1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6758497

Give them a player we aren't using for a player they aren't using. The move could help both teams. And the plus is that KJ has a team option next year so NO can decide if they want to keep him or free up the cap space.

What I like is that this trade would help us while letting us keep our 1st round pick, which we will probably have to use to jettison Brewer. That would give the Rockets about $20m to work with this summer.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porter is too expensive and Rockets don't have assets to make deal anyway. Neither Ariza, Bev or Splash will be included in any trade and one of these guys would be needed in package to get an up and comer like Porter.

Just sign Lance Stephenson instead. No picks or players required.

3. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Lance?

Lance Stephenson?

Really....?

I'd rather keep Bobby Brown than that chemistry killing, low IQ bum of player.

justtxyank likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

He played well with Grizzlies last season. He is better defender, scorer and ball handler than Brew, never mind a considerable upgrade over KJ. MDA also has a way of bringing out the best in talented players. Raja Bell's numbers jumped up under D'Antoni as well. But most importantly, Lance will bring some nastiness and intimidation on defense. Would only be competing with Brew and KJ for end of bench minutes in any event, or step in if injuries occur.

He's basically free, not too many guys with his skillset that are available for his price. Acquiring Porter, Wilson Chandler or Aaron Gordon are pipe dreams.

#1124 D-rock, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. Garner

Garner Member

we feel overdue for a juicy rumor

6. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I definitely see some Pros & Cons for going after Porter. I've wanted Aminu
    since the playoffs vs the Mavs in 14/15. I see Aminu stats are slightly better than
    Porter defensively; but Porter offers more offensively than Aminu. Many things the
    Rockets could benefit from. Curls of screen from Porter would give the Rockets a nice
    play D'Antoni could tinker with. The biggest Con......Reports out of Washington: they feel
    Otto will be offered Max money of $100 mil over 4 yrs (this summer). Avg cost of the
    contract would be about $25 mil. About $23-$24 mil beginning next yr with its
    increases. That's pretty steep.

#1126 Jatman20, Jan 12, 2017
  7. theDude

Supporting Member

8. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Not saying that you want us to go for Porter still. Just discussing the money part going into next yr.
    In post #1095. I speculated on a roster x next yr.....here it is with numbers: (per hispanosnba.com)

Capela ($2.3)..............Koufos ($8.4)
    Ryno ($19.58).....
    Porter ($23 mil+).......Ariza ($7.4). Would Porter new contract be 4 or 5 yrs?
    Harden ($28.3)............KJ ($3.5 team option). KJ in place of McLemore
    Beverley ($5.5)............Gordon (12.94)

#1128 Jatman20, Jan 12, 2017
  9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

#1129 Jatman20, Jan 12, 2017
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Wonder if Morey was ever interested in Joel Bolomby, another athletic 6'9 center. Terrific rebounder and leaper but not much of a rim protector/shot blocker, even with a 7-2 wingspan. Was just sent back down to D-League again, could be available for cheap.

Jatman20 likes this.
  11. awc713

awc713 Member

Wonder if Melo will be moved. Don't really want him in HOU, just curious to see what will happen. I mean, does anyone even want him given his contract, age, and style of play? Seems like a clear 3rd (or even 4th) tier superstar in the league these days...

12. BigMaloe

Oh no I'm definitely for him. Especially after looking much deeper into his stats. He's a perfect for here and perfectly transitions us from ariza next year if we decide to trade him. He is ariza(who has been amazing for us this year) but better. He's also much younger and has upside left still.

A former #3 player is gonna cost, but he's not really an all-star (yet?) and Washington is in financial ruin. They have to be concerned about maxing him out and being locked in to a not very good roster.

I think we can man him because the big guys when it comes to draft picks (Boston etc) are likely eyeing bigger fish.

I would have no problem giving him 25mill but would morey? I know Washington is nervous.

So any trade has to be low salary because his salary, also not to mention Washington would likely want to start fixing the checkbook.

Dekker and Harrell are young pieces with potential on rookie scale contracts. 1st rd picks are likely even more valuable under this new cba because it limits you to practically only drafting or trading for a star.

