1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Any possibility the Rockets could take advantage of the TWolves early season struggles. I'm thinking something like:

Ariza, Beverley, Harrell, pick for LaVine, Dieng, Muhammad

Doesn't exactly address the Rockets defensive problems, though Dieng gives you a Capela 2.0 in PF form (who can shoot free throws) and play some defense. Dieng is a very solid player. LaVine is a younger, better, taller, healthier version of Eric Gordon, and would flourish next to Harden (though he's already doing very well next to Wiggins). The biggest problem from the Rockets perspective might be since Dieng is a PPP contract, his salary jumps to $14 million next year. Which is a fair salary, but just means even if you don't pick up Muhammad's qualifying offer, you are still taking in $17+ million in 2017/2018 salary while getting rid of only only $14 million, so you lose $3 million of offseason cap space.

But assuming DM can move Brewer, I think you still have max or near max space (especially if you don't pick up KJ's option), so you make a hard run at Gordon Hayward then.

Key players if you can accomplish all that become: Harden, LaVine, Hayward, Ryno, Eric Gordon, Capela, Dieng, Dekker

Which is sneaky championship quality roster. Consider LaVine is already at 18+ ppg on solid efficiency, and still has tons of upside - he's 21 years old, Hayward is already at basically 20 ppg, and Harden is Harden. Defense remains a major issue, so you certainly round out the roster with a strong focus on defensive role players. But even then, I think there is defensive upside. A Dieng/Capela tandem in the frontcourt can be your defensive heavy lineup. Lavine/Harden/Hayward are all tall and above average rebounders for their position (Hayward averages 7+). They're not great defenders but there is upside. And frankly, imo, with the NBA being a backcourt/wing player league at this point, having that trio offensively would be very close to the best 1-2-3 in the league (obviously GS, probably Cleveland just on the strength of Lebron... but who else would be there??). And they'd still have Gordon off the bench, an improving Dekker. We'd have done a complete 180 from 2 years back when the offense in the backcourt/wing was Harden, Harden, Harden and then Harden.

Whether that results in wins on the court - I mean they did make the WCF when it was Harden going solo as backcourt scorer/creator - not sure, but I think it you fill the frontcourt with solid defenders that can switch PnRs (basically required these days) and rebound, and stretch the floor, you are on the right path - hence Capela, Dieng, Ryno.

Why Minnesota does it? Clearly not all their players are fitting with Thibs. Will Thibs be willing to wait 3-4 years for meaningful progress or be interested in more of a short-cut? Ariza and Beverley are both Thibs type players. They don't give you a ton offensively, but the TWolves already have their offensive cornerstones in Wiggins and Towns. They still have Rubio to move (though I never have expected they'd get much in return for him). Problem is they'd be a little weak at PG then, so unless they really believe in Dunn's future, that would certainly give them pause. And they'd be light at PF. But if Thibs was looking for a way to get a quick jolt of veteran leadership, defense and tenacity, he'd get it with this deal.

#221 JayZ750, Nov 22, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

OK here's my dream scenario.

Brewer, Ariza, Bev, Dekker, and Capela for Cousins and Gay

Sac only agrees to this because Cousins makes it known he is gone and Capela and Dekker are young cheap and full of potential to rebuild around WCS and whoever they draft this year.

Morey has had a hard on for Cousins since he was drafted.

Harden/Ennis
    Gordon/KJ
    Gay/KJ
    Anderson/Harrell
    Cousins/Nene

We get to the patented 8/9 man rotation and KJ and Harrell now get a boost in minutes we feel they deserve.

The reason I include Gay in this trade is he is expiring and if you renounce him and the cap goes up I believe there's enough space there to offer Hayward a max deal. So next year.

Harden/draft pick
    Gordon/KJ
    Hayward/KJ
    Anderson/Harrell
    Cousins/Nene

Seems very Moreyesque to me. Accumulate cheap young talent and trade for an established star. The move for Gay is just thinking on year ahead by clearing Brewer and Ariza off the books a year early.

3. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

lmao.

You really think the Wolves are gonna trade Lavine and Dieng for that?

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

This isn't really a trade so much as a series of roster moves....

1) At the beginning of free agency, Brewer is traded with either our newly drafted first round pick or our 2018 1st. Let's assume it's whoever we drafted in 2017.

2) The Rockets come to terms with Gordon Heyward on a 4 year, $120+ max deal, starting at about $28 million. This assumes a cap of $105 million.

3) We need to clear additional space to sign Gordon. Here is where we are on contracts....

