1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Raptors hire Masai Ujiri

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 31, 2013.

1. FFz

FFz Member

Prob less than the money that would have been lost to US taxes.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I realize Hinkie was signed by the Sizers. I was giving an example of the type of hire I would make. Roll the dice and go with a lesser known hoping to hit a home run. Recycling someone who did an above average job seems like the wrong approach to me.

Not sure what your argument is. Ujirir made decisions (such as trading Nene or Mello). You want to cut him slack for making a decision? I am confused.

#22 tallanvor, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: May 31, 2013
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

Ujiri has quite the task in getting Raptors back to their championship days.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm saying this,he got the best value and have the 4th or 5th best record since trading a top 10 player in the nba. Hornets trade cp3 and lebron walks and those teams have been garbage. He's done a great job given he was basically forced to trade carmello to either nj or ny. Yeah, they lost to gsw,they also were minus their best scorer in gallinari too. He also had the gall to dunp nene and his declining game months after signing him. I'm willing to say, bargiani will be gone very,very quickly. Ujiriri has shown to be a top flight decision maker early in his career.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Interesting. How do you "recycle" somebody that hasn't failed or been fired yet? How is hiring Ujiri not "going for a home run"? His GM career so far is clearly on an upward trajectory.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Maybe we're talking to a brick wall. I'm surprised denver let his contract expire. They got caught slippin on that one and its gonna hurt.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Coleangelo used to hold respect from his tenure with the Suns.

He's either going through a terrible streak or the Raptor's business side has has too much say.

Jordan's agent blamed the Wiz business side for drafting Kwame for "marketing" purposes. So I assume some franchises are run like that.

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Canadian taxes are around 50% if I recall correctly. Brutal. So he is netting $1.5m a year. But, before t hat he was apparently the lowest paid gm at $500k per year. He had to take the job. Good hire by Toronto. Coangelo was crap there and should have been fired a long time ago. Glad ujiri is gone from the west.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Why would Denver let the Executive of the Year just walk away? Strange.

10. opticon

opticon Member

He must of had an opt out clause of some kind or he was simply at the end of his contract and did want a extension.

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They made him a counter offer of $1.2 million a year. He was at the end of his contract. That's why you do extensions

12. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I wonder if he would trade Bargnani and another piece like Landry Fields to NY for Amare. As untradeable as Stat is said to be, I don't think even the Knicks would take Bargnani off their hands.

13. Shaud

Shaud Member

Neither has Morey does that mean he's not very good?

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lol he's been a GM for less than 3 years and you already expect a championship.

15. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/masai_ujiri.htm

Some of his work starting with the most recent (bolded the items I thought were great moves):

1. Traded guard Arron Afflalo, forward Al Harrington and the lower of its 2014 first-round picks to the Orlando Magic for Andre Iguodala from the Philadelphia 76ers.

2. Signed Anthony Randolph to multi year deal.

3. Re-Signed JaVale McGee to multi year deal.

4. Traded center Nenê to the Washington Wizards for forward Ronny Turiaf and center JaVale McGee.

5. Signed forward Danilo Gallinari and center Kosta Koufos to contract extensions.

6. Re-signed guard Arron Afflalo.

7. Re-signed center Nenê, signed forward DeMarre Carroll and traded a 2016 second-round pick to the Dallas Mavericks for guard Rudy Fernandez and forward Corey Brewer.

8. Selected forward Kenneth Faried (22nd overall pick).

9. Traded guard Raymond Felton to the Portland Trail Blazers for guard Andre Miller and a future second-round pick and the draft rights to forward Jordan Hamilton from the Dallas Mavericks; traded a future second-round pick to the Los Angeles Lakers for the draft rights to forward Chukwudiebere Maduabum.

10. Signed forward Carmelo Anthony to a contract extension and traded him along with guards Chauncey Billups and Anthony Carter, forward Renaldo Balkman and center Shelden Williams to the New York Knicks for guard Raymond Felton, forwards Danilo Gallinari and Wilson Chandler, center Timofey Mozgov, a future first-round pick, two future second-round picks, the right to exchange 2016 first-round picks and cash and center Kosta Koufos and a second-round pick from the Minnesota Timberwolves, who traded forward Corey Brewer to the New York Knicks for forward Anthony Randolph, center Eddy Curry and cash.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>First order of biz for new Raps GM Masai Ujiri: Word is he'll shop Andrea Bargnani everywhere he can in hopes of moving him before July 1</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/340860326062989312">June 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

One of the most well rounded GM's out there if you think about it.

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Teach Toronto some hops!

19. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Ditto for Daryl Morey, so what makes him a good GM?

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Had I realized that Ujiri had obtained the draft rights to Chukwudiebere Maduabum I wouldn't have been so critical of him winning Executive of the Year award.