1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rashard a Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, May 9, 2000.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Do you think Rashard still wants to play in his hometown. He was quoted in a Seattle newspaper article as saying that he has no loyalty to Seattle and that he would go for the big bucks if they were offered to him. The article also said that only Chicago, LA Clippers, and Orlando have enough money to sign him outright where Seattle could not match the offer, because Seattle can match any offer up to $3.9 million. Could Rashard force Seattle to trade him to Houston and if he could what would we give up for him? The link to the article is: www.seattletimes.com/sports/sonics/html98/ssid09_20000509.html

------------------

[This message has been edited by countingcrow (edited May 09, 2000).]

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He could try, but it'd be like demanding a trade....Seattle could keep him where he is even if he wants to become a Rocket.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

3. 3pointer

3pointer Member

NIKEstrad : but why would your team want to keep a disgruntled player ? specially one w/that much potential ? if he (Rashad) really was set on his ways and basically told them my way or no way then I think they might not have a choice.. mh

------------------
    What now ?

4. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

If he wants out of Seattle, I'm not sure he does, he grow up watching the Rockets with Rudy, CD, Les so he knows that now is the time they have a need for someone with his talents. But he also knows that they fill their needs when they occur. The team is young, learning and growing and if he wants to come play close to home - now is the time because the door will close quickly. He also knows that if the Rockets have no need at the time[future] they won't take you.

------------------

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

zzzzzzz...grhggthp...zzzzzzzzz...wha'...uh

What! damn, I thought this was a real trade. Wake me when a trade happens.

zzzzzzzzzzzz

6. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think hp may be sleeping awhile

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

7. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

As noted by countingcrow, there are only a handful of teams with significant cap space available. If the first tier free agents (Duncan, Hill, etc) resign with their current teams, then interest will shift to the second tier free agents such as Cat, Rashard, etc.

Rashard with the Rockets? Very doubtful.

There has been speculation that Duncan and Hill could sign short-term deals with their currrent teams. If so, Seattle and Houston would have to be concerned about losing their treasured free agents.

Mango

------------------
    Arch Stanton lives!

Donate Blood!

8. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Finally, Stone Cold Hakeem has come back to Clutch City!

Mental Note: Never quote a wrestler again

I think Rashard is an intriguing prospect. I'm not convinced the Rockets are going to be able to haul in a first-tier free agent and I definetly don't see Grant in a Rockets uniform....I think an investment Lewis could be worth the while.

I, however, would much rather have Ruben Patterson.

Or Shaq.

BTW, HeyPartner, you are one funny S.O.B

------------------

9. Axeman

Axeman Member

The Rockets blew their chance at Lewis when they forgot to pick him on draft day...

I'm sure Rudy and CD are kicking themselves for that one about now (of course, hindsight is 20/20).

------------------

10. Jovi

Jovi Member

I also believe hat it was a huge mistake not to select Lewis.

You can imagine what the situation in the chatroom was like.

THe Rockets were not loyal to Rashard. If I were him, I would make them pay for their mistake rather than signing with them. I could never look into Rudy´s and CD´s eyes...

------------------
    What do you expect from someone who beats up his fiancee?

11. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Hey now, what did the Rockets not picking Rashard Lewis have to do with loyalty? It seemed to me that Rudy and CD were continuing with a long tradition of drafting older, more established college players. I can't remember the last time Rudy nabbed a Freshman, much less someone fresh outta high school.

Whether or not bypassing Lewis was wise or not is moot. The fact that Rudy has a second chance may be all that matters.

------------------

12. haven

haven Member

Stone Cold: They pretty much assured the kid they were going to draft him. In other words, they LIED to him.

------------------

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Stone Cold Hakeem...i've always loved that moniker...makes me laugh just reading it.

I'm curious though. Anyone else think its just coincidence SCH conveniently returns the day after we are guessing bi-uids.

hmmmmmm....

14. Puff

Puff Member

I just don't think there is room for Rashard. He would be a nice pickup, but where is he going to play? I know he can play a number of positions, but the Rockets like their backcourt. They really don't need him right now. He has blossomed into a better player than I expected, but I like what we have now. Now if the Sonics would be interested in Walt, maybe something could be done, but I think we need a vet like Walt. Bottom line is, I think we retool through the draft, and hope to get a free agent next summer. But as Les & Co have proven, every year, and I mean every year they make a big move.

------------------
    A Chuck paraphrase:

It was surreal! And I don't even know what that means!

