1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2014-15

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 29, 2014.

1. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

You'd have to throw all the expirings in there. The TPE could be used to absorb a bad contract (Kevin Martin) from a third team to send an asset Phoenix's way though.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Harden for Dragic and PJ Tucker.
    Dwight for Millsap, Korver and picks.

That sounds doable.

Oh, you meant you want to get two all stars for Terrence Jones and Capela? :p

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Far too risky. What if Love leaves? You are back to rebuilding with an aging team.

They would be surrounding Love with 4 player who all had serious health issues over the last 4 years. What if something goes wrong? Does Love stay if the Rockets finish with 47 wins and outside the playoffs?

Heck, even if nothing goes wrong, Love could still decide to play with LeBron, Kyrie and Wiggins in the easier conference. The Cavs could easily create max cap space next summer, if Love just says a word.

Instead, how about just offer the Lin exception for Kevin Martin and have a great 6th man? I don't know if it's true that the Wolves want to get rid of Martin, but that's the rumor. That trade would make sense to me. Of course, Morey won't do it, he wants that flexibility and 3rd star. But to me, it makes sense compared to wasting a year.

4. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

Just had a thought. let me know what u think about this trade.

Rockets out: Jones, Beverley, Covington, Gee, Hopson, Powell
    Rockets In: M. Carter Williams, LLyasova

Mil Out: LLyasova, 1st rounder
    Mil In: Jones

Phi Out: M. Carter Williams
    Phi In: Beverley, Covington, Gee, Hopson, Powell, 1st Rounder from MIl.

M. Carter / Cannan
    Harden / Gibson / Johnson
    Ariza
    LLyasova / DMo
    Howard

seems like a strong starting lineup.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

So basically Philly gives up MCW for Beverley and a pick, and Milwaukee gives up Ilyasova and a pick for Terrence Jones.

I don't think either would consider it.

6. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Yep pretty much "in Morey we trust"

7. Raz

Raz Member

Sixers won't sell MCW that cheap. No way they give the Rookie Of The Year away for basically Beverley and a Pick. They don't need to save money, but if they choose to, they will trade Thad Young.
    I'm also not sold on Ilyasova. He missed 27 games last season and his 3P shooting seems to be gone (28%). Not worth paying 8M$ a year, when you already have a promising player in T-Jones.

8. gqgeo

gqgeo Member

The trolling and philosophy behind all these garbage trade proposals is out of this world

/thread

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Basketballholic, I know YOU want Cody Zeller on the Rockets. But what is the motivation for the Hornets to give up on Zeller? I see no reason why they would want to do that.

10. basketballholic

Good question. They did just draft another 4-man from Indiana (Vonleigh) in the lottery. Their motivation could be that they think Vonleigh has more potential and they can maximize their return now on Zeller before he possible flops. And here's the other part of it. They've got Stephenson and Kemba in the backcourt. Gerald Henderson is a Shooting Guard that can't shoot and MKG is a SF that can't shoot. And Lance isn't exactly a shooter either. And they're trying to win now. So if you put Ariza next to Kemba and Lance...now you've got D and shooting at the 3-spot.

And you give them depth with DMo/Capella and they get the lottery pick (which could turn into Karl Towns or somebody special) along with DMo/Capella.

I think it's about as fair a deal as they can get and I'd actually do the deal without getting back MKG but take Jeff Taylor instead.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Now, why would the Rockets want Zeller? We're also trying to win now, we also want players who can shoot and play defense. Why would we trade our veteran starting SF who can shoot and play defense, a lottery pick, 2 young big's with potential, for just another PF prospect who puts up similar numbers to Motieunas, and who Jones is much better then?

12. meyaoyoujane

meyaoyoujane Member

Can we try to get Rondo and Bass? Rondo into our cap space and Bass into our Trade exception?

Out:

Gee
    T.Jones
    Hopson
    Covington
    Ish or Canaan
    New Orleans pick
    2015 First

Boston can waive most of these guys and have a bunch of picks for their rebuild. Maybe throw in some cash for the partially guaranteed contracts.

LIne up would be:

PG: Rondo/Bev/Canaan or Ish
    SG: Harden/Daniels/N.Johnson
    SF: Ariza/Vet minimum guy
    PF: Bass/DMo/Adrien
    C: Howard/Dorsey/Capela

That's a strong five defensively (minus Harden ofc) and a balanced 2nd Unit.

Is this doable financially?