Dekker/montrezl/1st+ennis for filler I would do. I could be convinced in negotiations to add a 2nd but I would be immediately looking for a backup big.

Jatman20 likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still don't see the fit with Koufos on this team. Rockets don't really need a stretch 5. They need a 5 who will run the floor, rim protect, rebound and PNR. Koufos is more of a set shooter with limited lateral ability and no hops. He has some low post offensive ability and length but his overall skillset does not complement what MDA requires at the 5 spot.

Morey's alleged interest is confusing.

14. theDude

Supporting Member

Melo has a no trade clause. That team could go winless and he still wouldn't waive it.

15. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

PG/SG targets: Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Sean Kilpatrick, Mario Chalmers, Rajon Rondo, Jarrett Jack, Jeff Teague, Brandon Knight

SF targets: Hollis Thompson, Wilson Chandler

PF/C targets: Josh Smith, Nerlens Noel, Tyson Chandler, Jusuf Nurkic, Brandan Wright(If and when he gets healthy)

Any of these players i would either sign or trade for

#1135 HTX Ninja, Jan 12, 2017
  16. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Well there is nothing exciting about Koufos game.
    per NBA.com/stats
    ................................freq....................ppp....................eFG%.................league percentile.......
    Transition ..............7.9%..................1.47.....................75.0%.............................96.6.................
    PnR (Roll-Man)......11.2%.................1.42.....................75.0%.............................96.8................
    PnR (Ball Hand)......(N/A....Blank)
    Off Screen...............(N/A....Blank)
    Hand Off..................(N/A....Blank)
    Post up....................15.3%................0.91.....................57.7................................56.5................
    Cut............................36.3%...............0.94.....................52.3..................................9.8................
    Put-Backs................18.6%...............1.13......................57.9................................56.9...............

Tracking Defensive Impact
    ......................Mins............stl ...........Blk ............DReb...........DFGM..........DFGA............DFG%....
    Koufos
    ..........19.6.............0.5...........0.6...............3.9.................1.9...............3.8................49.7......
    Lucas (similar player position/mins)
    Nogueira........20.2............1.0...........1.7...............2.9.................3.6...............7.2................49.5......

Tracking Speed & Distance
    ..................dis miles....dis miles offense...dis miles defense..avg speed....avgSof....avgSdef....
    Koufos.......1.38/gm................0.74...........................0.64...................4.25..........4.44..........4.03.......
    Nogueira.....1.37/gm................0.72...........................0.65...................4.09..........4.31.........3.83......
    Antetokounmpo.......(greater mins)....................................................4.06..........4.58..........3.58.....
    avgSof= average speed on offense
    avgSdef= average speed on defense

So, not amazing numbers......but good enough for cost ($8 mil sal).

#1136 Jatman20, Jan 12, 2017
    ilias likes this.
  17. BigMaloe

You need to look back a couple pages on my post about koufos, he's definitely not how you described him. He is fantastic at PnR and a decent rebounded among other things. Look him up and research more often.

18. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

@D-rock per basketball-reference.com
    .........................ORtg...........DRtg...........blks...........stl.............ast............eFG%..........Rebs.........
    Koufos..............112.............108..............0.6............0.5.............0.6.............59%.............5.8..........

You know I would rather have Nerlens. I'm not holding my breath on that.

D-rock likes this.
  19. BigMaloe

How are you gonna cite elite PnR numbers koufos has and say nothing exciting pops out?

Outside of that he is average. But in this system under d'antoni playing with James he would be absolutely a perfect fit. He could also help with the bench

Edited later: I just realized his transition #s good lord. He's perfect for this offense lol

Jatman20 likes this.
  20. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I know....I know. I suspect it's mostly against back ups; but I checked him out on You Tube.
    He holds his own vs starters somewhat. I mainly looked at plays in PnR (envision Harden
    as Ball Handler). Not many lob-dunks.....but catch-gather-dunk or layup was good. Playing
    backup vs backups is what I mainly need him for. Adequate to good poduction at minimal
    cost has Morey written all over it.

ilias likes this.