1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rashard a future Rocket?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 9, 2000.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I hope so, he scored 30 tonight against the Mavs. Is he a FA after this year? If so, I would try to get him.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/2000/20000209/recap/seadal.html

I sure wish we would have taken him instead of Turkcan.

I think he went in round 2 and is a FA this year? Can someone confirm this for me?

Thanks,

DaDakota

2. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Dakota Rashard is a free agent this summer and he was drafted in the second round (first I think). I would love to have the kid, but he was devastated when we didn't draft him three times and may be pissed at Rudy and co.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I know for a fact that he did go in round 2 with I think the 30th pick. He is a free agent this offseason. I hope we can get him, but how much do you think he can command? Certainly he has talent, but is also unproven. I'd go for him, because he has a ton of talent. However, you have to ask yourself one thing. Why would Rashard do this? Rashard essentially hates the Rockets organization for passing on him three times when supposedly they told him they'd pick him. He was crying on draft night because of that, and told the media about how he was going to tear up the Rockets in his career. Do you really think he'd come back? I know money talks, but still, do you think he'd come?

4. alaskansnowman

I seriously doubt seattle is gonna let rashard slip away. they're not stupid. they know what kind of potential he has.

5. alaskansnowman

By the way, Rashard might be pissed at the Rockets, but I'll give you a good reason he just might wanna come here.

HE GREW UP HERE. HIS FAMILY LIVES HERE. If he doesn't want to come because he is mad at the rockets, than this kid is too immature to get in the 1st place.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is his contract like Cuttino's. As in, do they have a right of first refusal like the Rockets do with Cat?

To answer you question, yes, I think Rashard would come back, it may take the Rockets paying the long Dollar, but I would do it.

If we have the 4.5 million that we have to pay a FA. I would take all of it and give it to Lewis.

Money talks, and this kid could be something teamed with Francis.

DaDakota

7. Steve Phrancis

(Sniff, Sniff) I'll show them..

Anyone recall this?

8. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Steve Phrancis,
    Clever. I might be off a beat here, but I think I get the gist of your remark. What's your take on Rashard anyway?

9. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

DaDakota made a good point, Seattle has the right of first refusal on Lewis. I don't see him going anywhere.

10. Steve Phrancis

Pass 1st, shoot 2nd,
    He is a big 3 as far as height. He is fast and has pretty good ability as well as a pretty good defender. He will only get better, he is still very young and Seattle has given him some PT, what every player needs to grow.

But our biggest problem is at the Power Forward since we lost Barkley. If I was GM, I wouldn't look at Grant Hill, sorry if that freaks some of you out. I would however look at Brian Grant and do what we could to get him here. With him in our line up I think we move to one of top 4 teams in the west, if we keep most of our team intact. I would keep Carlos/TMass(may stay forever on IR)/Wiz (Unless his contract was up)/Mobes/Francis/Anderson/Unload Drew(maybe a future draft pick and not one of those big white guys!) for Moochie/Dump Bullard like it is trash pickup day.

11. Old School

Old School Member

What good is that going to do when the team is playing in Baltimore?? I wish we would have drafted him in the first place.

Old School

------------------
    Just Build It!

12. Steve Phrancis

OldSkewl,
    I really prefer Turkan to Lewis. Turkan has really been playing good for us of late.

13. KrisG

KrisG Member

I asked a writer with the Seattle Times about Rashard's contract and he told me Rashard is a free agent this summer. However, Rashard has told him he wants to stay in Seattle ("because they drafted me"). The Sonics hold Rashard's "Bird rights"; so, a team would really have to make a great offer for him to leave.

Also, despite Rashard's family being in Houston, I'm pretty sure his mom holds some sort of grudge with the Rockets for not drafting Rashard when they had the chance.

------------------
    Kris Gardner,
    The Houston Roundball Review
    www.DoTheReview.com

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Lewis is staying in Seattle. Plus, do ya really think Seattle wants to help Rudy and co.?

15. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Im so happy Rashard is doing good. This kid can play. I have seen a couple of his high school games. I am really close friends with his older brother and I have talked to Rashard a couple times. From what he told me last year when the sonics came here to houston. He said that he would love to come to houston if they offered him a nice deal. He said after the draft that he will show the rockets what kind of mistake they made.

If we can offer him nice money .. then he will sign.

He is a nice kid and works really hard to get better.

16. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

There is no doubting the kid's talent!

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Its hard to get excited about Lewis' numbers:

15.3 MPG
    6.1 PPG
    3.4 RPG
    0.5 APG

These numbers will not bring any great FA offers for Lewis, so Seattle should be able to keep him for minimum $$$.

Seattle is supposed to be high on his potential. I wonder what type of offer that they will Lewis this summer.

18. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How good Rashard Lewis is a huge crapshoot. But I'm sure if Houston made him the right offer, he'll take it. Heck Houston passed on Clyde in 83, he didn't seem to upset to come back.

19. KrisG

KrisG Member

Unless the reports are wrong, Seattle signed Rashard to a 3 year contract last season. I don't know if it contains an opt out clause after this season; but, I can't see the Sonics letting him go. They love him.