13. Airdough

Airdough Member

Without being able to combine the TPE with other salaries, the Rockets are limited into how much salary they can acquire. Teams looking to rebuild are not going to want 3.5 years of Ariza at $8MM per at the deadline to help make up for the salary shortfall. Plus trading Ariza leaves a gaping hole at small forward.

Best option would be to trade the non-guranteeds (including a sign and traded Garcia) plus euro stashes for Ersan and Knight. Might have to include a pick but neither player are in Milwaukee's future while both would provide depth at positions of need.

Struggling to find fits in trades as I am not sure the Rockets have the salaries to even make Rondo happen. Hard to find potential deals where salaries matches can happen within the rules of the CBA that also wouldn't hurt the already limited depth on the roster.

14. basketballholic

Because Cody Zeller is going to be a superstar....real soon.

15. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Bima has touched on both Barea and the Haywood contract and I wonder if the Rockets would say no if they could be the 3rd team in a Kevin Love to Cavs trade. We don't have the pieces to get Love, so I think the following could be a solid consolation to make us better for 2014-15 and maintain flexibility for 2015 and moving forward.

Rockets Out:
    Alonzo Gee contract, Scotty Hopson Contract
    Rockets In: JJ Barea, Brendan Haywood

TWolves Out: Kevin Love, JJ Barea
    TWolves In: Two of (Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett, Dion Waiters, and Anthony Wiggins), Unguaranteed deals of (Gee, Hopson, Lucas III, & Thomas), 2015 1st round pick

Cavs In: Kevin Love
    Cavs Out: Two of (Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett, Dion Waiters, and Anthony Wiggins), Unguaranteed deals of (Lucas III & Thomas), 2015 1st round pick, Brendan Haywood

I am still not convinced the Cavs will include Wiggins and I don't think they should. I think compromising by involving Houston and letting us take Barea without giving them any extra guaranteed salary and not have to give up an asset to trade him will work. I think for the Cavs they should include whatever they need to, to get Love without giving up Wiggins. Give up an extra 1st and the Haywood deal if you must, but keep Wiggins. I think the ideal deal for them is Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, and 2 1st round picks for Love. And I think ultimately the Wolves would have to take that package because they won't do any better.

For Houston we trade up the value of those non-guaranteed deals (getting 150% of them with the ability to 150% them again if a deal is available this year), get a competent and proven backup PG, get a competent and proven backup C, and get the Haywood contract (a non-guaranteed $10M deal for 2015-16) as a great trade piece. This is done without adding any guaranteed money beyond this season. Plus the Rockets keep the Jeremy Lin TPE. They could be a much better contender for 2014-15 and still walk into 2015-16 FA with a $8.4 TPE and Haywood's unguaranteed salary which they could match + $5M. That essentially allows them to take an almost maximum contract and absorb another contract as needed from the team facilitating the S&T.

The Cavs get their great #2 player and become the best team in the league, IMO. This is especially true if the deal is Thompson and Waiters, while they keep Bennett and Wiggins. They also avoid taking back any salary other than Love. For that price they pay the Haywood contract, which could be incredible piece with which to add a 4th big money player or a couple very good rotational players via trade.

16. basketballholic

I'd do that deal for obvious reasons.

However...remember in the Love trade Minny ideally wants to move Kevin Martin.

And that is why I'm still not convinced that Love to Cleveland is done. They gotta figure out what to do with Martin.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Mentioned this in another thread:

Trade #1

Houston In: Rondo
    Boston In: TJones, Capela, NOP 2015 #1, NYK 2015 2nd, Gee, Hopson, Covington, Powell

Trade #2

Houston In: Josh McRoberts
    Miami In: DMo, Canaan, Llull

Sign Marion with the MLE. Sign O'Neal with the BAE.

Rondo / Beverley / Johnson
    Harden / Daniels
    Ariza / Marion
    McRoberts / Adrien
    Howard / O'Neal / Dorsey

18. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Am I the only one who's not exactly a big fan of rondo? For a 3 point shooting team, he's not exactly a strong shooter.

19. Airdough

Airdough Member

Martin could come to the Rockets in a 3 team Love deal by being absorbed into the TPE. Might even get an asset in the form of an extra pick or euro stash for making that happen. K-Mart is still only a year removed from playing the Harden role with OKC and helping them to higher offensive efficiency ratings than they had with Harden.

20. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

How about...

Suns get Jeff green
    Rockets get Dragic, Bass
    Celtics get non guaranteed contracts and NOP pick