Charles after Eddie hit THE SHOT

15. TraJ

TraJ Member

If the Rockets told Rashard that they were going to sign him and didn't, I don't much care for that. But I can see why they didn't want to take him --- under the circumstances. Don't get me wrong, they blew the Turkcan (sp?) pick. I liked the Dickerson pick. And the Drew pick was okay. Let's face it, if we hadn't picked up Francis, Drew has shown that he can do a decent job as a starter. But the Rockets were still looking at winning a championship at that point. What was a high school kid going to contribute? And perhaps the Rockets also knew they were about to pick up Pippen at that point. Where was Rashard's playing time going to come from? (I know, where was Mirsad's playing time going to come from? Good point.) Yes, the Rockets blew it --- in a sense. But can anyone answer this: Would we have had to trade Rashard away in order to make room for the Pippen deal? Is that what we did with Mirsad?

------------------

16. davo

davo Contributing Member

I don't see us getting Lewis unless he REALLY wants to come home to Houston. The scenarios of us obtaining him are:

a) Sign him as a Free Agent
    Not likely as we could only offer the Mid Level exception, which is only $2.25mil in 2000/2001, or the $1mil exception. Lewis would lose his Bird rights if he signs as a FA, so not only will he get a lousy salary but no potential for a raise the next year.

b) Sign & Trade with Seattle
    Much more probable, since Lewis keeps his Bird rights and can sign an Early Bird contract with Seattle of $4mil. However, Lewis stated in the article that he would go for the big bucks if they were offered so this is unlikely too.

I think he will be hot property this summer!

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

17. Jovi

Jovi Member

This might be a bit far-fetched, but this is my take:

Clutch usually refers to the Rockets as the "classiest organization" in professional sports. That, imho, can´t be true. Just look at the Lewis incident.

They might have shown loyality towards Hakeem, and this is not a question of whether being loyal helps to improve your team (of course, it doesn´t), but just ask Eddie Johnson and Rashard Lewis about loyality.

Taking those incidents into consideration, the Rockets can not be the classiest organization, not even in the NBA. I have a problem with all the lies going on in the world of professional sports, but what happened to Lewis was particularly shameful. Haven is right when saying that the Rockets lied at him...and what happened to EJ? Rudy did not even grant him a nice farewell. Eddie really should have deserved better..

This, imho, does not really make the Rockets classy...

------------------
    What do you expect from someone who beats up his fiancee?

18. Jared Nomak

Jared Nomak Member

First of all, is the NBA not a business? It is up to the owner and his staff to put the best product on the court. It is the ugly truth, but like I said it is the truth. Lets go back in time to the 1998 NBA Draft. With the 14th pick the Rockets chose Michael Dickerson, with the 16th pick the Rockets chose Bryce Drew, and with the 18th pick they chose Mirscad Turckan. The reason why the Rockets did not pick Rashard Lewis is because they felt at the time the three players they chose were better. All three of them had a better workout than Lewis did. And since when does an NBA team promise a player that they will be picked?

If the Rockets had the #1 Pick this year and promise Kenyon Martin that they will pick him, and suddenly Stromile Swift decides to declare, are the Rockets going to make good on their promise, or are they going to take Swift, whom they covet more.

If Rashard Lewis was a bust, then everyone who said the Rockets made a huge mistake would be saying,"Whew! Good thing we didn't pick that Rashard Lewis".

For all we know if the Rockets would've picked Rashard, what makes people think that Vancouver would not have wanted him in the Steve Francis deal.

Please stop living in the past, if we get Rashard we get him, if we don't, then we don't. Either way this Rockets team as a bright future ahead of them.

------------------

19. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Who ever said that the Rockets made any promises to Rashard?

Do any of you guys making this claim have any proof?

What I heard was that the Rockets spoke highly of him and his try-outs, but I never read or heard where Rudy promised that he would draft Lewis.

I also read that at the time Lewis was not what we needed. Keep in mind that when that draft took place we were still counting on Dream/Barkley/Pippen. We didn't need a project. We needed instant contributors.

It wasn't until December that Rudy was forced to rebuild.

Lewis' emotional outburst at the Draft was indeed proof that mentally he wasn't instantly ready to be an effective NBA starter.

Now everything is different. We are now in rebulding mode and our offense is based on speed, penetration and youth. Lewis fits in all of those categories, plus he's proving that mentally he can handle the pressures of the game. He's showing that he's cool under pressure.

Good for him.

As it turn out, he landed on a team that was willing to wait a year or so for him to develop. Now he controls his own destiny.

------------------
    RocketFuel is taking the summer off!

20. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

I'm kind of missing the point about Eddie. So what if he didn't get a final game. I liked him as a player and a person but I hardly think that he holds a special place in Rocket fans hearts. I think that the class of this organiztion is shown by the fact that the organiztion never speaks bad of players. Sure some players might get their feelings hurt but they realize that it's a business and most feel good about their stints in H-town. Most players have an annoying habit of bringing up loyalty when in fact very few have ever shown any.

------------------