1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random thing, but 1970s Rockets footage lost forever?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbandit, Sep 2, 2012.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

One thing that always sort of peaked my interest were the teams from the 1970s, with Rudy T, Moses and Calvin Murphy all in their prime, pushing Dr. J to the brink of the finals and such. But it seems that anything pre-1981 is all but lost, and the only thing I've ever managed to see was Game 5 of the 1977 ECF at Philadelphia. It'd be interesting to see how the Summit looked like back then, pre-3pt line, center court, with Houston legends battling Dr. J, Wilt, young Kareem, Havlicek, Pistol Pete etc. Just a random thought, anybody at all can share anything from this era? Or know where to find videos of this period?

1 person likes this.
  2. Know Your Role

VCR's were pretty expensive back then, survivors of the Jimmy Carter era only have stories and their pride.

The NBA and all other major sports (MLB, NFL, Formula 1, etc) should make older games/races available to consumers. The greatest era of Formula 1 was the mid 80's to early 90's and luckily fans were able to use VCR to record the races back then and recently upload them to a website called F1archies.com. Major sports should use this idea and maybe make a little bit of money off of it. Put up vintage games and I promise people will watch and pay for them. I'd love to see the twin tower rockets or showtime lakers in better than youtube quality videos.

3. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

My random thought is for people to stop rating their own crappy threads 5-stars. And I think if you did a little bit of research instead of just sitting on the couch watching ESPN classic you would see that the footage isn't lost, but outside of Houston there isn't much interest in the footage.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VWEqn5QmxUg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AXZZDc27c28" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Sorry for the aggression (just went back re-read it), I just realized I'm going to have to take my car to the dealer to get it worked on and I know that's not going to end well....

5. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Hey *******, did it ever occur to you maybe I didn't rate my own "crappy" thread 5 stars? And the Malone footage was from '81, and the Calvin Murphy mix isn't the type of footage I was talking about. ESPN Classic hardly ever puts on NBA games, so maybe think before you start attacking the new guy, d-bag.

6. bucket

bucket Member

That went downhill fast.

7. onreego

onreego Member

Well that escalated quickly. Brick stabbed a man with a trident.

8. rednation98

rednation98 Member

Only thing from the 1970s ive seen are the dunking contests on nbatv

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

piqued, not peaked.

1 person likes this.
  10. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Moving away from that rude distraction, there are tons of stuff on Youtube from almost every team except the Rockets from that era. The ONLY thing that is up currently is a game from 1979 between the Rockets and Spurs, but it's in San Antonio and we lost that one. Lol

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

In the Rockets first season , they didnt play in the Summit , they had "No home arena" thus played their games in many venues including the Astro Hall , Astrodome , Sam Houston Coliseum and Hofheinz Pavilion. I was lucky enough to attend games at each of those venues (damn Im old) .... They also played home games in San Antonio , Waco and Albuquerque NM during that first season in Houston.

They moved into the Summit in 1975 .... playing the majority of their games from '72 thru '74 in Hofheinz.

12. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Yes I knew that, in '75-76. Care to share the experience at the Summit in those days?:p Also why didn't they play at the Sam Houston Colliseum, since it was bigger than the Hofheinz Pavilion?

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hofheinz was a much better venue for basketball. The Coliseum was like a gigantic barn, with terrible acoustics. That's why I always wormed my way to the front at concerts there.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Me too. We might have been elbowing each other for position back then. :)

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I went to see Kareem (although I think he was still Lew Alcindor at the time) play the Rockets at Hofheinz. It had one of those early artificial floors at the time...

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

What? you don't rate your own threads 5 stars

17. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Nah I doubt it, Kareem changed it in '70-71, and Rockets moved form San Diego the next season.