1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Here is my uneducated guess at what’s going to happen.
    No one is going to want to take on Knight’s contract. Morey will shop Chriss, Melo and this years first round pick for a backup 4-5. I have my fingers crossed that he can somehow get Portis with that. Then they will look at the buyout market for a vet 3-4. I’m still looking at Ariza or Carrol here.
    I don’t expect any major fireworks at the trade deadline but hopefully they come away better and deeper than they are now.

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

These are my bold statements:

First round has decreased value the past 4 weeks. it needs 2 future first round picks to attach with Knight for an expiring contract by the deadline.
    There is not many good players out there. Morey is more likely to dump salary than upgrade the rosters. At this point, a team needs to add future salary or future picks to upgrade.

3. HP3

HP3 Member

I mean yea I agree, but it all depends on how they view Beal, do they think Beal(at 25) will eventually be a top 5 player in the nba that can take you to a championship or do they believe they he's not that and is only allstar to fringe superstar level player. If its the latter, they should trade him and start their rebuild. If not....well will see, maybe they could get creative.

4. BigBum

BigBum Member

The 2019 first round pick is most likely to be stabled with Knight contact together either next 4 weeks or in summer. The only way for Tilman to get luxury tax income is to stretch out Knight contract. Some posters pretends to be wise persons and believe Morey can unload the All salary of Nene, Chriss and Melo this season. I don't believe that.

#1004 BigBum, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

ORL is desperate for upgrade at PG, they may be the only ones willing to take on Wall's contract.

HOU trades: Knight/Nene/Chriss/Melo/VEdwards/2019, 2021, 2023 FRP
    HOU receives: Aaron Gordon/Willie Cauley-Stein, ORL 2019 SRP

ORL trades: Aaron Gordon/ 2019 SRP
    ORL receives: John Wall/Skal Labissiere

WAS trades: John Wall/2019 SRP
    WAS receives: Knight/Melo/Hartenstein/HOU 2021 FRP

SAC trades: Willie Cauley-Stein/Skal Labissiere
    SAC receives: Chriss/Nene/Vince Edwards/ HOU 2019 & 2023 FRP/WAS 2019 SRP

Houston gains starting 4/small ball 5, improves overall defense, 4-5 depth, scoring, rebounding and gets younger. WCS is insurance for Clint during regular and post season.

Orlando finally acquires an All Star PG while clearing up logjam at 4-5 and allowing them to pay Vucevic next season. Vucevic is Magic's true franchise player of the present, not Gordon, while Isaac is their future franchise player who complements Vucevic.

Washington is rid of Wall's contract and internal issues (Wall vs. Beal), adds a young former lottery pick PG as well plus a first round pick in 2021. Also adds another scorer in Melo for practically zero dollars. East is likely only place Melo can continue to play (with MEM as only possible exception). Also receive promising young big in Hartenstein.

Sacramento gains 2 first round picks, high 2nd round pick and contracts it can shed to enter the FA sweepstakes next season. Also reduces congestion at 4-5 with their multitude of young 4-5 players. Kings were not going to pay WCS with so many young bigs acquired in last few seasons (Bagley, Giles, Koufos, etc.). Nene can mentor their young bigs while Chriss is popular local kid returning home. VE is a free look at wing, a need.

Rockets Roster:

Harden/EGo
    CP3/Rivers
    House/Green
    AGordon/PJ/Clark
    Capela/WCS/Bruno

luckyman76, fattz and varughese.arun like this.
  6. Bo6

Bo6 Member

good points. you don't think they'd be entertained at going all in on this season and adding Eric Gordon? can't help but think he'd be amazing at spacing the floor for them and give them a dynamic scorer off the bench.

7. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I don’t think that the 2019 pick is enough to unload Knight. Chriss is not guaranteed next year so he is pretty much expiring. Chriss and the 2019 first might be enough to get Portis. Then they can unload melo with cash just like they did with MCW. That will save some money this season.

