1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rape focuses critical attention on 'sanctuary' states

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Mar 21, 2017.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Well the majority of undocumented immigrants are likely poor and there for likely would have a higher crime rate then the average citizen, compare them to citizens in the same economic hardships and the stats would likely be similar.

That being said this is a very sad news story and should be treated with respect.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Nice post Juan Valdez.

I believe that an unaccompanied near-adult/teenage, who is caught and identified as having recently crossed the border should be deported in as quick and an efficient manner as possible. And that pretty much should be the end of the story. I think defining the exact age of when that should be applicable is difficult, as is always the case when specifying ages into law.

Furthermore, if the above doesn't happen I absolutely do not think said person should be allowed to attend public school as he avoids his hearing. What good does it do to put an 18 year old man into high school, who can't speak any English and is likely to be deported? I don't see how this is helping anyone.

So yes, all I would like to understand is what in our laws, bureaucracy, and local policies allow the above to happen, and fix it.

3. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This is a guess, but maybe texas released him with the hearing pending and he chose to go to the sanctuary city to see what it could offer him.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think anyone who is caught and identified as having recently crossed the border illegally should be deported as quickly and efficiently as possible, regardless of their age. Of course, while maintaining due process and respecting their civil rights. Yes, young men are at the top of their crime curves and are more likely to offend. But if that was the governing principle I'd be deporting a lot of citizens too. I don't think it's inappropriate though to allow them into school while they're here. It is very important for people's long-term success (here or in their home countries) to get their high school education. And, especially while we operate a broken system that may take a couple of years to process a case, holding them out would create irreparable damage to their ability to be good workers and citizens, and we ourselves would be the worse for it in the long run. Some of them will commit crimes, just as citizens do, but unless I'm shown that being from Latin America or having illegal status is making them materially more likely to offend, I don't see the basis for harboring suspicion against them.

5. DCkid

I don't think this 18 year old illegal alien man who recently crossed the border should have been allowed to attend high school in the United States. What allowed it to happen? Was it federal policy? State policy in Texas? State policy in Maryland? Local policy in Montgomery County? Why did he go to Maryland? Was he staying with relatives? Parents? I honestly don't even know for sure that Sanctuary City policy even came into play. Same thing could have happened in Midland, Texas for all I know. So, I really don't care about that angle, unless something shows that Montgomery County's policy is uniquely stupid or lax with accepting 17/18 year old illegal aliens into high school

Also, I'm surprised so many people are against learning about something through a case study. You must have hated the I'm Just a Bill song from schoolhouse rock! What good does following what a single, anecdotal bill has to go through to get passed really show about our legislative process!!! :)

#45 DCkid, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think there are. NYT has a recent article on it. They show immigrants commit less crimes than non-immigrants. At min, they do not show that undocumented commit crimes at a higher rate.

But doesn't matter because stats don't matter.

7. DCkid

Maybe I'm more pessimistic than you. I do not see much reward in putting a 17/18 year old who can't speak English into a US high school. I'm sure that person may get some benefit in some cases. Overall, I think the risk and resources don't really justify it. If we're talking about a younger child, then it's a totally different story.

8. DCkid

I think to get anything meaningful from this data in this case, we'd have to limit the stats to male minors illegally coming in from Mexico, Central/South America. Maybe even factor in whether they're unaccompanied or not.

Of course a full family with young kids coming over and are assimilated at a young age will probably be a lot less likely to commit crimes when adjusted for poverty level, and I don't find that too hard to believe at all.

9. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

For those devoid of significant actual experience with undocumented immigrants your statement seems to have some logic to it.

Again fwiw the facts.

Contrary to Trump's Claims, Immigrants Are Less Likely to Commit ...
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/us/trump-illegal-immigrants-crime.html
    Jan 26, 2017 - But Mr. Nowrasteh said he had analyzed the available figures and concluded that undocumented immigrants had crime rates somewhat higher ...
    How big a problem is crime committed by immigrants? - CBS News
    www.cbsnews.com/.../illegal-immigrants-and-crime-how-big-a-problem-is-crime-com...
    Jan 27, 2017 - President Trump wants to create a list of crime committed by "aliens," but some studies show immigrants commit crime at lower rates than native-born citizens. ... this data from the nation's more than 15,000 law enforcement agencies, ... According to the analysis, these likely undocumented immigrants had ...

10. TheresTheDagger

Here's some more "statistics" ...not anecdotes. Right in Texas.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/administration/crime_records/pages/txCriminalAlienStatistics.htm

According to DHS status indicators, over 215,000 criminal aliens have been booked into local Texas jails between June 1, 2011 and February 28, 2017. During their criminal careers, these criminal aliens were charged with more than 566,000 criminal offenses. Those arrests include 1,162 homicide charges; 68,151 assault charges; 16,678 burglary charges; 68,102 drug charges; 687 kidnapping charges; 40,465 theft charges; 44,626 obstructing police charges; 3,768 robbery charges; 6,098 sexual assault charges; and 8,596 weapons charges. Of the total criminal aliens arrested in that timeframe, over 143,000 or 66% were identified by DHS status as being in the US illegally at the time of their last arrest.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What does that have to do with sanctuary cities?

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

14. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Can't get justice in California

15. fchowd0311

16. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

A gun that was obtained illegally was used to kill someone. Even if it was by accident this is at least manslaughter in 49 other states.

17. fchowd0311

I agree this should be manslaughter. What did the prosecutors charge him with?

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Manslaughter was an option for the jurors.

19. fchowd0311

Then the jurors were wrong.

I doing the jurors thought "oh poor illegal immigrant being disparged by the right wing media, let's acquit".
    It seemed pretty obvious he was responsible.

What was the reason for the acquittal?

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Mainly the jurors used this as a political statement in my opinion.