28.3 Harden
    28.0 Heyward
    19.6 Anderson
    12.9 Gordon
    7.4 Ariza
    5.5 Beverley
    3.5 McDaniels
    2.3 Capela
    1.8 Dekker
    1.1 Harrell
    0.9 Onuaku
    0.9 Wiltjer

112.2 Total

The only significant move that needs to happen at this point is trading Ariza. That get us down to 104.8. We need to add back in a cap hold, but it's close enough to either negotiate with Gordon Heyward or trade someone like Harrell to makeup the difference. You probably can get a protected first or good 2nd round pick for Ariza.

McDaniels steps into Brewer's role. Dekker becomes like Eric Gordon....a super sub off the bench that get's starter like minutes.

4) We are left with one hole in our rotation....a backup center. Either Onuaku or Harrell has taken enough steps forward to fit into that role, or like this summer, we can use the room exception to sign any of the following: Hibbert, Pachulia, or Nene.

Harden / Gordon
    Beverley / McDaniels
    Heyward / Dekker
    Anderson / Dekker
    Capela / Nene

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not sure. Dieng has been on the squad for a bit now. LaVine is great, but it's not getting them anywhere.
    It's solely about getting Thibs... well, Thibs type players.

That said... point taken!

6. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

With Codman dropping some whispers in the Ryan Anderson thread I wanted to see what would work. If Sac Philly and Rox going to trade, do you think this is good enough to get it done?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=zr5l4fd

The Rockets would make out like bandits but it's not like the other teams are getting hosed. Especially if Sac is going full in tank mode.

7. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member

Really? Rockets are going to get arguably the best center in the league for Ariza and 2 bench warmers? To make it worst you have the Kings also giving up Rudy Gay who's been ballin.

8. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

corey brewer for omri casspi sac town probably won't be stupid to trade for brewer but casspi could help us because he's a really good three point shooter and can play some back up pf

9. Jimmy Chitwood

No. Just....no. Caspi is a garbage can.

10. Jimmy Chitwood

So Sacramento has 5 centers on their roster, but only 2 of them play because, well, they're the Kings and decided their roster was perfect for small ball. What could we give them to get Cauley-Stein or Skal? Or even Kofus?

11. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

yea im starting to like brewer alot again lol

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

We need a 3/4 man who can create.

Beverley actually runs this offense very well and has made our second unit much stronger overall.

I don't want to see Eric Gordon create more than a few plays a game.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Rudy Gay is the most attainable SF upgrade. Seems like in this offense a traditional Zbo/Al Jefferson low post 4 isn't a fit. Short of adding Kevin Love, Anderson is the best stretch 4 option.

Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Gordon Hayward would all fit the bill but none of those guys will be available. As I posted earlier I bet Morey is trying to finagle Cousins and Gay out of Sacramento offering young cheap rebuilding talent like Capela, Dekker, maybe Harrell or KJ. Even if you just added Gay it would give you increased cap flexibility when he exercises his option. It's the most plausible scenario IMHO.

basketballholic likes this.
  14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Hayward would be great.

15. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

[wQUOTE="Phillyrocket, post: 10785364, member: 4640"]Rudy Gay is the most attainable SF upgrade. Seems like in this offense a traditional Zbo/Al Jefferson low post 4 isn't a fit. Short of adding Kevin Love, Anderson is the best stretch 4 option.
    if rudy gay was on this team dan toni would put him as a 4 and I would actually like that because he's a decent post scorer
    Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard, Gordon Hayward would all fit the bill but none of those guys will be available. As I posted earlier I bet Morey is trying to finagle Cousins and Gay out of Sacramento offering young cheap rebuilding talent like Capela, Dekker, maybe Harrell or KJ. Even if you just added Gay it would give you increased cap flexibility when he exercises his option. It's the most plausible scenario IMHO.[/QUOTE]

16. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Ryno, Brewer, and KJ for Gay, Cauley-Stein, Casspi, and McLemore

Get flexibility for the offseason, there's potential for a 2010 Heat scenario if we can pull PG and Millsap.

BigggReddd likes this.
  17. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Before people rip on him for the rape trade, Stein is getting DNPs and the Kings traded Stauskas for nothing after they picked him high aswell. Also, the Kings need talent locked up longterm and they were wanting Ryno in the offseason

18. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Would the pacers actually consider letting go of PG?

19. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

On the Zach Lowe podcast with Marc Stein, Stein says the feeling around the league is that Larry would never trade PG, he would ride it out to the end.

20. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I'd rather take advantage of Phoenix's early season struggles. They have two players who could really take the Rockets to the next level in Bledsoe and Chandler -- two guys who play defense. A Capela/Chandler center tandem would give other teams fits and be a shot in the arm for our rebounding. And Bledsoe would be a fine second playmaker. With him and Ariza on the floor together playing defense, we could see some real improvement. Bledsoe and Chandler are the "old guys" on the Suns. Their season is going nowhere. Maybe they'd bite on a package of future picks, Dekker, Beverley, Harrell, maybe even Ariza.

Chamillionaire likes this.