he did with the Warriors.

11. Omer Asik is a pretty good pick at that position, since most of the other Centers later on in the rankings are pretty bad fantasy-wise. I feel like you should have chosen DeAndre Jordan instead, though, as both him and Asik aren't good Free-Throw shooters, and Jordan is the more prolific Blocker.

12. Ben McLemore seems like he will struggle right out of the gate, and he will still have to compete with Marcus Thornton for the starting Shooting Guard position. I feel you should have chosen Reggie Jackson instead, since he should play a big role for the Thunder regardless of whether Russell Westbrook comes back.

13. It wasn't a bad idea to pick Maurice Harkless, since he'll get all the minutes he can handle. I just don't see him doing that well from a fantasy standpoint, since he doesn't shoot many 3's and is not a great Free-Throw shooter. He reminds me a lot of James Johnson.

Your picks overall weren't bad, but your 3rd and 4th picks are what might have prevented you from being "dominant" as opposed to just "good".

For team 2:

1. James Harden is the consensus 3rd or 4th pick, so no problems here.

2. Dirk Nowitzki was a good pick for the reasons I listed above.

3. Tim Duncan was picked too high. He may have drunk from the fountain of youth, but that won't make him play during the fantasy playoffs.

4. David Lee was a good pick, for the reasons I listed above.

5. Blake Griffin is a decent pick at that position, the Power Forwards below him are not even close to being 18/8 players with good Assists for their position.

6. Gordon Hayward was a good pick, for the reasons I listed above.

7. George Hill is the most frustrating Point Guard to own, simply because he doesn't get the Assists that a Point Guard usually does. With Paul George

8. Jimmy Butler wasn't a great value pick for the reasons I listed above.

9. Patrick Beverley is the equivalent of Mario Chalmers in fantasy basketball, and I don't like Chalmers in fantasy basketball. I'm not a fan of this pick.

10. Vince Carter will take a big hit with Monta Ellis playing for the Mavericks. Not a great pick.

11. Shawn Marion is "old faithful" as far as reliable fantasy players goes. Decent late-round pick.

12. Taj Gibson is in a situation similar to the one that Derrick Favors faced when he was behind Paul Millsap. While Gibson will put up good stats once in a while, he will be maddeningly inconsistent. I would have left him on the waiver wire.

13. Bismack Biyombo has very little value other than a waiver wire plug, as he's behind Al Jefferson, and he can't play Power Forward. Not a great pick.

You definitely could have done better with your late-round picks, as you missed a lot of potentially good players. I think you did better with Team 1.

13. Carl Herrera

Thanks for the input. I will definitely be watching waiver and trade possibilities. Some of the later picks are flyers so if they don't get minutes, I'll try to find others.

Just one thing about Biyombo: He's actually looked good in preseason but they have injury problems that got him extra minutes. We'll see if this keeps up, but like I said, I'm happy to drop these guys for free agents if they look like they are losing the minutes battle.

14. thisiscaketown

Definitely look hard at Vitor Faverani and James Anderson. These are 2 guys that will probably get all the minutes they can handle.

15. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Ok, I mentioned i'm a beginner, so i don't have any idea what you're talking about. I thought you just picked the best players available? Again, i'm a beginner, and i read through the rules a while ago, but i must've forgot. why doesn't it make sense to have dwight when he's the best center?

16. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

i think i have been the luckiest in getting this team. its an espn auction Roto

pg: Rose
    Sg: Harden
    SF: Parsons
    PF: Sanders
    C: Hibbert

G: Lillard
    F: Deng

UTL: Pau Gasol
    UTL: McGee
    UTL: Hayward

Bench: Faried
    Bench: Eric Gordon
    Bench: Lin

aint nobody topping that team

17. thisiscaketown

Head-to-head fantasy basketball is about trying to win as many categories as you can against your opponent during your matchup. Dwight Howard may be the best Center in real life, but he has a huge flaw in fantasy basketball, which is his Free-Throw Percentage. His Free-Throw Percentage isn't very good, and on top of that, he shoots a lot of them, which can greatly impact your Free-Throw Percentage category for the week. For example, if on one day, all your players except Dwight Howard make a combined 18 FT/20 FTA and Dwight Howard shoots 5 FT/10 FTA in one game, you basically go from 90% to 76%, which will really kill you if your opponent's team shot a combined 80%. You basically forfeit the Free-Throw Percentage category, giving your opponent an advantage over you.

In attempt to circumvent Howard's poor Free-Throw shooting, some people will try to "punt", or disregard, the Free-Throw Percentage category by obtaining players with bad Free-Throw Percentages but elite Steals, Blocks, Rebounds, etc. like Rajon Rondo and Blake Griffin. In this way, they attempt to win their matchup by focusing on other categories, but giving up Free-Throw Percentage.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

Nothing wrong with drafting Dwight just long as you go into it punting ft's. Don't try to balance all categories or u will end up losing. You have to punt a category or 2. Takes 5 to in a matchup make sure you are strong in at least 5 categories.

19. hhh345

hhh345 Member

this is the first time playing Fantasy basketball. Is my team well balanced or should i make any changes?

Pg Ty Lawson
    Sg Bradley Beal
    Sf Thaddeus Young
    Pf Dirk Nowitzki
    C Dwight Howard
    G Tony Parker
    F Lamarcus Aldridge
    Util Demarcus Cousins
    Util Tim Duncan
    Util Danny Green

Bench Kenneth Faried
    Danny Granger
    Ben McLemore
    Patrick Beverley
    Nene

It is a 10 team, h2h, stats are FG%,FT%,3PM,TP%,REB,AST.STL,BLK,PTS

20. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

thanks for the explanation. would anthony davis be a better fit for fantasy basketball than dwight?

and also, if i understood you correctly - in my match up with the opponent, the one whose team did better in each category ends up winning the match, correct? which categories are included, is it every single category? i'm pretty confused, is there a fantasy basketball 101 or something i can read online?