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I think the Bulls view Portis as more valuable than the 25th pick (or around there) in the draft.

luckyman76 and DM'sVP like this.
  9. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

That’s why I said “might be enough”. There are a lot of factors such as if Portis is one of the players who hates the coach and doesn’t want to resign there this offseason. Maybe the Rockets first is the best that the Bulls can get for Portis this season.

10. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Anyone concerned EG is the one of Pelicans with his injury? He might be going back to his injury days of the Pelicans. Maybe we should seriously consider trading him.

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Lakers fans think Swap Lonzo Ball For Kemba Walker. Lakers can beat Rockets in the playoffs.

12. BigBum

BigBum Member

2019 first round pick has decreased value, so does Gordon.

Gordon's value will continue to decrease as the time goes on. Tilman won't be a bid winner if Gordon becomes a free agent.

13. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Lakers fans high AF if they think Lonzo Bust can get them Kemba Walker

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Just a thought ….. but with Walls contract being so bad , maybe they would take multiple picks for Beal , some of which they could package with Wall to dump that contract while keeping their own picks which should be better picks , assuming they are blowing it up.

3 picks in for Beal .... 2 out with Wall while taking players with this year and one more maximum. They tank it up next year from the get go , move everyone of value by midseason and clear the books for the following FA ?

Would one of Cav's , Knicks , Hawks , Bulls , Griz , Suns take two picks for taking Wall for matching salary??

HP3 likes this.
  15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

16. HP3

HP3 Member

You never know, one thing is for sure is that if Beal keeps playing like he has been, the asking price is gonna get higher.

Actually...I think the Cavs might be willing to do what you're asking maybe.

17. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I know Morey has a plan A to a plan Z. But what about a last ditch plan in case he can't get a player that will really make a difference? The Kings are the only team in the league right now that can take a salary dump.

Houston trades
    2019 1st round pick
    2020 2nd round pick
    Brandon Knight
    Isaiah Hartenstein

Sacramento trades
    Nemanja Bjelica

24 MPG
    10.6 PPG
    50/43/78 shooting splits (59 eFG%)
    1.3 threes per game
    Ages 30-32
    6-10 PF
    '19- 6.5m
    '20- 6.8m
    '21 - 7.1m

Pros: Under luxury tax, gain full MLE for 2019 free agency, improves depth with decent stretch 4

Cons: Lose draft picks, Bjelinca isn't a game changer, and is on a cheap 3 year contract

Chamillionaire likes this.
  18. Chamillionaire

Losing those picks hurts for sure, but with a healthy CP and EG back, we would definitely be better with a stretch 4.

19. Fantasma Negro

Rockets: Kevin Love, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson

Cavs: B. Knight, Fat Gordon, 2 Rox 1st round picks

Nets: Melo, Hartenstein, Bulls 2nd round pick

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

IF Bucks have given up on Maker, might this trade work?

Rockets
    out: Gordon, Nene (we save $4m next season), Chriss, Melo, Cash, 2nd rounder
    in: Demarre Carroll (backup forward), Ed Davis (backup C)

Bucks
    out: George Hill, Thon Maker
    in: Gordon, Nene, Chriss (assume they'll waive), Melo (assume they'll waive), Cash to waive Melo

Nets
    out: Carroll, Davis
    in: Hill, Maker, HOU 2nd Rounder

For the Bucks they're doing so well and Hill has not been doing so well so I assumed they might be interested in trading him (since Brogdon/Bledsoe are both PG's playing well) for more of a SG type in Gordon at the price of Gordon on a pretty good, short contract.

For the Nets, I think those players are walking anyway, so they might find some value in paying Hill's $1m waiving "Fee" in exchange for taking a chance on turning around Maker's career.

Lots of assumptions on my part. I'm very interested in what anyone thinks of this from the Bucks and Nets perspective and their valuation of their assets. From the Rockets perspective, I get that many people believe we must keep Gordon unless it's for a superstar. I'm happy with Rivers/Knight/Green as backup guards to Harden and Paul.